What's new
What's new

W T B thread Dial

steelsponge

Aluminum
Greetings to all. I am looking for a thread dial for an early Lodge and Shipley gear head lathe. Mid to early teens. I'll probably be wrong but I imagine that back then there was probably only one size that they made. I'll be lucky to find one butr you never know. Thank you for reading. You can call or text me at 612 964 7744. My e-mail is [email protected] , Ask for Clyde

Funny about one size. You should see the beast on my 1917 24"

Even more funny is no mention of what size lathe

Thumbnails show 14 and 48" lathes - and how the thread dials install. The mounting post screws into bottom of carriage saddle with LH thread

Attachments

• L&Spg24.jpg
    L&Spg24.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 33
  • L&Spg58.jpg
    L&Spg58.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Thread Dial.jpg
    Thread Dial.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 33
Funny about one size. You should see the beast on my 1917 24"

Even more funny is no mention of what size lathe

Thumbnails show 14 and 48" lathes - and how the thread dials install. The mounting post screws into bottom of carriage saddle with LH thread

John, Tommy, I realize my comment was quite ignorant, I did say I may be wrong. And i definitely was. Sorry about that statement. It is an 18" by 96". I'm picking it up in about a week and a half. I would say it is comparable to Denny Graham's as far as the thread dial size. My best guess so far. Because of its age and how few compared to newer models that are available i thought I'd start looking right away. I'm pretty anxious to acquire and save this machine from a worse fate. Tommy as soon as i get the lathe home i will get the size of the lead screw pitch. Thank you both for your comments. (I deserved that John), Clyde[/I]

And I apologize for coming down a bit on the hard side:D

If an actual 18 (will have four bolt tail stock - 16 would have but two bolt)

The screw is like the thumbnail - 4 TPI

You could also look under saddle that end and see how big the LH tapped hole is for the mounting post

ON EDIT: Add photos of the one off my 24" - note 16 teeth for this 2 TPI screw

Attachments

• L&Spg32.jpg
    L&Spg32.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DCP_1608.jpg
    DCP_1608.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DCP_1609.jpg
    DCP_1609.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DCP_1610.jpg
    DCP_1610.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 18
And I apologize for coming down a bit on the hard side:D

If an actual 18 (will have four bolt tail stock - 16 would have but two bolt)

The screw is like the thumbnail - 4 TPI

You could also look under saddle that end and see how big the LH tapped hole is for the mounting post

ON EDIT: Add photos of the one off my 24" - note 16 teeth for this 2 TPI screw

John, It is a 16 inch only 2 bolt on head stock. This lathe is between 12 and 13 ft long, Any idea on how much it might weigh? 3,000 plus 3500 maybe 4000??? Actually reading your thumnail specs probably closer to 4500 lbs. 3 sets of feet, 12ft. 4" on the outside 2 sets of feet 71 1/2 " from head stock to center set of feet and 67 1/2 " from center set of feet to the tailstock. Thanks for the info on the actual size of the machine.
No problem by the way, I hauled heavy equipment and machinery for 30 years, that if nothing else tempered me quite well. Thanks for getting back to me.
If push gets to shove I know one can be made but I thought i'd try and find one. Now that you pointed out the actual size I'm sure it is the same size as Denny's Thanks, Clyde

Scan from 1916 - thanks to Mike C.

16 was 2650 with 250 per additional 2 feet of bed

"base" bed was 6 ft overall, so a 12 footer would weigh 750 more that 2650

They probably forgot to add the third leg:)

Note 400 top end. Kinda hard to get there with modern 1750 RPM motors. These things commonly had 865 motors

Attachments

• L&Spg28.jpg
    L&Spg28.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 17

Back