What's new
What's new

Safag div. Plates wanted

Greg McCreight

Plastic
Just Purchased a New in the crate Safag 2A wheel and pinion cutting machine. These are a dime a dozen used, beat up, missing bases and drive units. This is unused new. My problem is it came with 1 blank dividing plate. Before we CNC the headstock or even worse
start making plates as we need them maybe someone has a stack of them. These plates have a V notches on the OD and also a smaller plate that is indexed by a arm and cam.
The large latch plate is approx 4 3/4 dia. .310 thick. Small plate same thickness and 2 3/8 dia. mounting hole .70 Anybody got a junk machine with a box of plates. I want to see it run again.

I have these 2 plates that I have no ideas what they are from.

2 plates
38, 40

27, 34, 42

2.75" x .62" x .15"

Attachments

• Dividing Plates 1.jpg
    Dividing Plates 1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 536
Greg:

I have one of those machines also. What I have found out about dividing plates is that when the machines were made they were ordered for a particular job and one plate was shipped with the machine, that plate was cut for the number of teeth of the pinion that was to be made. The machine then spent it's whole life cutting one pinion. So consequently there are not loose plates to be found. I have gotten as far as making drawings of the plate so that I cane have plates for my machine, if you want a copy you are welcome to a set. I also have the manual for your machine if you need a copy.
Todd

I have these plates for sale. I don't know the brand or what they fit, but could be usefull to some of you.
The notches are .125" wide at the top tapering down to about .100".
The thru hole is 1.717" diameter
c'bore 2.626" diameter x .o62 deep
3 holes .201" with c'sink on ~ 2.191 bolt circle
.312" thick
divisions:
45, 60, 64, 72, 80, 84, 100
$50 per set of 7 plus $11 shipping(USA)
I have several sets
TED
[email protected]

Attachments

• indexPlates1.jpg
    indexPlates1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 240
  • indexPlates2.jpg
    indexPlates2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 263
  • indexPlates3.jpg
    indexPlates3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 402
Safag Plates other thoughts

Guys thanks a million for the replys ! The plates used on our machine consist of
a larger plate and a smaller plate mounted together. Two arms are used for indexing
one arm pushes the small plate (like a rachet wheel) the second arm moves on the
large plates diameter sliding until it catches a V notch. By adjusting the index arms
stroke it will skip notches and add multiple divisions on one plate. Todd is correct
on how these were shipped mine came with one blake plate. My thought are to ask
around, then do what I know I will have to do ! Make plates ! I am lucky to have
two headstocks that hold the div. plates I think I will do a 60:1 worm and worm
wheel retrofit with a small size 23 stepper motor and use CNC indexer to divide
yy wheels and rig a simple switch to index after each pass. For (clock/watchmaking)
This would be better since so many divisions are needed,.better than hunting plates.
It will be easy to make plates from Delrin/Aluminum also. I want to get the machine in
use we have lots of other ways to mfg one off wheels but these machines are so
smooth and have quite a bit of mass so the cutting process is very nice. Almost
perfect pinions way better than anything done with a leadscrew and handle or lever
I just like Swiss Cams ! Thanks again

I just obtained a well used Safag and am in need of information,. I would like to purchase a copy of the manual and any drawings that might show the cams. I have just begumn to clean and free up the machine, it has been stored under less than optimum conditions for some time.Any assistance is appreciated and any costs cheerfully borne, Thank , Ron Bechler, 408 926 3212

Hi All,

is anyone available to sell me a copy of the Safag 118 2a Manual in English or in French pls ?
I have the German one and I cant read it.

tnks rgds

Enzo

Back