What's new
What's new

Starrett Number 221 Hi-Precision Micrometer

SIP6A

Titanium
Like so many before me I have given up trying to post pictures on this site.

What I have for sale is a nice 0 - 1" Starrett #221 High precision micrometer. This is the one with the double thimbles to control anvil pressure and is direct reading to .0001

Micrometer is in very good condition with only the initials KEW lightly scratched on the back side of the frame. (I would show you this, well you know)

Comes in the red plastic box with a piece of literature for the #221

$250.00 PP anywhere in the US

This micrometer lists for $658.00 on the Starrett website. T221XL Hi-Precision Micrometer

I'm not so much into Starret but I'd be willing to pay twice as much for Etalon conventionals over a Mittymoto digital.

Us fruitcakes do exist :D

Person need not BE any SORT of a "fruitcake" to prefer a brand-new "Classic Master" Swiss-made Tesa-Brown & Sharpe with integral heat-shield, carbide faces, "etc"" over anything Starrett ever put their name on, regardless.

About $80, discounted. Around a hundred bucks at Grainger's "Zoro" online.

Can't read an ignorant VERNIER?

Go play with yer ear buds and "game boy", then. Don't forget BATTERIES!

Probably gonna be a tough sell with clean secondhand Mitutoyo .00005" digitals generally going for around $100. Just FYI.

These 221’s are a whole different ball game. Mechanical excellence. It’s one of those tools that’s made so well it’s a joy to use. Not comparable to a Mitutoyo digital at all, IMO.

Good luck with the sale.

These 221’s are a whole different ball game. Mechanical excellence. It’s one of those tools that’s made so well it’s a joy to use. Not comparable to a Mitutoyo digital at all, IMO.

Good luck with the sale.

Sod "digital". "Digital" means "finger". If it needs batteries it b'long some lonely lady's powered artificial-finger . or wotever .. toy collection..

:)

But .... Starrett website says these "mechanical excellence" puppies are also discontinued. The replacements are as good? Or not?

"Goodness" discontinued is a magnet to me. Hamilton and Dorsey DI's. Biddle mechanical tachos..

but ..Lowest-Common-Denominator Starrett?

In MY box?

Only on suffrence .. with a safe-conduct letter from tool-whore High Command!

:D

Can someone explain how the outer thimble works?

The inner thimble is graduated in .001 divisions, the outer thimble is graduated in .0001 divisions. You use the outer thimble to move the spindle up to the work, at this point both the inner and outer thimbles are turning together. The outer thimbles graduations start at 0 then 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, for a total of 4 times. You bring the thimbles up until the anvils contact the work. At this point the inner thimble stops turning and the outer one continues to turn. 1/4 turn of the outer thimble moves the spindle .001 of an inch. After making contact you turn the outer thimble 10 divisions this will put a pressure of a know force on the spindle, you then back up the outer thimble up until the .001 line on the inner thimble lines up with a whole number line on the sleeve. You direct read the .0001 of of the outer thimble.

I'm not so much into Starret but I'd be willing to pay twice as much for Etalon conventionals over a Mittymoto digital.

Us fruitcakes do exist :D

I am not arguing that point, and I'm on your side on that one, but in my experience in general, the common garden variety machinist isn't like you or me. Having used the Mitutoyo digitals, they are very nice. That said, I've already got my set of Tesa-made Brown & Sharpes, my plain Starrett 436 set, a set of very nice last available Lufkins, and several individual mics of similar caliber, or I might be interested in this one with a little negotiation on that price. It is a neat mic. But at this point I try not to buy anything unless it's at a really great price point and I just can't stop myself.

I might be interested in this one with a little negotiation on that price. It is a neat mic.

Yah but... all but a few of a krew of "on average" very experienced hands had to look it up ... ask .. or await Todd's explanation of it.

If it were Earth-shaking USEFUL?

More of us would already OWN at least one size of it. We do not.

And HE who HAS one .. is not keeping it?

My view is the "need".. for more repeatable, less "user influenced", "doesn't get tired, sick, hung-over, drugged, careless, or clumsy".. metrology, as-in a production QC / Inspection environment.. simply BYPASSED this all-manual semi-monkey-motion gadget.. and moved-on to automated and largely "contactless" metrology that will not .. ever .. distort even a foil-thin hollow cylinder.. or soft materials. As "known force" can do.

Whereas....we with "conventional" tenths-mics know we have to adjust how we handle ours, one type of item to be measured to the next.

Being able to measure a thinwall cylinder - or a solid piston.. IS part of "what they pay us for", after all. Cannot find the SPACE, let alone funding, to have a separate item of metrolgy for EVERY possible tasking.

We adapt.. whether the "general purpose" instrument does... or not.

So - clever or never - it was/is a "niche" need item?

Back