What's new
What's new

Rules and suggestions, READ BEFORE POSTING

Mebfab

Diamond
I am putting together a summary of expected behavior.

Please read this entire post before posting an ad. Particularly if you are now to the site.

1. Try to post a picture with your ad. The chances are NOBODY is going to buy your stuff if you dont send them one anyway. There is a known software bug that often prevents attaching a picture in the first post. So put up your post and add the photo with the edit button or add it in a reply. Size the picture such that they will load in a fairly short timeframe. If a prospective customer wants a better/more pictures he can ask that they be sent.

2. Use a title that describe if you are buying or selling. And what it is, be et least somewhat descriptive.

3. Do not bother someone unless you actually want to (or may want to buy it). Dont be a tire kicker.

4. If you say you are going to buy something, follow through and buy it or be courteous and say "sorry I cant follow through" This has become a problem. And some of the guilty parties are long time posters.

5. All are welcome. But this is a free service. You are expected to pay by participating in other areas of the site. If you are simply here to sell you are not welcome. And saying that "I am trying to help people" will get you booted. That is the #1 response of the type A salesmen that end up being banned. You are here to help yourself. Some leeway will be given to first time posters. But not much.

6. Post in the appropriate forum. Tooling and parts in one, machines in the other. If it plugs in a wall it is a machine. If it bolts to something it is not.

7. This is a forum intended for professional users (once again all welcome) and as such antique machines should be posted in the antique section. Hobby grade machines, chinese, et al, are not to be posted on this board. ATLAS, CRAFTSMEN, small horizontals, etc are not allowed. Small southbends are best posted in the SB section.

8, If there is a problem with a seller or buyer, let me know. As with anything with life, exercise caution.

9. Be realistic with conditions and research your market. If you sandblast an item and slather it with paint, things are not going to go well for you.

10. Though not required, it is STRONGLY recommended that you include a price. And be realistic. If it sells on ebay for $200 you are not going to get $500 here. It is understood that not everyone knows every price or situation, but do not use the shotgun approach and simply put "make an offer" on a constant basis.

11. Be civil. If you are only interested in trolling it is not welcome. I understand that some people need a kick but it is getting out of hand and I will start to delete posts. I do understand that some ads need to have the OP called out. But be constructive and dont be a jerk.

12. Two new for sale posts per day. If you put more I will delete all of them.

13. No links to industrial auctions unless they are your own. I am not counting ebay.

14. as to ebay. If you link to your ebay auction, that is fine. But if you do not contribute otherwise then no leeway will be given. In other words if all you do is spam your ebay auction and do not otherwise participate your ads will be deleted. Keep doing it and you wont be missed.

Probably more and I will add to this list.

IF YOU PAY WITH PAYPAL FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND THE SELLER DOES NOT SHIP, YOU HAVE NO RECOURSE

Last edited:
I am new to the site, and just now read the rules, as result of some discussion about # of postings and selling things. Does participating in the form, ie offering what advise, or comments i might have constitute participation? I joined this site at the recommendation of a friend when the question of reprogramming base parameters for a Mazak qt10 that has been out of service for many years came up. Since a member I have greatly enjoyed the discussions and have been surprised at the amount of knowledge I have and how creative the answers to questions have been. I love old manual machines, and my own mind seems to run 30 yrs behind the times so 30 year old technology like the qt 10 seem to fit right in. I am currently planning to tool up the qt and a boss 8 to do some parts for a brushless alternator that is my own design which uses some delco technology. It seems the questions and problems that I will face should fit right in. Tim

Hello Mebfab,
I'm getting consistent negative replies to my post, most recently stating that my post is not appropriate. Politely, this is how I replied;

ViseCleats are sold directly from the manufacturer; (ortoolworks), no salesmen are involved in our product. There are several models that we make and we sell made to order models as well. On our website, we offer valuable tips on their usage and we have received 100% positive comments from our customers, which many are repeat buyers.
About 2 months ago I posted a similar post, although the majority of the replies were negative, We are certain that hundreds of viewers found our product useful.
thank you,
otrlt

otrl, you no read good.

5. All are welcome. But this is a free service. You are expected to pay by participating in other areas of the site. If you are simply here to sell you are not welcome. And saying that "I am trying to help people" will get you booted. That is the #1 response of the type A salesmen that end up being banned. You are here to help yourself. Some leeway will be given to first time posters. But not much.

Maybe if you contributed in areas other than the classifieds you wouldn't get the negative replies.

I am putting together a summary of expected behavior.

Please read this entire post before posting an ad. Particularly if you are now to the site.

1. Try to post a picture with your ad. The chances are NOBODY is going to buy your stuff if you dont send them one anyway. There is a known software bug that often prevents attaching a picture in the first post. So put up your post and add the photo with the edit button or add it in a reply. Size the picture such that they will load in a fairly short timeframe. If a prospective customer wants a better/more pictures he can ask that they be sent.

2. Use a title that describe if you are buying or selling. And what it is, be et least somewhat descriptive.

3. Do not bother someone unless you actually want to (or may want to buy it). Dont be a tire kicker.

4. If you say you are going to buy something, follow through and buy it or be courteous and say "sorry I cant follow through" This has become a problem. And some of the guilty parties are long time posters.

6. Post in the appropriate forum. Tooling and parts in one, machines in the other. If it plugs in a wall it is a machine. If it bolts to something it is not.

7. This is a forum intended for professional users (once again all welcome) and as such antique machines should be posted in the antique section. Hobby grade machines, chinese, et al, are not to be posted on this board. ATLAS, CRAFTSMEN, small horizontals, etc are not allowed. Small southbends are best posted in the SB section.

8, If there is a problem with a seller or buyer, let me know. As with anything with life, exercise caution.

9. Be realistic with conditions and research your market. If you sandblast an item and slather it with paint, things are not going to go well for you.

10. Though not required, it is STRONGLY recommended that you include a price. And be realistic. If it sells on ebay for $200 you are not going to get $500 here. It is understood that not everyone knows every price or situation, but do not use the shotgun approach and simply put "make an offer" on a constant basis.

11. Be civil. If you are only interested in trolling it is not welcome. I understand that some people need a kick but it is getting out of hand and I will start to delete posts. I do understand that some ads need to have the OP called out. But be constructive and dont be a jerk.

12. Two new for sale posts per day. If you put more I will delete all of them.

13. No links to industrial auctions unless they are your own. I am not counting ebay.

14. as to ebay. If you link to your ebay auction, that is fine. But if you do not contribute otherwise then no leeway will be given. In other words if all you do is spam your ebay auction and do not otherwise participate your ads will be deleted. Keep doing it and you wont be missed.

Probably more and I will add to this list.

Why not just setup a separate classified section? Other boards managed to do that, i think it is part of some of these hosting package, one can just post an ad and be done with it, does not clutter the discussions.

dee
;-D

I put an ad up for my Phase Perfect DPC20 the other day and now it is gone? Why? I haven't sold it yet, I meet all the criteria, I'm certainly a user of this forum. I know many users would really like to know I have my phase converter for sale, as they are hard to find used.

Am I missing something?

Hiya!

I've recently inherited a lot of machine tools from my father :( and I've been having a very difficult time selling them locally or on eBay. This forum seems like the best opportunity to liquidate these tools but I don't want to violate the rules of the forum and not add value through participation, the problem is I haven't worked with industrial machinery for over a decade so I fear I don't have much value to add. Could I list things if I promise to lurk on the woodworking/welding sections and post on the off chance that I see something worth commenting on?

Even better, would you folks happen to know a Frederick/Baltimore/Maryland/Mid-Atlantic group that I could try to meet up with and sell locally?

Many thanks!

I would say post a few on here, see what happens. My guess if they don’t sell on EBay or Craigslist you are asking too much for them.

I would suggest you post under "General" asking for Maryland members for help first and not advertise machines. No one reads this thread much. Be sure Put something like "Looking for Machinist Help in Maryland" then explain your situation. Then once you know what your asking $$ for them. Take pictures of them and learn how to post them on here. Post them in machines wanted and for sale unless they are antiques and you can calk about them in the Vintage and Antique Forum. I know 2 members who live near Baltimore and are members of Tuckahoe Steam and Gas Calendar of Events I will message them and tell them about your problem and see if they can hep.

GFred,
I'm one of the two volunteers of Tuckahoe Richard is referring to. The Museum could be interested in donation of antique machinery or equipment, or even in not so old machines, with the understanding that some might be sold for fundraising.
In general, we are suffering of a problem common on similar institutions: we have more machines than room where to place them.
Again, if the machinery is rather old (i.e. at minimum 40 years), you could post them here on the antique forum, describing first your situation, like you have done here.
You should also join CAMS and post on their mailing list. CAMS meeting are one month in Annandale (VA) and the other month in Burtonsville (MD).
For anything that can be transported fairly easily, you may consider the tailgate PATINA yard sale, which will be Saturday, March 10, CAMS has a yard sale once a year around the end of September/beginning of October.

Paolo

Hi,

Some guidance please.

We are a large bearing supplier. Specializing in hard to find bearings (including obsolete manufacturers), precision spindle bearings, much more.

We would like to make our inventory (and pricing) available to members, but I don't have a lot to offer the community in terms of machines and technical tooling support, other than bearings.

How can we be a part of the community without violating your #5 requirement?

Thank you.

FYI- here is our website to see what we do: Home - Discount BearingsDiscount Bearings It only has about 20% of our entire inventory listed at this time.

Hi,

Some guidance please.

We are a large bearing supplier. Specializing in hard to find bearings (including obsolete manufacturers), precision spindle bearings, much more.

We would like to make our inventory (and pricing) available to members, but I don't have a lot to offer the community in terms of machines and technical tooling support, other than bearings.

How can we be a part of the community without violating your #5 requirement?

Thank you.

FYI- here is our website to see what we do: Home - Discount BearingsDiscount Bearings It only has about 20% of our entire inventory listed at this time.

Can someone please advise?

Back