What's new
What's new

Parting out a Bridgeport Series 1 MDI

DanielG

Stainless
I'm parting out and scrapping a Bridgeport Series 1 MDI. I believe that many of the parts are the same as on the Boss. One of the control boards is bad and isn't worth fixing. If you're interested in a specific part, let me know.

Most of the big castings are gone, but I kept most of the interesting bits to sort through. What pieces are you looking for?

I'm looking for a 42" leadscrew, feed nut bracket, lower head, table end brackets and dials and holders.

I have a Bridgeport boss that I am trying to convert over to a manual machine this is my first mill. I am definitely a greenhorn. But I love Machining!

The MDI's were capable of being run in manual or CNC mode, they had handwheels and you could disengage the servo/engage the handwheel. The main issue with using them as a manual machine is the quill. Instead of a lever like you have on a regular bridgeport, there is a handwheel for the quill with a vertical axis, which is pretty awkward.

My MDI had a shorter x-axis leadscrew, without measuring it, I'm not sure what it is, but it's less than 42".

Are you trying to replace components or add new ones? If the former, can you post pictures of what you're looking for. I'll look through the box tonight and see what I have in the way of dials, etc.

Yeah I'm trying to replace components. When I got mine it did not have handles on the feeds.

I had to take a 1947 (or so) series 1, J-head Bridgeport mill all apart to get it up and out of the cellar of a deceased friend's home. Later some idiot thieves broke into my shop, and stole a gang of classic car parts, AND the box of hardware I accumulated from taking the mill all apart.

I still do have the J-head and the Bridgeport main frame, I have the basic knee casting (with elevating, and horizontal lead screw assemblies) and I have the table saddle (that bolts between the knee and the table).

I need the following: (If you deducted the knee and saddle), I would buy every nut, bolt, table stop, all the gibs ( X,Y, and Z--for knee elevation, in and out, and lh to rh), all the felts and felt holders screws, elevation crank handle, I would buy a complete table (with gibs, all screws felts, felt holders.

Or: (at worst for me), I would just buy everything from the knee up to/and including the complete table.

I am older than dirt, so hand wheels are fine with me, but I could spring for some DRO's if the DRO were already bolted onto a mill along with the parts I need. [email protected]

Back