What's new
What's new

Question- what percentage of retail is fair value for pricing tooling?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I have some tooling I have to sell and I am wondering what is considered a fair price for items.

Lathe chucks, drill chucks, boring heads, various arbors etc.
Many NIB

Thanks all

Depends I’ve gotten tons of nos stuff for 10% retail. Sometimes kicking myself for not grabbing more when I had the chances. But I think fair is around 30% or so. Can probably get 50% but it really depends on the items some are much more sought after than others. Like if you have a 3” criterion boring head with an r8 shank it will probably go for more than a cat50 integrated shank boring head bit maybe not if you find someone that needs it

FWIW, I find it very subjective, depending on if the product is still available commercially. If not, it could be because it was a bad product, or it could also mean they are rare and will command a price even higher than retail.

If it's still commercially available, I typically won't pay more than 50% of retail - mostly it's because I'm cheap. Or am I frugal? ;) If it's available now, someone else will have one for sale later and maybe be more interested in making a quick sale. But also, because if it's something that could have a warranty on it, I'd rather buy it and get a warranty. But again, that all depends on what it is or if I need it now.

My opinion here is for anything, in general, not just tools and tooling.

Generally 30% - 40% is about average in my experience buying and selling. I have done way way better on occasion both ways though. It is dependent on the item, condition, rarity (desirability), etc.

One other consideration to factor in is who you intend to sell to. If you are putting stuff up on ebay for the anonymous armies of dealers, tire kickers,crooks, and legit folks, charge high and see who bites. OTOH, if you are selling your small stuff here on PM and want to be a good guy - the route I favor - consider making 50% your max, and go down even further, to a price you would consider a real favor if your were buying it yourself. Think of this present forum as a marketplace where we can do each other favors, not as a source of revenue.

-Marty-

I agree with Marty.

I typically look at 50% of new for stuff in new or like-new condition.

Less as the item has more use, wear and/or damage.

I also look at what's the odds I will use it. Got a Cameron drill press for $50. Not going to use it much, but for $50, it's worth the few times I've used it.

Steve

When selling into a forum like this one, I think a lot rides on your established reputation. A well-respected member of some years will "get away" with asking for closer to retail pricing of goods, a new member promising the moon will be looked on skeptically and may have to go to ~20% pricing to get people to take the risk.

You, being the former, should be able to get 40-50% of new street prices, maybe more with the right product or desirability. But it's so variable - is the person in need looking at FS threads that day? How patient can you be??

I'd also suggest tempering rapid "$450", then "OK, $400?", etc adjustments on something. Too quick, to often and people will just know to wait, even if the initial price was quite reasonable.

I've come to the conclusion that, rather than accumulating a lot of tooling i may never use, i'll buy new or new-ish when i need it. The net result is i'll only buy and store stuff when it's dirt-cheap and there's a reasonable chance i might use it. The exception may be in tool-holders.

A lot depends of if it is a special purpose/rarely used item or something a lot of people want and/or buy on a regular basis. If it is something used regularly The value is closer to retail, maybe 60-70% of it's "on sale" price. If it is more specialized then much lower, 30-40% to entice those who don't really need it now to buy and hold it until it is needed.

depends on condition of course and also a common a thing is. Regular used tools you find in someones tool box, 15-50% with 50 being brand new never used wrapped in plastic, 25% for good used condition with original box etc. Same doesn't apply to expensive uncommon items, shop stuff vs individual, which can be discounted a lot. Fewer buyers as shops are less to futz about on classifieds when they need something

Let's say you have a good used tool like an Armstrong torque screwdriver. If your buyer really needs one chances are he's already bought new. A different buyer needs a real incentive to buy that tool right now. That's why you mark down the price. After he buys it he can't return it and there is no warranty. Often there is no manual and any special wrenches are missing. I say 25% of new is top dollar. 10% is better, and 5% is a great deal.

metalmagpie

Thank you all for the posts.

I find myself with tooling I need to sell and as all of you know this is just another job in the day.
It takes real time to get things listed and moved along and the money realized is simply returned to the business in the purchase of the never ending list of things one must buy to keep the shop going.

I am very fluent on eBay and have had no problem moving things along there.
For some reason I was thinking to just sell here instead this time.
I will get things organized and post.

Thanks again.

Discounts vary,
Big end may be 60 to 75 percent off of list on any tooling.
Others get zero.
Who is the target buyer.
Do this outside and 10 cents on the list dollar is the basic norm but there all always suckers to be had.
Bob

Back