What's new
What's new

Right angle granite surface plate

SShep71

Hot Rolled
I have a complex surface plate that I am looking to sell. The flat surface plate portion has a small (about a us quarter) mark on it, other than that the measuring surfaces are perfect shape. There are metric stainless steel inserts on the raised right angle portion, the inserts are on the top front and back. There are two sets of inserts on the large flat surface. The frame is entirely made of 316 stainless steel tube with a 1/2" stainless steel plate under the granite plate. The granite is connected to the frame with isolators on four corners. The frame also has jacking pads on four corners and wheels on four corners. Originally the assembly was from the semi-conductor industry. I used it for a project I was doing where the right angle portion with inserts made everything incredibly easier. I am asking $450.00 for the assembly or I am up to doing some bartering for carbide and other tooling. I can load it with a forklift. If you are interested let me know. The upper right angle portion is 50" wide, 6 3/4" deep, 8" tall. The flat surface is 42 3/8" wide, 25 1/4" deep and 9 3/4" tall. From the top of the right angle portion to the main surface is 16". 13926 (1).jpg13929 (1).jpg13928 (1).jpg13924.jpg13925.jpg

Last edited:
One of a few tools we buy at a premium, use very little, then can't give away, yet it takes up too much room to keep.

Naw…..

You send it to a tombstone carver....and get it just the way you want it to read (minus the "end date")

Then you have specific instructions written into your will.

:D

There was a dozen or so of those same configuration granite bases for free at a tech business in Beaverton, OR. They were heavily advertised on craigslist for a month or so before the ad finally went away.

Originally likely a base for a machine vision system.
Big plus here as a flat plate there will be no wear on what is normally a high grade piece.
Ignore the top 90 and think of it as a totally unused and new surface plate with a nice stand plus some tapped holes that are handy in a plate.
Bob

Naw…..

You send it to a tombstone carver....and get it just the way you want it to read (minus the "end date")

Then you have specific instructions written into your will.

:D

When my Dad died I wanted to get a new black granite surface plate and is use for a headstones. The monument company wouldn’t touch it. They said they wouldn’t work on a piece of stone they didn’t sell.

When my Dad died I wanted to get a new black granite surface plate and is use for a headstones. The monument company wouldn’t touch it. They said they wouldn’t work on a piece of stone they didn’t sell.

Find another company.....

FWIW I was in HGR one day a few years ago, and they had a bunch-o granite plates, and had a sale going on.

Now they had some big ones, maybe 4' x 8' x 18" thick, but they had been in the forklift derby a few times, and had corners chipped off, marks on the surface etc. IIRC the big ones might have been down to $150 each.

A guy walks in and starts holding his head and freaking out....:nutter:
I explained how they were all useless (at least to machinist types) as the accuracy was all gone. I figured he was lamenting all the damage.

I inquired and found out he "works in stone" and this (to him) was the "Deal of a lifetime".

Bought up all he could.

Had wondered at one point if I could buy a larger plate, and slice it into several sections 18” deep by 8” wide by, say, 8 feet long for mastering longer straight edges etc. Unfortunately, even if a guy could sell the extra bits, by the time you’d payed for slicing and lapping into A grade, it’s still cheaper just to buy a regular new plate.

L7

Anyone interested at all? I am asking $150.00, which is what the scrap yard offered for the stainless frame. If I still have it this week the granite is going to the landfill and the frame is going to scrap. Just let me know as soon as possible. This is in the way and I need the space back.

Back