Machinist Tweezer - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tci_ View Post
    Definitely found a touchy subject title. Maybe the mod can change the title so as to be less offensive. My apologies. I would hate to accidentally mislead some future searcher who came to the machinists forum in search of some other type of tweezer. That would be a tragedy.
    And here comes the snark... Another one of THOSE noobs.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These do look particularly heavy duty. Not sure that would help me because it always seems I need the smallest tweezer ends possible.

Can you comment on how they compare to the variety of Swiss made Dumont tweezers available? I use Dumonts everyday and I've yet to find tweezers that work better.

3. Likes Tci_ liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharps1874 View Post
    On our first date to a fraternity "woodsie" over 50 years ago my now-wife fell in love (she claims) picking cactus spines out of my hand. She's been removing my splinters ever since, and usually starts by plowing the epidermis with a sewing needle. I just sent a link to her i-Pad with an inquiry about practicality. We have quite a collection of tweezers, but you may be hearing from me again. You seem like a decent fellow. Ignore the nay-sayers. Kim
    Who can resist a love story?

I used to use sewing needles for removing splinters, but found a better tool years ago. Accu-Chek Softclix lancets consist of a .015" diameter sterile needle molded in a plastic handle with a twist-off cap. The end has a razor sharp faceted end that will go straight into skin and then can cut laterally and pry a tiny sliver out of the skin. Think microscopic knife. I keep a few unused ones near my shop microscope and the combination makes splinter removal pretty straightforward. They are sold in drugstores in boxes of 100 for around $10. There are cheaper brands, but I have not tried them and can't say if they would work as well. I do know that the handle of One Touch Delica lancets is too small to hold.

As for tweezers, I taught myself watch repair about 60 years ago and still have dozens of different tweezers, many made by Dumont in Switzerland, probably the best made. I like the No. 5 for pulling wood splinters. One of the watch repair skills is being able to sharpen tweezers with oil stones if the tips get bent or broken. But I like the lancets for most splinter removal.

Standard Tweezers Straight

Larry

dsc02271.jpg dsc02272.jpg

5. Likes BugRobotics, sfriedberg, JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BugRobotics View Post
    These do look particularly heavy duty. Not sure that would help me because it always seems I need the smallest tweezer ends possible.

Can you comment on how they compare to the variety of Swiss made Dumont tweezers available? I use Dumonts everyday and I've yet to find tweezers that work better.
    They are very sharp even to the point of being dangerous. The wire cut process left some scaling or residue on them that was a little unsightly so I sanded the sides with 320 grit to polish them back up and twice accidentally punctured my fingers in the process. I have about 10 other sets of various tweezers around here that I have tried out but was not satisfied. Granted most of them were not expensive none costing more than $8. The ones I looked at that WERE expensive were still just normal tweezers but probably better metal. The best pert about the design of these IMO is that there is additional steel wider from the tip that lets you get some real pinching force on these without the typical bending/flexing that happens on normal tweezers.

For my use I need a tweezer with an extremely fine tip that will not deform over time. I mentioned before that I have a shirt business on the side and we do a lot of cut vinyl to press onto shirts. Many designs have little tiny pieces inside the a's and b's that have to be plucked carefully out from off a sticky carrier sheet after they have been cut on my plotter. These are pretty much the only tools I have found that work very good for this. Others an get the job done but slower and often gouge the surrounding vinyl or sometimes grab the wrong part that was supposed to stay. I got by for a couple years before I happened across these by accident and once I had one pair I went back for more. My girls steal them and run off to college with them. They swear by them to pluck eyebrows. I have 7 daughters so you can see why my supply has disappeared. I have also given a couple pair away to good friends as birthday or Christmas presents.

For me I am not expecting this to be some sort of revenue stream. I know there aren't enough people in the world who need a pair of tweezers bad enough to justify a $25 expenditure. I threw close to $850 at 50 of them. Simple math. IF I can sell off 30 or so at $25 which is the price I was paying here when I could get them then that nets me $750 and 20 left over to keep for a hundred bucks or I sell another 4 or 5 and have no expense into my 15 left at that point. That will probably be the end of it unless guys like you-all start clamoring to get more. Guys like you have the technical knowhow to make some yourself. You guys are probably the few who know what good quality steel costs and then the heat treat and the work of cutting or shaping them. I have sold 6 in the first few days here locally. One guy wanted one and after holding it bought three more. He was a cabinet installer.

neilho has a set in the mail to him and I asked him to give an honest appraisal and review. At least then you guys can have word from someone you know and trust instead of some shlub who just showed up here.

7. Likes BugRobotics liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you did a little story of making them (with pics) of what the steps you took to produce and finish these that would go a long way twords selling some. Start with why you needed to make them in the first place. Maybe youtube it and sell lots more??

Seems you are doing a good job of climbing out of the hole you dug yourself into in post #1

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    If you did a little story of making them (with pics) of what the steps you took to produce and finish these that would go a long way twords selling some. Start with why you needed to make them in the first place. Maybe youtube it and sell lots more??

Seems you are doing a good job of climbing out of the hole you dug yourself into in post #1
    I appreciate that. I am not that worried about it. IF I sell none at all I'll just write it off and have plenty of tweezers. The actual design is not even mine I just made a similar one to the ones I can't find anymore. I would have gladly bought them form someone else had I been able to find them. I came to the forum back around Christmas looking and read a post on here discussing good tweezers. I think Google found it and that's how I found the forum in the first place. I read all the posts, looked at what you guys had and not a dang one was near the tweezers I was looking for. I moved on and searched hecks half acre and no luck. I already shelled out over $200 for the ones I have bought from my old supplier over a 4 year period. Down to one remaining and needed more. $850 for a lifetime supply is still ok. I've paid more for a single flat tip screwdriver from Snap On than the $25 so I am a little flabbergasted at the vehemence that has come from this whole escapade. I don't buy many crap tools. The quality remains long after the price has been forgotten.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tci_ View Post
    I am a little flabbergasted at the vehemence that has come from this whole escapade. I don't buy many crap tools. The quality remains long after the price has been forgotten.
    In post #1 you came across as someone who bought a "lot" of tweezers (we did not know where from so have to think going out of business sale or some such) asking for the price printed on the packaging, (we did not know then it was your packaging.
    IF you had started out with all the info you have drip fed into the thread you would have had a much nicer welcome.

Nobody likes crap tools and I for one like a good pair of tweezers. I used to have a nice small pair that was a gift years ago, made for splinter removal. Similar to these but with ground tips (like yours) that you could really dig in to get deep splinters out. A buddy asked to use them once for a splinter and instead of handing them back to me he set them on the back of my truck without telling me.... gone now
    Link to dull tweezers:
    Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper Precision Tweezers Stainless Steel Bottled Survival 730886006000 | eBay

Anyway, if you did the story people would think that $25 for a pair of precision machined, hardened, tool steel tweezers is to good a deal too pass up.
    Paying that money to an auction scrounger trying to make a quick buck....not so much.

11. Likes Tci_, Larry Dickman, eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

" One of the watch repair skills is being able to sharpen tweezers with oil stones if the tips get bent or broken. "

Rule of the world: they always land point down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The wife says no, she does not need another set of tweezers. But, dammit, I'm a sucker for nice little tools, so I'll take a chance. It's MY hand that she digs splinters out of. See your PM box. If she refuses to use them, I'll find a good use in the shop. Do you have anything to help her eyesight? Kim

14. Likes Tci_ liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    OP is from Idaho, not Montana....
    He might be moving to Montana soon... Gonna be a tweezer tycoon.

16. Likes Rudd liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you to those who have shown interest. In hindsight I should have told the story but I thought it would seem contrived.

To eKretz- I actually considered the name Sliver Master to start with but in building a logo it just didn’t fit together as well. You guys are actual machinists so maybe it’s one of those oft misquoted things that naturally get under your skin that the uninitiated tread on too lightly. We have several similar things in the vinyl world. Every newbie calls a Cutter a Printer or refer to a cut decal as a sticker. I apologize for letting my irritation show in my response. As I mentioned I am a moderator on a vinyl forum and completely understand that it’s really easy to take the written word the wrong way and it’s also common for the mob mentality to come into play, even if unintentionally and pile on with the flaming.

None of you here know me even a little bit. I am a construction manager by day and small business owner by night. As I consider myself a responsible member of society and a stand-up guy I want add to my sales pitch. If any who buy find them to be less than what I have portrayed and are unhappy with the purchase I will give a full refund if you send them back. I realized I never made that any part of my presentation but is certainly how I feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kenscabs View Post
    I think most will miss the Montana reference. I saw Zappa many times in So. Cal. I can only imagine his thoughts on today's politics.
    Probably not too many thoughts about today;s politic seems how he died several years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tci,

You get an atta boy for explaining yourself like a man. I also completely agree with Rob that you'd have gotten a lot different response here if you had been straight shooting from the start. The fellas here sniff out deception PDQ.

20. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The tweezers arrived very quickly (Thanks!) and though I haven't used them yet, they certainly look as if they'll work much better than anything else I have.

Viewed on edge, the points have a very small radius (.005"?), but are absolutely sharp when viewed from the other side. They're stiff in the right axes and have just the right amount of flex in the one that matters. I'm very happy with them.

Good luck with selling more of them!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    The tweezers arrived very quickly (Thanks!)
    Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am glad they got to you reasonably fast, they would only ship them parcel priority instead of regular priority so they're probably a day later than I would have liked.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tweezers showed up today. I’m very impressed; the tips have a very small flat on the point/face, and contact is PERFECT there.

Far better than I expected.

24. Likes Tci_, MichaelP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I'm intrigued.
    Never had good tweezers, or knew they existed... usually just dig with a sharpened 1/16 ejector pin until ive made a mess, or get the sliver.

Would you ship to Canuckistan if I ordered 2?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by macds View Post
    Well, I'm intrigued.
    Never had good tweezers, or knew they existed... usually just dig with a sharpened 1/16 ejector pin until ive made a mess, or get the sliver.

Would you ship to Canuckistan if I ordered 2?
    I must admit I have absolutely no idea where that is. Even Google is stumped other than it says its a derogatory comment about Canada. But then I’m from Idaho and I hardly know where Michigan is so there’s that....I think it’s fair though because most people get Idaho and Iowa or Ohio mixed up.

So the only experience I have is I ordered some stuff FROM Canada and ended up with a bunch of extra customers fee’s when it got here that I was not expecting. You probably have more experience than I do. What are we looking at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Indeed, Canada (You can check my location at the top of my post).
    I've had good experiences using USPS to bring in small items like this, without all the additional charges.

UPS will charge $35 just to "handle the paperwork" for me.

If interested, let me know method of payment.

28. Likes Tci_ liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by macds View Post
    Indeed, Canada (You can check my location at the top of my post).
    I've had good experiences using USPS to bring in small items like this, without all the additional charges.

UPS will charge $35 just to "handle the paperwork" for me.

If interested, let me know method of payment.
    Sent a PM with particulars. I’m kind of dense sometimes and totally missed the location clearly stated up there.