What's new

Rolled canvas phenolic log

3-3/4" dia x 33" long
17.6 lbs
Mfg unknown

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

3.75" rod ground from flat laid canvas phenolic seems to cost aprox $12.xx/inch current sources.
This is rolled, cannot find current source similar size.
May have more appeal to cue makers or furniture builders; However if rolled is needed for a mechanical app, here it is.

I'd be happy to sell 24" length (+ 1/4 - 1/2" trim) for $220 & keep a short piece for my estate auction.
Entire 33" length for $300. + shipping.

e h m co fab at g male dot com
I am a miserable failure at PM's so use the email or post here.

Thanks!
smt

Cool stuff. Hadn't seen that version of phenolic before.

Rolled is not common but is still available in small diameters, probably for stand-offs and such. Cue makers use it for threaded inserts and sometimes ferules. I've used new sourced 1/2" & 5/8" diameter rolled rods for threaded inserts and such (for adjustable features) in wooden furniture.

is that Ultem in the foreground?

I believe so, but don't know how to prove it. The bundle was still in original wrapping; packing slip long gone, no marks, scribbles, or other ID. May try initial ad hoc flame test when there is a round to-it in the moment.
Any ideas: simple test(s) for clear yes/no?

Centerless ground, most of the rods appear to be about .006 over 1-1/4" (1.256")

smt

No great ideas, but the color and degree of transparency is distinctive. Having only purchased it with certs, I've never done any testing.

I'd be happy to send you some small pieces of the known for you to do comparative tests. Still on Monkey Run Rd? :)

Neil -

haven't moved.
When doing interminable work in the house, I mention the idea from time to time. Wife reminds me "how are you going to move all those machines again? Don't forget all the stuff you stashed in all the neighbors barns, either!"

Ironically, i just bought a box of Ultem 1000 PEI drops from the guy selling them on PM a couple months ago.
Fortuitously, that is how i came to learn about the product, & perceive what (likely) was on the ground with plumbing PVC at the auction.

IOW, there is known product here to compare. The visual match is close, the "known" product has a greenish hue (like deep water) behind the gold, that the auction lot seems to lack. OTOH, the drops are larger diameter.

smt

Stephen,

Yeah, occasionally I think of how much work it would be to move, too. But I'll prob do what my Dad did - leave it all for the executors/auctioneers to deal with.

To be fair, my 2400sq ft of shop and storage space with good access is small compared to his 10,000, stacked to 12' tall with no aisles. I loved going through it, treasures everywhere. The rest of my family just thought it was junk. But... they're the kind of people that mow their lawns.:D

The Ultem that's come through here has been customer supplied material on a job that's run for almost 30 years. There's been some color variation, mostly darker/lighter shades of amber. I don't see green in ways that others do, your eye prob agrees more with the norm.

Dunno how many variations in Ultem are available in rod and sheet, but the resin choices for molders are staggering, 123 (here) by Subic, developers of the stuff.

Back