What's new
What's new

Old vice grips

Anybody have any extra Vice Grips they would sell? Looking for any style, Used is fine, Not rusted solid or covered with weld is a +. The ones I am looking for have the Petersen Mfg.Co name stamped on the handle opposite the Vice Grip logo. No post buy out chinese please.

Hit the flea markets.. I *Used* to buy any pair I could find, and you don't find them often..
Bought one pair that looked old and was straight jawed (I didn't have a straight jaw set yet)..

Get it home and realize its a giant POS.. Sure enough.. One of the newer Vise Grip brand vise grips
made in China.

Now I check..

If you just need a pair of 'vise grips' that isn't complete crap, the Kobalt ones aren't bad, and they
used to be half the price of the Chinese Vise Grip brand vise grips.

Anybody have any extra Vice Grips they would sell? Looking for any style, Used is fine, Not rusted solid or covered with weld is a +. The ones I am looking for have the Petersen Mfg.Co name stamped on the handle opposite the Vice Grip logo. No post buy out chinese please.

I didn't know they were different. All mine have that (Petersen Mfg.Co)... not for sale, just commenting.

I am glad I bought most of my hand tools some 20 years ago or so. Most of my hand tools are Craftsman, from a time period when they were still good/decent.

Now that's just silly...........askin if anyone wants to sell them? :willy_nilly:You might as well as for their first born too...................:D You can have mine when you pry them from my cold dead hands....................:smoking:

...Vise Grips wear out, regardless of where they were made. So you can't just buy any that you come across.

So you can't just buy any that you come across.

Yes you can, and yes I do.. The only ones I've skipped are the ones that have been
hacked, or covered in weld splatter.. I don't need to buy ones with weld splatter
on them, I can do that just fine all by myself.

Even worn out and trashed, the old ones are better than the new ones.. Besides,
at the flea market, they usually came from an estate sale or something and got
mild use from a desk jockey for 30 years.

Check out estate sales in your local area, I find a lot of tools I can get real cheap that were not made in China.

I've been getting rid of most of my hand tools but I'll be keeping the " Vise Grips ". I've still two pairs in really good condition, One 10" and one 6", made in DeWitt, Nebraska if I recall correctly.

Regards Tyrone.

Check your local pawn shops, I've bought quite a few of them over the years for cheap. Like you, I'm a sucker for US made Vise Grips, and probably have at least 30+ around the shops.

Malco has bought the original Vise Grip factory and is resuming production of a grip just like the original vise grip.

Malco Products, SBC, Officially Begins Production of New Tool at Former VISE-GRIP Factory in DeWitt, Nebraska | Malco Products

Over here in the UK I've always bought Mole Grips.

Sometimes old tools turn up on the stands at the steam rallies here, which have just started again for the 2019 season.

Will be going this weekend to a local steam rally and hopefully, something useful will turn up on the stands, just a matter of getting there early to see what's about.

Over here in the UK I've always bought Mole Grips.

Sometimes old tools turn up on the stands at the steam rallies here, which have just started again for the 2019 season.

Will be going this weekend to a local steam rally and hopefully, something useful will turn up on the stands, just a matter of getting there early to see what's about.

" Mole-grips " are a pretty poor imitation of " Vise-Grips ". The jaws are riveted on and in my experience usually work lose eventually. Having said that if I recall correctly the opening or unlocking lever works in the different direction on " Mole-grips " than " Vise-grips " and consequently you can't nip your flesh on them.

Regards Tyrone.

Somewhere around 15 years ago MSC would have special prices on packs of vice grips, Channel Locks and such. Just checked my shelf and I have an unopened pack of Channel Locks but I had only bought one of the Vice Grips (lots of unopened Bondus sets). I do not use the vice grips that much so I only bought one set. If I had found another I would have put it up for auction here. :-)

Added thought:
If the Malco roll out was successful be sure to buy some, it would be a shame if no one buys them because they cost more than Chinese and they go under.

I have a ton
Could part with some but by the time ya ship them from Canada to Ohio.... plus our stupid government probably has a tariff or export tax on them anyway, just buy new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

" Mole-grips " are a pretty poor imitation of " Vise-Grips ". The jaws are riveted on and in my experience usually work lose eventually. Having said that if I recall correctly the opening or unlocking lever works in the different direction on " Mole-grips " than " Vise-grips " and consequently you can't nip your flesh on them.

Regards Tyrone.

In the US, Sears sold their own brand of USA-made vise grip copy. The Craftsman version has that reverse operating release lever, which I prefer. Mind you, I only have two of them and they are at least 15 years old and Sears closed their local store, so no more free exchanges, even if the new tools were OK.

And, like many here, I do have a stash of real Vise-Grips, probably more than I need. The peg board has the ones I use most and the welding area has the clamps, but there is drawer full of spares. And somewhere long ago I got the nice 10 pocket pouch.

Larry

DSC01946.jpg DSC01947.jpg DSC01948.jpg

In the US, Sears sold their own brand of USA-made vise grip copy. The Craftsman version has that reverse operating release lever, which I prefer. Mind you, I only have two of them and they are at least 15 years old and Sears closed their local store, so no more free exchanges, even if the new tools were OK.

And, like many here, I do have a stash of real Vise-Grips, probably more than I need. The peg board has the ones I use most and the welding area has the clamps, but there is drawer full of spares. And somewhere long ago I got the nice 10 pocket pouch.

Larry

View attachment 258269 View attachment 258270 View attachment 258271

No wonder there are no visegrips available. L Vanice has them all hoarded up.......:cheers:

Larry

View attachment 258269 View attachment 258270 View attachment 258271

You're not supposed to leave them alone in the dark. See what happens?

Back