What's new
What's new

OT Looking for Radar Books

SIP6A

Titanium
I'm looking to buy a set of books The Rad Lab Series. It's a 27 Volume set that was published in 1947. Written by the Scientists from MIT that developed Radar during WWII. Here's a link to tell you more.

The MIT Rad Lab Series

For a set in as nice of condition as the one in the link I would go $800.00

I'm a bit curious in why an interest in old radar books. Definitely a bit off topic for a machinist forum. Having said that, did you contact the folks at MIT?

I'm a bit curious in why an interest in old radar books. Definitely a bit off topic for a machinist forum. Having said that, did you contact the folks at MIT?

If you read the book about Bell labs and the chapter titled "War Work" you'd learn about the magnetron, waveguides, and all the precise machining that went on for such.

Last edited:

Couple of reasons. I collect technical books and radar is quite possible the greatest technical achievement of WWII. In less than three years we went from what was effectively radio to automatic fire control of batteries of antiaircraft guns. I have also read that Radar has saved more lives than any other invention in human history. Finely whenever anyone post an electronic question I am always very impressed by the depth of knowledge that is here on electronics. Thought some one could point me in the right direction to find a set. I can collect a set one volume at a time, but would like to get a set in one purchase.

Haven't contacted MIT but I have sent feelers to used book dealers throughout New England without success.

Couple of reasons. I collect technical books and radar is quite possible the greatest technical achievement of WWII. In less than three years we went from what was effectively radio to automatic fire control of batteries of antiaircraft guns. I have also read that Radar has saved more lives than any other invention in human history. Finely whenever anyone post an electronic question I am always very impressed by the depth of knowledge that is here on electronics. Thought some one could point me in the right direction to find a set. I can collect a set one volume at a time, but would like to get a set in one purchase.

Haven't contacted MIT but I have sent feelers to used book dealers throughout New England without success.

If you're an RF or microwave engineer (I am), this set is like the Bible of modern electronics. It's really phenomenal that it was ever even published - this is all of the fundamental theory and much of the practical how-to needed design a radar system of that era (and much of the information holds today). In this day and age, where the most basic things get classified for 20+ years, its amazing that this information wasn't designated as classified. But there was a reason - this was the United States' technological statement to the world that we were and forever would be the leaders of these technologies, that we were the dominant technological force in the world.

By far, the most interesting book of them all is the last one on "computing mechanisms and linkages". Bear in mind that at the time these systems were developed, simply counting 1's and 0's really fast wasn't considered the universal path forward in computational analysis. This book basically deals with how to build mechanical computers. Its fascinating that they didn't see that we would just take a completely different approach and do the most simple thing possible really fast.

When people see my set and ask me why I have it, I simply tell them that its art. It is.

This place is pretty interesting, and they claim to have the entire Rad Lab series in their collections:

NATIONAL ELECTRONICS MUSEUM

I had to the chance to wander through there while waiting for a 'meeting' at a nearby organization. The library there is spectacular and I urge
anyone who's in the area to visit. There's a LOT of radar-related stuff on display.

I understand and appreciate wanting a set as a collectible item. I too have an affinity for old books. However, if you are interested in a high level overview, i recommend "Introduction to Radar Systems" by Merrill Skolnik. It's a bit of a classic text.

Back