What's new
What's new

for sale cast iron block with v groove

CBlair

Diamond
This sale is for two cast iron block with a v groove for holding and measuring components on a surface plate. I am asking $200 for the pair. I want to sell them both in one sale, I dont want to break them up but I may consider doing it. I purchased these from a company that went out of business years ago but have never had a surface plate large enough to use them.

These blocks are approximately 200mm square, just under 8 inches. I do not know if they are made as a matched pair or not, but I dont think so. There is only one clamp as shown in the photograph.

These are in great shape with hardly any sign of use. The only problem is that the bottom rusted from many years of storage in the wooden box. I had a friend with a large Okamoto surface grinder grind both blocks at the same time so they will match one another in height. He only ground them on the bottom, I did not scrape the surfaces after grinding.

These were made in Japan and the company still makes them today.

Cast Iron Box Block with V Groove | Obishi Keiki Seisakusho

I dont know what grade these are but I am going to assume grade B. The wooden boxes are not made very well and are fragile and a bit cheap. If these were the special grade blocks I think they would have better quality boxes.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have, I dont know if I can tell you more than I already have but I will try.

These things way about 50lbs each in the wooden box so expect shipping to be costly for the pair. I only use UPS for these and I will package them very well so expect some expense for my effort. I will provide a shipping quote once I have an address.

If you would prefer them on a pallet and shipped by freight we will work with you on that as well. I dont know if it would be any cheaper than me boxing them and shipping UPS or not.

Charles Blair

I dont know what has happened but my photos dont seem to be in my submission?

Here they are.

Charles

Attachments

• iron vee block 6.jpg
    iron vee block 6.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 334
  • iron vee block 5.jpg
    iron vee block 5.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 313
  • iron vee block 3.jpg
    iron vee block 3.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 291
  • iron vee block 2.jpg
    iron vee block 2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 280
  • iron vee block 1.jpg
    iron vee block 1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 241
These are still available, I did a quick shipping quote and a rough price for the shipping was $64 ea. While I know that is a lot keep in mind these things way about 55lbs with the packaging. I dont really want to sell them individually but I am willing to discuss it if the shipping is more than you might have expected.

I will probably go to $125ea if you only buy one of them. I dont know what the price for these is new but I wouldnt be surprised to find them $800 ea. Does anyone know what the price might be for these?

Charles

IF they fit in a post office flat rate box the weight limit is 70 lbs and a large flat rate costs a little less than $20 for 2 day shipping. Just use good packing practices and all is fine.

When packaged they are 12in and there is no way I would ship these in some crappy flat rate box. These need protection and there is no way I would ship them that way. These are not nails! These are precision tools.

Charles

Consider shipping them thru Fastenal's shipping service.

They use the empty space on their delivery trucks to ship you stuff from one store to another.

We got a decent quote to ship a 105 lb drill press (after adding in some for crating).

Their web site has the info. You enter all your data and they send you a quote.

Steve

These are not nails! These are precision tools.
Charles

It really does not matter what shipper is used. The ALL damage packages, UPS is no exception. Pack things like they will be treated as a football and it has a good chance of arriving undamaged.
My favorite is the guy at about 2:08 who punts the box onto the roof, Like to se that with one of these cast iron blocks ;)
YouTube

Last I heard fastenal will not ship into calif or nevada, all their trucks are at capacity and there is no room for customer shipments. Great for the rest of the country though:angry:

When packaged they are 12in and there is no way I would ship these in some crappy flat rate box. These need protection and there is no way I would ship them that way. These are not nails! These are precision tools.

Charles

Charles I know these are too large for the box but I think of the flat rate boxes in a different manner... To me all they really are is "wrapping paper" for the real plywood box made to fit inside the flat rate box. :)

Thanks for all your help with my shipping. However, this is not my first time at this. These parts will not fit in any flat rate box so that is not an option. If you want me to ship by Fastenal I will charge you an extra $50. The only Fastenal that will take packages for shipping is an hour away. And the last box I did send by that service costs more than UPS.

The box I will use cost $7ea, tape costs $4 a roll I pack loose space with dense foam. I dont package for a living but I do machine parts for a living and I know how to ship them.

Finally, I found the price for these blocks are over $800 ea so if you are not willing to pay $170 for them then you do not need them.

Charles

Blocks are sold pending final arrangements thank you to everyone who showed interest and contributed to the conversation.

Its been a busy week and I am glad these are sold, now I can buy new stuff I really need.

Charles

Let me know if it falls through. I am local and can pick up

I will Sam, the potential buyer is also local and is supposed to stop by on Saturday. If anything changes I will let you know.

If you have the time I am located in Lawerenceville and you are welcome to stop by anytime.

Charles

Back