State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Recent Lathe Dog Purchase

I recently purchased these.

Lathe dogs

I caught a lot of flack for jumping in with a higher than the asking price offer, after a deal had been made at the asking price. I don't think it worked out very well for me. I'm sure this will make at least some of you very happy. I know I'm going to get beat up over this and that's OK. I'm a big boy. I can take it. But in between the ass whuppins I would like to get your opinion about the lathe dogs.

I'm not very pleased with the condition of them. The seller said I didn't ask any questions. I didn't. I assumed if there were issues they would have been mentioned. The sellers says he's not a lathe dog expert. Neither am I. So I don't know, maybe I have no complaint. What do ya'll think?

The first pic shows the dogs that are in good condition with no repairs or added pieces. The rest have altered and/or repaired. Lots of welded on pieces.

2. Likes 1yesca liked this post
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let me provide my humble opinion. A lathe dog is not a precision tool. It has a task to accomplish, and if it does that part, it is a useful tool, period, regardless of its appearance.

If you want to turn around and resell them at inflated prices, then, yes, the fact that some don't look good up close is not good for you.

Now, if you want to use them as lathe dogs, then use them and move on.

I think, considering the linked thread about the purchase of said dogs, that perhaps our good friend Karma got involved! You wanted them so bad that you were willing to double the asking price to get them. Why would you complain now?

Good luck, and chill!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That last photo, frame it and it'll look cool in an art show. Sitting on your coffee table? Probably not. Secured to a piece of stock driven by a drive plate should work fine. Did you buy these to line them up and look pretty or use them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ran a lot of lathes back in the day but never had to use a lathe dog. When and why are they used?

Post Thanks / Like

The MODIFIED / USED UP ones show that someone knew what to do them and likely did it on the fly

What you are missing is the large volume of such tools that were used up enough to go in the scrap hopper

I can guarantee they were not made to just look at

7. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You got $100 worth of lathe dogs. What's the problem?

9. Likes cyanidekid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I saw the original post, and wanted them, but someone else had already spoken up. You set the new price, now you are complaining?

P.S. That last one is a piece of art!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep some are a bit used/modified so what ! They are a piece of tooling,sometimes you need to modify tooling to do what you need to do. All but the "ART" piece are still quite usuable ,pull up your big girl panties and get on with life!!

12. Likes reggie_obe liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    I saw the original post, and wanted them, but someone else had already spoken up. You set the new price, now you are complaining?

P.S. That last one is a piece of art!
    The Op changed it from a fixed price selling into an online auction which is frowned up here for several reasons.

The fact the seller did NOT honor the first sale, and went with the OP is yet another matter.

FWIW I looked at the pix the when originally posted and saw all the welding, it's a normal thing with these.

BTW some are not Lathe dogs, but Grinder dogs.

14. Likes James H Clark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Must have been unclear on the concept.

Did you think you were buying NEW?

I have some oats I can sell you! Only been through the horse once! LOL!

Man the fuck up. You got a lifetime supply of lathe dogs, for the price you offered, not the price asked.

Call it the price of an education, and look closer at the goods before you barge ahead of the other guy next time.

16. Likes JohnEvans, reggie_obe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    The Op changed it from a fixed price selling into an online auction which is frowned up here for several reasons.
    The fact the seller did NOT honor the first sale, and went with the OP is yet another matter.

FWIW I looked at the pix the when originally posted and saw all the welding, it's a normal thing with these.

BTW some are not Lathe dogs, but Grinder dogs.
    Exactly.... I have an issue with the seller and the buyer....

18. Likes digger doug, JohnEvans liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I manned the fuck up by startinbg this thread, as I knew you guys would lay into me. Like I said I can take it.

Maybe I expect too much from sellers in general. As much as everyone hates eBay, you have to describe items accurately or you'll have to refund the money in full AND pay for return shipping. eBay gives you no choice in the matter.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let me ask ya'll this: If YOU had been selling these on this forum, would you have described their condition? Or included more detailed photos?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Personally, I don't think you did anything wrong by offering more money. If the seller had a gentleman's agreement with another buyer, it's on him to honor it.

That said, I think it's kind of funny that you got screwed after swooping in. Sorry. Not that I think you're wrong to be pissed, just that I don't have sympathy given the circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ptsmith View Post
    Maybe I expect too much from sellers in general. As much as everyone hates eBay, you have to describe items accurately or you'll have to refund the money in full AND pay for return shipping.
    All that welding and mods was shown in the pictures in the first thread, IF you did not look at the pictures close enough (or at all) then......

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is the best thread on PM in a long time!

24. Likes MichaelP, cyanidekid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two lonely dishonorable souls found each other...

26. Likes johfoster, swatkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just curious, how much did you pay for them?
    JH

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I absolutely respect the Proper etiquette of selling here, for instance, if an item is listed elsewhere, I think a poster should disclose that, because we would know a “yes I’ll take it” commitment is contingent on prior sale in that case, BUT I’m going to defend the seller.

In the FS post;

1) the items are presented plainly, there isn’t much to “conceal” with a lathe dog, and the pic fairly represents them. It’s not like there was hidden damage. Rust and modification was plainly visible. If it was a more complex thing, and say some internal parts were missing, that’s different. It’s all laid out there, no mis-representation, or failure to disclose.

2) the respondent some others are considering the “first in line”, in post #6, says “I’m interested” NOT “I’ll take them” they go on to ask about shipping, so one could infer genuine interest, but no, I’m interested is not the same as I’ll take them. Enough of a grey area that he’s off the hook, at least for the most part! You can make the case One should ask the first poster to clarify at that point but I’d say not a done deal yet in this case,

The buyer??? No, you have no grounds to complain. Aside from condition being plainly visible Those without mods or damage will clean up just fine if you know how.

PS, that last one is cool! I like it, I would put it on display myself.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's easy to see the welds and added pieces in the sellers pics after I've posted large pics detailing them. Now you're going back to the seller's pics and are looking for it. Totally different situation. No one in the original thread said anything about it so I assume no one noticed it until now.

Admittedly I wasn't looking for flaws. My mistake for trusting the seller too much.

I fully expected to catch shit for offering more money and it coming back to bite me in the ass. I did *not* expect everyone to defend the seller's lack of disclosure of condition. I didn't foresee *anyone* doing that. That's really surprising. And puzzling.