What's new
What's new

Milling Cutters with odd key way

DT38K

Aluminum
Cleaning the shop today, came across a bucket full of milling cutters that have a key way that is round on the upper portion of the key, instead of being square
Has anyone ever seen this before?

Attachments

• 66EDF6CB-6207-4454-9C36-908B31A9C7B7.jpg
    66EDF6CB-6207-4454-9C36-908B31A9C7B7.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 312
Known as a "Dutch Key". From wikipedia:

A Scotch key or Dutch key features a circular keyway hole (instead of rectangular), produced by drilling axially into the assembled hub and shaft, with a metal dowel pin serving as the key. If the hole and key are tapered, the key is referred to as a Dutch pin, which is driven in and optionally finished by cutting or grinding flush with the end of the shaft. If a straight Dutch keyway hole is optionally tapped with a thread, then an ordinary screw serves as the threaded Dutch key.

I have seen the Dutch key used on Marshall brand watch lathe slide rests made circa 1950. These were factory made in quantity, not some one of a kind repair. As the Wikipedia text indicates, they are usually made by drilling between two soft parts after assembly, not precision machined in hardened parts that are presumed to be interchangeable.

Larry

Thanks to all that responded
I didn’t notice that they were tapered, but appeared to be straight
I also didn’t see any threads in the keyway either
It’s a crying shame to scrap these cutters, some are right and left pairs and although I didn’t look at each one, they appeared to be either new or reground
More than likely, these came from the rock island arsenal and could be 100 years old for all I know
Not a real big deal to let these go, a couple hundred pounds out of several tons is pretty good
Thanks again for the information, Randy

Instead of scrapping the cutters make a special key with a rounded top. Another approach would be to use a piece of round stock for a key.

The Hardinge horizontal mills came with overarm supported 7/8" and 1" cutter arbors that had no keyway and, of course, the spacers had no keyway. They work great.

Larry

Back