What's new
What's new

Mystery end mill

chiniak1955

Plastic
I am trying to identify the short taper on this end mill, with the hope of acquiring a holder I can use in a R8 machine. I have several and know where a lot more are.

Data: 3” OA, shank is 1.5”, ground taper is 1.125" from top of flute to bottom of tang, big end at top of flute is 0.700”, small end below tang is 0.650”
Marked: 09-1014,C2 707,1882,2600,01001 The makers mark is an outlined “M”.

Any insights?

Attachments

• mystery-end-mill.jpg
    mystery-end-mill.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 219
I know this is kind of hammer/chisel work but if all else fails I would be trying to chuck that mill up and either turning the shank or if that failed using the tool post grinder to straighten the shank.

Looks like a morse taper which is approx. 5/8" per foot. You may want to use your dimensions to calculate it.

BTW, turning the shank makes a lot of sense.

Mystery solved

I showed it to an elderly machinist I know and he took one look at it and knew what it was.

It is a brazed carbide insert end mill. There is no pilot hole in the working end, just the center drill holes on each end.

The stub taper on this end mill is indeed a MT2. But just the first 1.5" of the big end. The solution to using them in an standard MT2-R8 holder is to re-cut the release wedge slot in the appropriate place. Modifying a single holder is a lot easier than grinding all the shanks straight.

Thanks for the advice though.

It sure doesn't look like any milling cutter I have seen. Any side pressure at all would pop it right out of the socket.

Maybe it has no pilot hole but it still looks like a stub shank c'bore & I'll bet it would fit a holder for one also.

Did the ones made for wood always have a pilot?

Anyway, check out this link to a photo of a stub shank C'bore.
http://www.hannibalcarbide.com/products.php?type=576F

Walter A.

I think your elderly friend is incorrect, and the previous posters are correct. It is a counterbore. If you mike the od, you will find the flutes have been od (or circle) ground. Compare this to an endmill where the od is ground with relief. Now put a straightedge across the bottom and compare that to an endmill. Your cutter is flat on the bottom, where the end mill is ground with relief (clearance) in the middle.

The morse taper works great when any loads applied are axial into the taper.

Back