What's new
What's new

OT-FS One Serious Fire Extinguisher

jerholz

Cast Iron
Amerex 630 for Class A and B fires. Shoots 33 gallons of premix foam through a 1 inch hose for 60 seconds. Not for electrical fires. More info here:

Foam Wheeled Extinguisher | Amerex Fire

This one was last serviced in 2001. Price is $2300 as-is or $3300 with fresh certification. I've always thought these were cool looking (besides being handy around a fire) and kind of wanted one for the hangar. I got a deal on two, so one is for sale. Now if I just had a P-51 to put it next to...

Located near Mckinney, Tx, just north of Dallas.

20190219_143916.jpg

20190219_143927.jpg

20190219_143852.jpg

Wonder if the foam has Fluorine in it, aka PFAS?
I think you can service it with any liquid extinguishing agent. If you are interested, I can check with the company I'm going to get to do the re-cert.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Here's the info from Amerex's web site...

33 GALLON DIRECT PRESSURE PRE-MIX AFFF ATC FOAM

The Model 630 contains a premixed alcohol resistant AFFF ATC foam which is highly effective on Class B fuel fires and a penetrating and wetting agent on fires involving Class A materials. Excellent when used as a vapor suppressant on fuel spills to prevent ignition. Quality hardware throughout including the unique agent cylinder fabricated entirely of stainless steel – no interior coatings are necessary. Model 630 meets NFPA 418 requirements for H-1 category helicopter pad protection.

Here's the info from Amerex's web site...

33 GALLON DIRECT PRESSURE PRE-MIX AFFF ATC FOAM

The Model 630 contains a premixed alcohol resistant AFFF ATC foam which is highly effective on Class B fuel fires and a penetrating and wetting agent on fires involving Class A materials. Excellent when used as a vapor suppressant on fuel spills to prevent ignition. Quality hardware throughout including the unique agent cylinder fabricated entirely of stainless steel – no interior coatings are necessary. Model 630 meets NFPA 418 requirements for H-1 category helicopter pad protection.

Used A triple F on a trash fire tonight, works well. I set the truck to 3% and let it roll. Use it on every car fire too.

I do not have a use for it, but am curious what you DO have in the hangar, even if it's not a P-51 :)

I do not have a use for it, but am curious what you DO have in the hangar, even if it's not a P-51 :)
I've got an S-1 Pitts and a 1946 J-3 which is currently in kit form. The two fire extinguishers together out-weigh either airplane.

dd0f3ff85884d953fe915231a22faf42.jpg

Way cool! Pitts are neat planes, and so are Cubs.
The reason I asked is because I am a checkride away from PPL, almost 3 years into, and 50 years behind, my dream to fly. LOL.

I’d love to have a Cub, I got my PPL 18 years ago, single engine airplanes and helicopters. I was close to finishing up my CFL , but things came to an all-stop when my son was born. I have done nothing since , too expensive:)
Im envious of that hanger space, I could fill it up quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

$1000 to re-certify a fire extinguisher? :eek:
Quote was $800 + whatever they find that needs replacing. They have to hydrostatic test the agent tank and the nitrogen propellant tank. The agent has to be replaced, and I gather that's not cheap. It sounded pretty reasonable to me.

Quote was $800 + whatever they find that needs replacing. They have to hydrostatic test the agent tank and the nitrogen propellant tank. The agent has to be replaced, and I gather that's not cheap. It sounded pretty reasonable to me.

I didn't intend to sound critical. Just a little shocked at the cost. I think about the annuals for all the extinguishers in my shop- $50 and they swap them out if they need a 5-year, and they come to me.

If you have the need for that kind of extinguisher, you have the need- and you pays the cost.

Like your planes btw, I used to do a little flying back in the day...

I bought one at HGR very similar (used purple K) and it was much newer.

Paid $30 for it.

Emptied it out, and am re purposing as a tire bead seater.

Back