new table screw $100.00
Picture006.jpg

all prices plus shipping $450.00 for the lot

John Fahnestock
J&L Scraping Service
508 892-4856
www.j-lscraping.com

I'm interested in the table screw.

Is this for the longitudinal (X-axis) feed, to replace the traverse lever?

If so, do you have the nut and handwheel to go with it?

Thanks very much.

- Leigh

Leigh, you can make a nut for <30 bucks, no threading ot tapping needed. I can shoot you the site where I got materials. Then get this new screw, and if you want, buy an original nut later. I just got a decent screw (!) recently, buy would have snapped this up otherwise.

bb

Hi bb,

I already have everything I need to make a 3/4" version of this, but I was told that the original was 7/8" diameter, which would eliminate the need for a shim above the rod.

The real problem is the handwheel. The one I have is graduated for 0.100" per revolution, which requires a 10-pitch screw.

I believe the original was 0.200" per revolution with a 5-pitch screw. While I could use the 5-pitch screw with my existing handwheel, it wouldn't be cool. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion.

- Leigh

The collar? I bought a barrel nut, turned it to the correct od, split it, cut it to length and it works sweet. The collars are fairly easy to find, and use whatever hand wheel/crank you can find.

By the time you find a nut, you'll probably not find the screw, and certainly not nos fwiw.

bb

The real problem is the handwheel. The one I have is graduated for 0.100" per revolution, which requires a 10-pitch screw.

I believe the original was 0.200" per revolution with a 5-pitch screw. While I could use the 5-pitch screw with my existing handwheel, it wouldn't be cool.

-I don't know which machine you have, Leigh, but mine has both. The Y-axis is a 10 TPI screw, and the X axis is a 5 TPI, with each dial graduated accordingly. Near as I can tell, that's factory-stock; my screws look virtually identical to John's OEM pieces above, with the exception that my handwheels use a short round shaft, a small woodruff key, and a center bolt, instead of the square drive shown on his.

If you're still working on your machine, you might check to see if you have the dials on the right axes. I had a minor brainfart and got mine backwards 'til I threw a dial on there to double-check. :D

Here's the method I used to fab up a new X-axis halfnut. It's kind of involved, but I wanted a strong and long-lasting part.

Doc.

I'm pretty sure Nichols all have both 5 and 10 tpi if equiped with the table screw... so yes that collar is specific to the table screw.

Nice work Doc...prettier than mine!

For anyone interested my method is somewhere in the archives.. a bit simpler for the machinist newbs out there (no threading or welding) and you get two nuts out of it.

bb

-I don't know which machine you have, Leigh, but mine has both. The Y-axis is a 10 TPI screw, and the X axis is a 5 TPI, with each dial graduated accordingly. Near as I can tell, that's factory-stock...
Hi Doc,

I believe that's correct.

My handwheel is not from a Nichols; it's from a surface grinder. But it's a nice 6" wheel with graduations around the circumference, so it has very precise resolution.

I have a precision acme screw and nut, purchased for the project. I just thought if a full accessory package was available it would save me some effort.

Thanks for the thoughts.

- Leigh

Hello John,
I wanted to see if anyone ended up buying these parts?
I know its been 10 years, but I just picked one of these up and have not found any parts available.

Also, do you have the prints for those gibs you could take a picture of for me? My knee gib has a crack in the center, looks like people like to wrench that down to hold the knee in place.

Thanks
Jared.

Hello John,
I wanted to see if anyone ended up buying these parts?
I know its been 10 years, but I just picked one of these up and have not found any parts available.

Also, do you have the prints for those gibs you could take a picture of for me? My knee gib has a crack in the center, looks like people like to wrench that down to hold the knee in place.

Thanks
Jared.
I don't even remember selling those parts.... But I have not seen them around my shop....and I checked my stock room...
John

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Back