What's new
What's new

looking for R8 tooling for mill

amosfella

Plastic
So, I bought a new to me mill that takes R8 tooling. My previous mill took MT3 tooling. So, I was hoping to find someone getting rid of a set of Hardinge R8 collets, a face mill around 3 inches with R8 spindle with replaceable carbide inserts and extra inserts, and maybe a reversing tapping head that'll do 3/4". I'd also look at some end mills. Can be resharpened. Would like a few roughing mills with corner chamfer.

I'm in Canada.

Thanks.

So, I bought a new to me mill that takes R8 tooling. My previous mill took MT3 tooling. So, I was hoping to find someone getting rid of a set of Hardinge R8 collets, a face mill around 3 inches with R8 spindle with replaceable carbide inserts and extra inserts, and maybe a reversing tapping head that'll do 3/4". I'd also look at some end mills. Can be resharpened. Would like a few roughing mills with corner chamfer.

I'm in Canada.

Thanks.

I have an extra set of Lyndex R8 collets new in the box. Was not thinking of selling them, let me figure out a price. I have never shipped to Canada, is it a PITA or what?

Shipping up here shouldn't be an issue Moonlight, afalk you get a customs declaration that allows filling out the value of the item being shipped at the post office and/or there also might be a country of origin to fill out. It's just a one page document that gets affixed to the outside of the box. Your local post office will know everything you need to check off or fill out, but it's all pretty simple. For the OP there should be no actual duty owing because machine tools or tooling doesn't have any duty on them, but HST will be applied for the items value. Wish I'd known about your R8 collets before as that's something I've been half assed looking for myself.

Shipping to Canada isnt as bad as other countries... but it isnt cheap either. Its funny how shipping from Canada to the US is about the same as shipping in the US. But the other way it is several times more expensive.

That said and done I have some R8 stuff.

Here is the picture.

G) R8 saw arbor $10
H) R8 shell mill arbor 1 1/8 X 18 $15
J) Weldon end mill holders 1", 5/8", 1/2", 3/8", 3/16" and 1" no name $55

Do yourself a favor and get some Hardinge collets, you don't need very many. All the other ones are questionable (my experience with Lyndex collets is variable, overall not positive (both R8 and 5C)). Also, any old face-mill will not work well on a light-duty R8 machine, a high-positive rake cutter with uncoated polished inserts is good (like Iscar F45 ST (make sure it is an ST version) this works great on a BP up to 3" dia, using polished inserts).

This mill isn't a Bridgeport. It's a craftex cx601. Seems like an ok mill. I generally only use collets for milling, and not endmill holders.

I got this for small projects. The big mill is a bit of a process to get going, and is a Vernamo U3.

So, I've been getting messages offering tooling from folk with 0 posts on the forum, and 0 likes given or received.

Makes me wonder if scammers.

I have an extra set of Lyndex R8 collets new in the box. Was not thinking of selling them, let me figure out a price. I have never shipped to Canada, is it a PITA or what?

I'd consider Lyndex. Would prefer Hardinge for the ones I use the most though, which would be the 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and now with a bigger mill maybe 5/8.

Pro collets for a hobby mill making parts for NASA?

:D:crazy: Ya, NASA is going to be my biggest customer.

In seriousness, some of the projects are pretty time sensitive, and with the possibility of shortages, I'd rather not have an equipment failure when I'm doing one of those projects. Mother nature is a cruel taskmaster.

Back