Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Just the lids then, basically.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's not shown in the photos, and I'm not familiar enough with Monarchs in general to know, but does it have a classic style threading dial?

Doc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
    It's not shown in the photos, and I'm not familiar enough with Monarchs in general to know, but does it have a classic style threading dial?

Doc.
    I am pretty sure they removed it an added a travadial, which is also when the cut the feed stop shaft off.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc, I believe I've got one, I'll measure it up for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff76 View Post
    P.S. Does anyone have any thoughts as to if the taper attachment from this lathe would fit my
    18"CBB? Just curious. Would love to have one on mine.
    I asked about the taper attachment in a PM and was going to look into shipping to Calif, probably not cheap, so if you can use it, it is all yours.
    Not sure what it would take to add it on but a new leadscrew to start with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Green View Post
    Just the lids then, basically.

Yes, lids alone if it is trouble to get the entire piece out, I wasn't sure if you would be removing the castings to access gears or something inside for someone else's needs then they could be pushed out from the back, one of mine the pressed in tube is bad the other just the lid broke off. (long before I got it)

edit to add:
    I just tried to gently grab the broken one with curved jaw vice grips and it just exploded int 4 or 5 pieces with what I would consider light pressure, so they are delicate, maybe the easiest way to get the lids off it to just squeeze the base with vice grips, it will either break or pull out. The thought crossed my mind to find something that was a snug fit inside the thing so it had nowhere to go when squeezed....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ClappedOutBport View Post
    Doc, I believe I've got one, I'll measure it up for you.
    -Thanks CB. It'll need to be a fairly big one to fit the Springfield. I bought one from another PM'er not long ago, but the tooth count is wrong- I'd have to cut a new gear and restamp the face to use it.

Which I'll do if I have to, neither is that complex an operation, but if i can find one that's a little more plug-and-play, that might be preferable.

Doc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

-Thanks CB. It'll need to be a fairly big one to fit the Springfield. I bought one from another PM'er not long ago, but the tooth count is wrong- I'd have to cut a new gear and restamp the face to use it.

Which I'll do if I have to, neither is that complex an operation, but if i can find one that's a little more plug-and-play, that might be preferable.

Doc.
    It may be too big. We have a bunch of steady rests in matching paint we also need to find owners for, and most are for larger swing machines than the Sidney. It's probably for a 4 tpi leadscrew though, so you could adapt it most likely. I'll grab some pics/measurement next time I'm up there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I could use a good steady for an 18" actual-swing machine, if you have one...

Doc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I could use a good steady for an 18" actual-swing machine, if you have one...

Doc.
    Most likely. Brass fingers. And a near 100% chance of being the wrong base. I'll post a listing in the for sale section here sometime. There's a chance that the owners of the machines are on here. The trade school auctioned off all the lathes, then all the accessories months later. Split up everything on different pallets so it was impossible to get what you needed back. Put the pallets on two different auction sites, seemly at random. We missed a 2x1.5x1.5 foot box brimmed with taper shank drills because they listed it on the other site. It would be neat if we could reconnect the steadies with their original owners.

Shipping to Alaska would be brutal as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    I asked about the taper attachment in a PM and was going to look into shipping to Calif, probably not cheap, so if you can use it, it is all yours.
    Not sure what it would take to add it on but a new leadscrew to start with?
    Not trying to jump ahead of anyone- Ill wait in line plus I'm not even certain it will fit my machine. I have attached a couple pics of my machine where it would have to mount. Im not really sure how feasible this would be or if it would even work. 1.jpg2.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc.
    The thread dial is part of apron. Far right, center of apron:

116.jpg

From another machine:

117.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4.jpg3.jpg6.jpg5.jpg

Pics of the two missing covers and the lever that I inquired about.7.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

3 more items that I'd be interested in. The lever arm on back side and the support casting behind it that the shaft goes through. These are both broken but still functioning on mine. And the fill cap for the lid has a piece broken out of it.

Jeff

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not trying to jump ahead of anyone- Ill wait in line plus I'm not even certain it will fit my machine. I have attached a couple pics of my machine where it would have to mount. Im not really sure how feasible this would be or if it would even work. 1.jpg2.jpg
    I didn't know Monarch had a full length cross-slide. What model was that? Edit: CBB I see. I'll have to look up the distinguishing features. I'm not too familiar with Monarch's models. I know they made one with no leadscrew.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I could use the Flame Hardened badge on bed near qcgb, one vee and one flat wiper holders. I'll send a pm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was posting also to let Mr.Green(OP) know I am not "claiming" it. I was considering putting it on a different lathe, similar to what you want to do, so the thought process of what would be involved. I have a 16cw with a taper attachment so do not "need" another but if I was to add one to the other (non monarch) lathe a Monarch taper attachment is a nice piece of kit.
    I think the shipping and the effort to modify the taper and/or lathe to make it work correctly is not worth it (or barely worth it) About the only thing I use the taper attach for is pipe threads, 2 1/2" and bigger so slow speed of the cy is just fine, plus since it has threading stops on the cross feed it is a pleasure to single point those threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am headed to my shop after lunch today and will start going over this and pulling some parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can you measure to see if the wiper holder on the front of the cross slide is 8" wide? If so I can use it and its wiper also.
    Here is a pic of that and also the results of my destruction of the oil cup. If it was glass it wouldn't have broken any quicker or easier.
    p1080060.jpgp1080062.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some messages an emails sent.