What's new
What's new

New cordless tools on EBay ... that are un-boxed with no paperwork ????

TFPace

Stainless
I'm curious about the DeWalt cordless tools that are being sold on EBay that are new but have no boxes, etc. Are these the counterfeits that I am hearing about? The photos are impressive if they are bootleg.

Has anyone bought these tools? These savings are pretty great. I am using three on the 60V angle grinders with great results.

Thanks,

Tom

This has been going on for a while, people buying battery tool "packages", then breaking them up and selling individual items. Must be some reasonable profit in this, but the buyer may have issues if warranty work is needed.

counterfeit batteries-yes . specific dewalt tools would be hard to fake.

probably unwarranted refurbs , or partial sets- as been mentioned.

much easier to turn a chinese digital caliper into an MTI DIGIMATIC knockoff.

I've bought Makita cordless tools on Ebay and been happy. Far as I can tell, dealers get special deals on large kits (e.g. a half dozen tools and batteries) and then split them up. End result is a single tool cheaper than you could buy it, except at maybe a local Makita (or DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc.) event. Just buy from a seller with good feedback -- and check out the tool or battery ASAP so it can be returned if need be.

This has been going on for a while, people buying battery tool "packages", then breaking them up and selling individual items. Must be some reasonable profit in this, but the buyer may have issues if warranty work is needed.

No this is making sense now.

They may be grey market. Very often, the same tool is sold at different price points in different places around the world. People can make money by purchasing a large quantity in the lowest cost area (perhaps South America) and then reselling them in the highest cost area (USA or Europe.)

So if they did come with boxes, they're be in Spanish or Czech or whatever, which would give the game away.

This isn't exactly illegal, but it is usually against manufacturer policies, so warranty support and such are questionable. Hence grey market rather than black market.

They may be grey market. Very often, the same tool is sold at different price points in different places around the world. People can make money by purchasing a large quantity in the lowest cost area (perhaps South America) and then reselling them in the highest cost area (USA or Europe.)

So if they did come with boxes, they're be in Spanish or Czech or whatever, which would give the game away.

This isn't exactly illegal, but it is usually against manufacturer policies, so warranty support and such are questionable. Hence grey market rather than black market.

Heck,

I rolled the dice and bought the DeWalt 60V recip saw. My trusty '96 model 18V finally called it quits.

Thanks guys for your valued help.

Tom

I never did it but I think if you buy the set with batteries, drill, driver, and charger then sell the pieces individually you can make some money and that is what I think is happening. Used to be done with radio control radios too (servos, receivers, batteries, transmitter, etc). I myself had a makita drill go bad and bought a new drill on ebay this way. It's been great and I was very grateful for it. Otherwise i'd probably have had to spend quite a bit more to buy one.

Back