What's new
What's new

Need Mitutoyo #505-644 8" Dial Caliper Crystal and bezel

mattrixx

Plastic
I have a perfectly good and functioning 8" Mitutoyo Dial Caliper with a cracked crystal. I would like to replace it with a new crystal/bezel assembly!

I have searched internet and see that "Long Island Indicator" is closed till March 2018, and even then may NOT stock required #505-644 Dial Caliper Crystal and Bezel assembly?

Are there any thoughts here on this forum on another supplier or means to acquire a new Crystal and/or Bezel assembly?

Thanks for any insight or advise

I got a replacement crystal and bezel at Western Tool Supply for my 12" Mit. Check with them. Better going into it with the part number. What is the outside diameter of the bezel?

I got a replacement crystal and bezel at Western Tool Supply for my 12" Mit. Check with them. Better going into it with the part number. What is the outside diameter of the bezel?

Hi kenscabs.

The outside diameter of the bezel on my 8" Miyutoyo #505-644 Dial Caliper is: 1.427inches

I did a search at Western Tool & Supply for Mitutoyo 8" Dial Caliper Crystal and Bezel, afterwards just Mitutoyo Dial Caliper Crystal, and it came up with this: "Sorry, we couldn't find anything that matched your search term. Please try again."
Any further ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks mattrixx

I plugged in a Mit part number for my 12" Mit. (901329) into Western supply part search and I get a result. Your Mit 505-644 may be part number 905162 which also comes up if it's 505-644-50, 505-644 shows part No. 900919 which does not come up. 905162 is the same as my 6" Mit. and the inside edge of the bezel measures 36mm the reason I'm bring that up is the LongIsland list shows the inside bezel of my 6" as 38mm, don't know where exactly they're measuring since there's a couple of steps in there.

kenscabs,

First off, my Dial Caliper is definitely model #505-644. It is NOT model #505-644-50. (I have NO idea what the difference may be?)
Does this then mean the part I have and am trying to replace is part No.900919? The one that doesn't show up at Western supply?
Am I just S.O.L?

When I measure the bottom of the bezel (the largest dia. that slips over the numbered dial face, and on to the caliper's round mount protrusion with its locking clamp),
I get approx 34mm! (I am measuring this largest inside bezel diameter with a metric digital caliper)

Thanks again,
mattrixx

I've gotten replacement crystals from mitutoyo USA, they emailed me a parts list, then took my order over the phone with a credit card. I got crystals only, and pressed them into the bezels by hand. About $20 each 10 years ago.

M.R. Tool Repair has a good reputation for repairing/calibrating calipers and indicators. Don't know if he sells the parts he uses to fix them however.
mrtool2010 at hotmail dot com.

try calling Earl at Accurate Instrument Repair at 949 454 2874. They do all our instrument repairs. Don't know if he just sells parts, but I would be surprised if he didn't.

mattrixx, my 6" part no. 905162 measures 36mm on the inside. The 505-644 is an older model and you may have problem getting it.

Bezel.

Give me a couple of days and I'll see if I have something. I bought a huge lot (Thousands) of older Mitutoyo, Starrett and Brown & Sharpe repair parts from a closed repair shop. There are lots of bezels and crystals. Can you post a photo of the parts?
Charles

kenscabs,

I called up Western Tool and they do NOT have it (#900919 Bezel and Crystal assembly) in stock. The guy said he would have to call the "manufacturer" to see if it's available. As I said in my original post here, "Long Island Indicators" lists this very item (#900919), but they state they will NOT be open for business till sometime in March!

I have called a few other companies and they too do NOT have this crystal/bezel assembly part No. 900919 in stock. They all probably get their parts from Mitutoyo, which when I look, can NOT find my older 505-644 dial caliper listed!

Does NOT look good for me in my search for a simple replacement crystal, but I will wait till March and "Long Island Indicator" unless I can find a different supplier?

I did find one supplier that sells a "FLAT" round crystal they label as 1 7/16" in diameter. I wonder if that outside dia. would push into the back of my current bezel's largest I.D. of 1.427"? (about a .010 interference difference)
Without a dedicated "crystal press", it would be difficult for me to further push it past the smaller steps you referred to in an earlier post, where the crystal would "dome" out of the top of the bezel.

Thanks for any further ideas or advice from all.

Edit: The crystal has to be set into the bezel from the top of the bezel, NOT as I postulated above, pushed in from the larger I.D. of the bottom of the bezel.
This larger bottom bezel I.D. is meant to fit over and on to the mount diameter of the caliper itself, where the bezel I.D. has an inside smaller shoulder for positioning onto the caliper.
I forgot this crystal on to bezel orientation when I removed my cracked and now destroyed original crystal.

Hi Charles,
Thanks for the offer to find a crystal and bezel to fit my (8") Mitutoyo 505-644 Dial Caliper.
I'm afraid your search will have to be confined to an *exact* bezel/crystal assembly match.

I can`t send you a picture of the crystal cause that part is destroyed and gone.
I do have the bezel and if you look at my earlier posts you will find it's dimensions.

To be clear, the caliper dial revolves .100" per revolution and is in increments of .001"
It also has some metric divisions on the upper portion of the rule/blade..... for reference only.

The "top" of the bezel facing the user, has an angular large to smaller I.D. meant for the crystal fit. The other end "bottom", has a straight ID along with a slightly smaller I.D. "shoulder" for stop positioning onto the caliper's mounting. Beyond this shoulder is the top angular I.D. already mentioned.
This is all very hard to see and needs sufficient light and magnification to make clear. I don't know if I could capture this on a photo?

Thanks,
mattrixx

Here are two .jpg photo attachments of Bezel looking from bottom towards top where crystal would be.

Attachments

• View looking from bottom of Bezel.jpg
    View looking from bottom of Bezel.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 277
  • Bottom view of Bezel.jpg
    Bottom view of Bezel.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 216
Crystal

Hi Charles,
Thanks for the offer to find a crystal and bezel to fit my (8") Mitutoyo 505-644 Dial Caliper.
I'm afraid your search will have to be confined to an *exact* bezel/crystal assembly match.

I can`t send you a picture of the crystal cause that part is destroyed and gone.
I do have the bezel and if you look at my earlier posts you will find it's dimensions.

To be clear, the caliper dial revolves .100" per revolution and is in increments of .001"
It also has some metric divisions on the upper portion of the rule/blade..... for reference only.

The "top" of the bezel facing the user, has an angular large to smaller I.D. meant for the crystal fit. The other end "bottom", has a straight ID along with a slightly smaller I.D. "shoulder" for stop positioning onto the caliper's mounting. Beyond this shoulder is the top angular I.D. already mentioned.
This is all very hard to see and needs sufficient light and magnification to make clear. I don't know if I could capture this on a photo?

Thanks,
mattrixx

I went to my caliper cabinet and I have a 505-644 8 inch Mitutoyo caliper just like yours! I will see if I have the parts in my stash.
Charles

Crystal & bezel

I found some brand new sets and they fit mine perfectly so it should work on yours. It is a newer style black plastic with the crystal already inserted. I replaced mine as well and it looks like new. Send me an address and I'll send you one no charge.
Thanks,
Charles

cmahlinger at g mail dot com

address

I found some brand new sets and they fit mine perfectly so it should work on yours. It is a newer style black plastic with the crystal already inserted. I replaced mine as well and it looks like new. Send me an address and I'll send you one no charge.
Thanks,
Charles

cmahlinger at g mail dot com

Fixitup
Charles, I just sent you an E-Mail with info!
Thanks,
Matt (mattrixx):)

Back