What's new
What's new

NOS die filer files for sale- metric.

J_R_Thiele

Stainless
I got an email this AM about NOS files being on sale. Turns out most of them are machine files. I do not have a die filer, but have heard that files are not easy to find these days, so I wanted to pass on the information.

Does being metric limit them to certain machines?

The company is Taylor Toolworks. I have no affiliation with them.

Per their website:
"These files are New Old Stock and were found in the back of the Narex factory and offered to us at a fraction of their cost. We are passing these deep discounts onto our customers. They were made by Ajax, the largest file manufacturer in the Czech Republic. Unless otherwise noted, they are double cut and with course cut teeth."

Search Results — Taylor Toolworks

The price of $2.99 each is very good and yes, machine files are very scarce these days. The die files I have include 1/8" and 1/4" round shank Swiss pattern types that fit particular small machines and I built my own machine to use them. But I have a larger "Duplex" die filer that can use 8" and possibly shorter and longer parallel machine files and the file clamp will not care if the shank is inch or metric. The USA machine files have many different size and shape shanks, so metric shanks would not matter. I bought out all the Nicholson and other machine files from a mill supply business that was moving back around 1984 and really don't need any more files. As I recall, I have 8" and 5" parallel machine files for the Duplex, pretty close to the 125 and 200 mm sizes included in Taylor's deal.

Larry

Nice! Thank you.

I ordered some for use with my Milwaukee die filer. I only have one actual machine file and it works better than the modified hand files, so I assume these will make the machine more useful.

Nice! Thank you.

I ordered some for use with my Milwaukee die filer. I only have one actual machine file and it works better than the modified hand files, so I assume these will make the machine more useful.

What sizes (lengths and dia/cross sections) did you choose for your filer?

I just got a couple of each. Many were sold out, I really would have liked some half round files for the sort of decorative cut outs I end up doing.

Back