What's new
What's new

Lufkin 1900 series 0"-12" outside micrometer boxed set value?

D_Guns

Plastic
Hi all,

I have a boxed set of twelve Lufkin micrometers and I have no idea much they are worth. Also some way to possibly date them would be helpful. I did some digging on the internet this weekend and came up empty handed for what a kit like this is worth; mainly because the great oracle "google" came up empty without even a single picture of what I have. I figured that I had better ask the experts on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The set is complete with the majority of the mic's in great condition, most have 90+ percent original paint, and no chipping or visible wear to the anvils. The anvils according to the Lufkin catalog are hardened tool steel not carbon, none of them appear to have been dropped nor visibly damaged, and the the ratchet/locking mechanisms all function properly. The 1-2 and 2-3 mic's have the most surface wear and tear which is to be expected; I've been told due to their more frequent use cases. Also of note this kit does not have the standards included, as it was an option per the Lufkin catalog #7 I found online (1906-1978)???, but has the original never installed chrome side handles in original packaging at the bottom of the wooden crate.

Since it is my first time on this forum please let me know if I should relocate this post to another more proper area besides where its posted. I'll also be very happy to take and post any further pictures of the mic's.

IMG_3762.jpgIMG_3763.jpgIMG_3764.jpgIMG_3765.jpgIMG_3766.jpg

Last edited:
Lufkin has been out of the micrometer business for decades. I think the name is still put on tape measures.

Old used common outside micrometers of no collector interest are worth very little. As you know, the small ones get worn and are often offered at prices as low as $1 at flea markets. There are some Lufkin micrometers on eBay today as low as $3.99. Think fancy C-clamp. The larger sizes are seldom used, so some old ones are still useable. People who use micrometers know that they may never need a big one and are hesitant to pay the price of a new, good quality one. They are willing to buy a decent used one just in case, and pay maybe $10 or $25 on the chance that it will still be accurate enough and that they may need it someday. Of course, eBay has examples of Lufkin micrometers with higher asking prices, but those will probably never sell until the price is reduced.

Larry

To answer your question. Lufkin made very nice mic's as did Miller Falls, but they never got the respect that LS Starrett or B&S garnered and they go for next to nothing today. The set you have is I think from the mid to late 1950's

I've a small collection of really unique mic's just cause they were very cool and for the day "State of the Art". All NOS and none of them cost me more than $25/ea which is unfortunate. Some at the the time they were new went for 10X the cost of a Starrett 230 of the same vintage.

I like older Lufkin machinist stuff. It's always been of great quality in my experience. Right up there, along with the usual suspects. Some types of Lufkin micrometers are a little better than others - I don't much like the older skinny thimbled ones. They do have a pretty neat setup in the thread that acts as a sort of backlash eliminator though. Instead of the tapered collet thread arrangement with a nut like Starrett uses, there's a sort of sliding section of thread that's spring loaded, pushing against the solid section, effectively eliminating any backlash with no adjustment needed. It takes a little finagling to get one back together if it's unscrewed all the way - the spring loaded section has to be held compressed while the thread starts or it is misaligned and will jam, possibly causing damage. I'm not sure if the fat thimbled ones use the same system or if they changed it later.

I pieced together a set of Lufkin mics from 0 to 8" about 20 years ago when eBay was starting out. Have around $150 tied up in all of the mics. Most all of them have very little use and still have most of the original "olive" paint finish on all of them. I consider them in very good shape. The only disadvantage is none of them have carbide faces on them as most other mics have this feature. Probably can't get half of what I have in them today. I don't use them, just have them as part of my collections of old measuring tools. Have other brands of mics that I use when one is needed. Ken

Probably for the better that they didn't have carbide faces. Most of the 1950's mic with carbide faces seem to be chipped; where-as a lot of the old steel ones still look good when put to optical flats.

Sorry for the delay guys life has been quite distracting lately. Again I do really appreciate everyone's feedback as I am no expert on these matters.

It is a complete set as the "missing" micrometer was being checked out by my roommate whom is a machinist and was just on his work bench at the time. I still have not found what this set is worth in the collectors market. Just referencing the original catalog these were not your everyday micrometers but a particular set meant for production work which makes them rarer still to have survived. I know they are not cutting edge tools that todays production or even hobby machinists would buy/use in everyday use. I highly doubt however they are just worth a bit more than scrap value. I saved these as I like old tools and once my machinist friend gave them a once over at the sellers place I picked them up.

No carbide faces, no tenths verniers, no standards, and paint condition would seem to indicate that they weren't treated gingerly. They're also of a little older style. All of those mean that you aren't going to get top dollar regardless. Just for comparison purposes I picked up a nearly brand new set of secondhand Starretts, 0-12" with carbide faces, tenths verniers and a full set of standards for about $650 shipped around 10 years ago. I would expect the Lufkin set you've got would go for considerably less than half that.

20201031_124356.jpg

Sorry for the delay guys life has been quite distracting lately. Again I do really appreciate everyone's feedback as I am no expert on these matters.

It is a complete set as the "missing" micrometer was being checked out by my roommate whom is a machinist and was just on his work bench at the time. I still have not found what this set is worth in the collectors market. Just referencing the original catalog these were not your everyday micrometers but a particular set meant for production work which makes them rarer still to have survived. I know they are not cutting edge tools that todays production or even hobby machinists would buy/use in everyday use. I highly doubt however they are just worth a bit more than scrap value. I saved these as I like old tools and once my machinist friend gave them a once over at the sellers place I picked them up.

So why did you post them in the for sale section ?

Forgot to mention that these aren't really going to be worth much as a "collector's item." They aren't old enough or in good enough condition. In terms of collecting, for precision tool items the valuable stuff is going to be very very old or in pristine condition - or both. Or be from a manufacturer that was legendary for quality, like one of the Swiss makers. Lufkin wasn't that, nor rare enough to be super collectible either. About the only way I see those bringing more than the guys have already mentioned is if you find a guy looking who went through an apprenticeship using those and had fond memories of such. And has lots of money to throw around. That's going to be about a million to one odds I'd guess. I gather that's not what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is.

No carbide faces, no tenths verniers, no standards, and paint condition would seem to indicate that they weren't treated gingerly. They're also of a little older style. All of those mean that you aren't going to get top dollar regardless. Just for comparison purposes I picked up a nearly brand new set of secondhand Starretts, 0-12" with carbide faces, tenths verniers and a full set of standards for about $650 shipped around 10 years ago. I would expect the Lufkin set you've got would go for considerably less than half that.

View attachment 318226

I have a 0-12 Starrett set I bought about a year ago. No standards, no carbide faces, no tenths for $300 on eBay plus some shipping. So I would say your assessment is spot on.

In 2013 ish I bought a 0-6" Mitutoyo set, brand new in bags with dessicant, tenths, carbide faces, box, made in Japan for $50. Also got a 160 year anniversary 6" caliper Browne and Sharp for $20 at same place. Brand new as well. Guy said he was hard up for money. I suspect they may have been stolen, but no markings so I scooped them up. ;)

I think you guys are being pessimistic. And just because you got a great price lowballing some grandma at an estate sale, doesn't make it market value.

Prices on used stuff are going crazy right now. A few months ago I saw a Starrett 6-12" boxed set on ebay for $500. No carbide, no tenths IIRC. It sold FAST. I ended up putting together my own set for $6-700. I imagine that the 0-12" sets are going for $1000.

Granted that is Starrett, newish and nice looking. Lufkin will go for half of that.

And are you willing to deal with Ebay BS to get a better price? Or are you trying to sell them here?

I don't think so, but market values do vary a bit based on location. And those are not Starretts; in a sale they won't come anywhere near the price of a set of Starrett mics IMO. If they were in really great shape maybe a bit closer, but these look a little beat up to me. I wouldn't even entertain buying them just based on that beat-up appearance, and I like Lufkin mics. And I watch prices pretty close. Not very long ago at all I was watching a set of Lufkin mics from 2"-10" that went for something like $180.

No disrespect to the OP and it really doesn't appear there for sale anyway. But the assessments on there actual value so far seem more than fair. Yeah Lufkin made as good or possibly/maybe arguably better than say Starrett B&S etc. Average realistic pricing on used metrology gear at 90% or better condition is roughly 50%-60% of new. And even that would be for the better known names. Just the dirt built up in the thimble knurling, general patina and shop wear shows most of these were used a lot. eKretz numbers are I'd say just about spot on. And yeah there's at least some home shop guys who don't know much who will certainly pay more than what there really worth. That's still not a realistic value. Properly checked out by a metrology lab with a verifiable certification for anvil flatness and measurement repeatability might at best move the price up another 20%. As is and with all the unknowns maybe a couple of hundred and I still wouldn't want them myself because of the added costs for that check and I'm a home shop guy. There really only capable of comparing measurements from one tool or part to the next and not a known measurement tool that could be fully trusted.

I too am a home shop guy and put together a set of 1900 series lufkin mics from 0-6". Mostly becasue i just like lufkin tools for some reason that is a mystery to me. I think i paid between $15 and $20 per mic after shipping.

I paid $100 for a set of 0-6 Starrett mics with standards in the velvet lined box, so reasonably aged.

They serve my needs the four times a year I need to measure something larger than two inches with that degree of accuracy.

Back