What's new
What's new

Parting out Gorton 3-U Pantograph

Fal Grunt

Titanium
Who needs parts?

Most of the tracer (top half) of the machine was/is missing.

The table and z axis screw are "pending"

Everything else is available.

Please post here or email me:
[email protected]

I will make a list of what few pieces of the top there is.

I will check on the bearing race, can you give me a part number?

No spindle or tensioner.

No tapered shank cutters. I am curious about the collets though? My second machine has a 5/16" collet, is there taper behind that? What do the chucks go for? I made a mini tool holder that goes in the 5/16 for 1/8".

I will check on the bearing race, can you give me a part number?

No spindle or tensioner.

No tapered shank cutters. I am curious about the collets though? My second machine has a 5/16" collet, is there taper behind that? What do the chucks go for? I made a mini tool holder that goes in the 5/16 for 1/8".

No taper behind the 5/16" collet.
For many years Gorton used only their own proprietary taper in the spindles of their pantographs. This is the taper the earlier poster is referring to.
At some point in the '30s Gorton started offering this new collet system with a 5/16" max capacity in what they called their pantomills.
You could buy an adapter which let you use the taper shank tools in your collet equipped pantomill.

Trboatworks, did you get a chance to figure out the part number? I'm going to put most this stuff in the classifieds for a bit then eBay. Let me know though if you figure out what you need.

If anyone needs anything, and I mean anything, let me know. This second machine was complete, but not worth saving. I took what I needed off of it and the remainder will be going on eBay or the scrap yard unless someone here needs it.

Tracer arms
Table
Screws and bushings
Motor
Weight
Pulley and tensioner
Spindle
Accessory tray
Large belt cover / tray
Gibs, handwheel, lock screws, etc etc

Tell me what you are willing to pay, I'll say yay or nay. Not looking to get rich, just cover my time and cost.

Last edited:
image.jpg
image.jpg

$50 for the spindle
$30 for the accessory tray
$30 for the "Y" axis screw
$20 accessory tray/belt cover
$20 pulleys/tensioner

And if you need anything else let me know.

I'll take the spindle if the bearings are still good.

When I get out to the shop tomorrow I will take a look at my machine and let you know about other parts.
Definitely the bearing race- I will grab a photo of it.

I didn't even bother trying to sell the second.

The weird thing about these pantograph's, they SELL for weird prices. $100, $500, $1500, and I don't know why. Seemingly similar condition machine sell for vastly different prices.

If it's a nice machine, keep it intact. They are slow, but they have their place.

Back