What's new
What's new

OT?: safe place to meet for Craigs list transactions.

Bill D

Diamond
I have seen horror stories about people meeting to do a Craigslist transaction and being robbed or killed so....
Some police departments have set up a site in the police station parking lot for folks to meet and do the exchange there. It is well lit, 100% video recorded and in the station parking lot. Anything goes wrong yell loud and an officer will come running out. It would be nice if they had an outlet to power up the tool before handing over the money.
Bill

no idea if this link is legit or not.....
Safe Deal Zone - Safe Transaction Zone Locator

If I feel there's any kind of security issue, I usually arrange to meet at the main post office near my place. Lots of traffic, video cameras, and it's Federal property to any shenanigans and the FBI are involved. Most importantly, I tell contacts those reasons why we're meeting there. No issues so far.

I've only balked at one meet-up elsewhere due to neighborhood skankiness. All others have been fine. So far, of course...

Chip

Suspect this is an urban legend or some kind of troll. CL robberies are rare to the point of being a non-issue. I have done hundreds of all kinds of CL transactions, both buying and selling, never had a problem.

I know some people are paranoid and that's fine. Some sellers don't want you to come to their house, probably because they are afraid of being burgled. That's fine too. If I feel the least bit squirrelly about a buyer I will ask him to meet me in a supermarket parking lot. They usually have plugs outside, are well lit and busy.

metalmagpie

It probably depends on what you're buying...

Stolen car head units and chromies is probably indicative of a sketchy seller. A surface grinder? Probably not much of a risk.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Bill D is in Modesto, in California's central valley. That is not the nicest neighborhood (but vastly better than places like Stockton and LA). His concerns about crime are real, unfortunately.

I bought some craigslist items once and the seller had a 500W 12VDC-120VAC inverter power supply hooked up in order to demonstrate the items. Nice touch. You could do the same as a buyer. Just don't run too long or you will need a jump to get your vehicle started. :-(

LM

My brother went to tenement building in Detroit to buy a high price something for a good price.. parked where the fellow said..
Was met by a guy wielding a knife..Lucky my brother knew how to fight and kicked the guy in the face. Guy was still out cold when my brother drove away.

QT: [Are they really that bad?] I have gone to a number of houses for craigs list items and never having a problem.

Went once to a million dollar house to buy a trailer hitch bike rack for 50 bucks or so..

Over here I won't do off site meets, either buying or selling, if selling what they've come to buy is all they see, if I'm buying and don't like the look of the place, ......I simply phone and call the deal off, .or don't like / trust the seller, then I'm out of there like a shot.

It probably depends on what you're buying...

A surface grinder? Probably not much of a risk.

Interestingly enough, the strangest Craigslist deal I was ever involved with was when I went to look at a Reid surface grinder several years ago. When I arrived at the sellers building I couldn't find anyone. It wasn't clear which entrance was the right one and there was a Doberman guard dog chained up to a post near one of the entrances. Finally, I called the seller an told him I was on site and of course, he opened up the door where the dog was and told me to come in. As I approached, the dog was growling and came as close to me as his chain would allow (there was about 2-3 feet of space between the building and the dog where I could get by). You would think the owner would have come out and calmed the dog down, but he didn't do anything.

When I went inside all of the lights were out. The building had power, but the seller didn't turn any lights on. I felt like Bruce Willis going into that shop in Pulp Fiction.

I looked at the grinder and it ran, but it had to be the most abused piece of equipment I had ever seen. It had about 2 inches of grit built up on every surface and the surrounding area. Spindle bearings were shot. I told the seller that I wasn't interested and he just wouldn't take no for an answer. I finally told him I had to make arrangements with a rigger and got the hell out of the place (I had to go past the damn dog again).

About a month later I was at a machinery dealer and mentioned that I looked at a grinder at this shop. The first words out of their mouths was "that guy is one weird duck."

I agree about the urban legend bit, but there are a couple of things I do. I'm only dealing in machining stuff, so I get if you're selling phones or tire its different ball game

First, as a buyer, I would never ever go and meet someone somewhere. Its the buy side imo that is exposed as thats where the cash is. I'm not walking into an anonymous meeting with a pocket full of cash. THAT is stupid. I am not worried walking into someone house, who has machinists stuff for sale....people with unsavory intentions don't give out their home address - unless its some trashing address in the worst part of town. in which case i don't go. Once, out of a lot of purchases, a seller was nervous and I assuaged by giving a 'real' work email. They emailed me to confirm at what was clearly a corporate url, i'm not longer anonymous, problem solved. Still think it was irrational paranoia on their part ....as a seller, what are they giving up with a address? The phone book is full of them....I could walk up to any house and mug them, they don't have to have a lathe for sale. :crazy:

On the sell side, I'm also not meeting - I don't have time to drive especially given the no shows. You come to my house, BUT, I apply some filters. If you do not exhibit basic courtesies, you're not coming to my house. Rude, no please and thank you etc, sorry, no response. Its far from perfect, but I think there is less likelihood of someone brought up properly to have the required lack of values needed to go around conking people on the head. Secondly, I always say "please confirm a time and give me your phone number and I'll get you directions. They never get the address with given the phone number. I'll often call. It takes away the anonymity. No one is going to come with ill intent if they can be identified. That little step also stops 9/10 no show flakes.

Even if the guy gives me a "burner" number, whats he got? Oh a guy lives here, and he has a $25 micrometer? who cares, whats the end game to make worthwhile? doesn't make sense.

Last point, anyone understand why craiglist and kijiji started masking the emails awhile ago? Seems incredible stupid....increasing anonymity increases the chance of a problem imo.

Suspect this is an urban legend or some kind of troll. CL robberies are rare to the point of being a non-issue. I have done hundreds of all kinds of CL transactions, both buying and selling, never had a problem.

I know some people are paranoid and that's fine. Some sellers don't want you to come to their house, probably because they are afraid of being burgled. That's fine too. If I feel the least bit squirrelly about a buyer I will ask him to meet me in a supermarket parking lot. They usually have plugs outside, are well lit and busy.

metalmagpie

Nope.

Ohio man convicted for three murders in Craigslist job ad killings - CNN.com

17 indicted in auto-theft ring that targeted Craigslist sellers | NJ.com

And also just google craigslist thefts.

Chip

I doubt meeting at the biker bar is good tactic; not a good idea to claim to be in a club. Of course, if you are in a biker club, might be a great place to meet.

anyone understand why craiglist and kijiji started masking the emails awhile ago? Seems incredible stupid....increasing anonymity increases the chance of a problem imo.

Because people just emailed the sellers directly and screwed ebay and kijiji out of their commissions.

I went to pick up my first metal lathe several years ago... I actually bought two and a ton of machinist junk (the stuff that's better than the machines). The guy had a replica store from somewhere in the late 1800's/early 1900's. It was a movie set in his back yard, with a gas station outside... Full of replica items of the day, made from small wood blocks wrapped in printed paper labels that look real from a foot away. He also has dozens of rare car parts stored away in a very secret place, which I will not disclose. It was one of the coolest places I've ever been, and happen to drive by there occasionally.

Back