What's new
What's new

for sale etiquette, disclose all other listings

cyanidekid

Titanium
I dont believe this is officially policy here, but I think it is incumbent upon any parties listing items for sale on this site to inform potential buyers up front that the item is also listed for sale on an alternate service/s such as craigslist or ebay, or even the bulletin board at the local food co-op, or that you offered it the guy you sold something to last march.

It is just the right thing to do, as many of us here consider a response to a for-sale post to be a (semi)binding commitment on our part, and not knowing if it is equally respected by the seller is simply not entirely above board.

the mutual respect and integrity of this community is pretty amazing, but it is based on certain prerequisites.

when you post an item without disclosing the other postings, and THEN tell the responders "well, I'd rather sell it to Joe down the block", or, "now that you say you will take it, I guess I'll tell you I listed it 4 other places, and IF they all fall through, I MIGHT sell it to you" it just isn't right.

I dont believe this is officially policy here, but I think it is incumbent upon any parties listing items for sale on this site to inform potential buyers up front that the item is also listed for sale on an alternate service/s such as craigslist or ebay, or even the bulletin board at the local food co-op, or that you offered it the guy you sold something to last march.

It is just the right thing to do, as many of us here consider a response to a for-sale post to be a (semi)binding commitment on our part, and not knowing if it is equally respected by the seller is simply not entirely above board.

the mutual respect and integrity of this community is pretty amazing, but it is based on certain prerequisites.

when you post an item without disclosing the other postings, and THEN tell the responders "well, I'd rather sell it to Joe down the block", or, "now that you say you will take it, I guess I'll tell you I listed it 4 other places, and IF they all fall through, I MIGHT sell it to you" it just isn't right.

You are asking too much.

An offer to sell is just the START to any transaction.

The buyer has money, big deal, we all have some.
The SELLER has the item. not such a big deal either, but that is the item under consideration. The ONLY item.

Get over it, your emotions do not make "blind sales" a contract until both parties agree on all the details.

Buying and selling should be enjoyable for both parties, and personal. Sales over the electronic air waves are cheap and often sleazy.

What are you going to do when "the item is not as described" Ask for an additional description AND your money back? Ask first! Feel GOOD about what you are doing and WHO you are dealing with.
A phone conversation is not a bad thing.

Just wanted to clear the air since it is obvious my FS NOS bison chuck ad was the catalyst for this post.

I read the rules, suggestions and policies thread, and there is no rule that says a post should mention if an item is offered for sale elsewhere.

That being said, I will be more than happy to voluntarily mention this in future ads.

Several members on here have had business dealings with me in the past, and know me well enough to know I'm a square deal guy.

For the record, I did apologize to the 2 people who replied to my post, and assured them theyd be updated if the buyer no shows today.

To be clear, I look at time stamps of replies, or incoming FB messages and go in order. Wether you choose to believe it or not, the guy driving an hour to get here today was the first person to message me.

At no point did I string anyone along, or imply an item was held for them, then decide to sell to another.
I AM A MAN OF MY WORD.

Good day gentlemen.

Steve Watroba.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

This is fucking ridiculous. Stick to Amazon.com

Gotta agree, this is BS. A sale is agreed upon when both parties agree to the sale. Being the first responder to a thread in no way guarantees you the item. I assume most people would advertise through multiple venues and sell to the first person to whom they reach a satisfactory agreement.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

When I put in an offer on my house, I had no idea if I was going to get the place, whether I was the first, last or other offer in the door.

Holding the expectation of "I posted first, therefore you're beholden to me" is absolutely ludicrous. I'll take it one farther and say "If I post something for sale, and you're the first one to say you want it, but I don't feel like dealing with you because I don't like your screen name, I have 100% authority to ignore you and give it to the next guy in line."

Don't like the seller having control of his own items up to the point that you remit payment? Then I suggest you find a new planet to live on.

Just wanted to clear the air since it is obvious my FS NOS bison chuck ad was the catalyst for this post.

I read the rules, suggestions and policies thread, and there is no rule that says a post should mention if an item is offered for sale elsewhere.

That being said, I will be more than happy to voluntarily mention this in future ads.

Several members on here have had business dealings with me in the past, and know me well enough to know I'm a square deal guy.

For the record, I did apologize to the 2 people who replied to my post, and assured them theyd be updated if the buyer no shows today.

To be clear, I look at time stamps of replies, or incoming FB messages and go in order. Wether you choose to believe it or not, the guy driving an hour to get here today was the first person to message me.

At no point did I string anyone along, or imply an item was held for them, then decide to sell to another.
I AM A MAN OF MY WORD.

Good day gentlemen.

Steve Watroba.

Hi Steve, I would like to be absolutely clear that you were NOT the target of that post. I apologize to you personally, as clearly you felt under attack, but just to repeat, it was'n directed at you.

perhaps I have used a bit of dramatization to make the point, but I really think we can aspire, at least, to a certain level of conduct here, and at least make that a general desirable way of transacting business.

...and if the seller does disclose (rather 'indicate') the item is listed elsewhere what would prospective buyer do differently about it?

fascinated by the vitriol!

look, its a courtesy, and a way of presenting yourself as a seller, no big deal, really, just note "also listed here". it's just like saying "I don't want to ship"

I'm not suggesting that there should always be some ironclad commitment to the first poster in response to all FS posts. that is clearly not what I was saying.

as to what one would do differently, if someone knows of multiple listings, the time factor is altered as to responding, for instance, and additional information may be included in the alternate posts that the buyer would find informative.

Thank you for clarifying that it wasn't my post for the bison chuck that compelled you to write this thread.

That explains why people are taking issue with things I supposedly did that never happened. I apologize for jumping to the conclusion your post was directed at me. Its just the timing, and similarities are undeniable.

In fact, posts in this thread, like rob f's link to my post, and offers by others to sell other bison chucks clearly indicate the general concensus is that I'm the asshole!

Bah ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Hi Steve, I would like to be absolutely clear that you were NOT the target of that post. I apologize to you personally, as clearly you felt under attack, but just to repeat, it was'n directed at you.

perhaps I have used a bit of dramatization to make the point, but I really think we can aspire, at least, to a certain level of conduct here, and at least make that a general desirable way of transacting business.

In fact, posts in this thread, like rob f's link to my post, and offers by others to sell other bison chucks clearly indicate the general concensus is that I'm the asshole!

Bah ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Nobody is acusing you of anything, YOU, and only you said that your post was the catalyst for this:
We are not privy to any private messages that COULD have been sent between potetial buyers and yourself.

Another thing (unrelated to this) that is propper sales etiqute as a buyer is to post interest in the thread before sending a PM so all interested can see if others are in line to purchase said items. The good sellers say the order is assigned in the order they are posted in the thread.

clearly indicate the general concensus is that I'm the asshole!

That's that 'Community' feeling cyanide was posting about.

I've been amazed how some have tried to jump in line by PM and email on something that is offered when I post something to sell. More of that 'community'.

It's certainly disappointing to miss a good buy, but that's just it. There are certainly more sellers and items to buy.

I don't believe for one second Steve set out to mislead anyone. It was a good buy, several people wanted it. He chose who he felt responded the quickest, that's his prerogative, end of story.
For the peanut gallery intent on agitating how about just act like an adult and leave well enough alone without hassling someone over something you weren't buying in the first place.

Thank you for clarifying that it wasn't my post for the bison chuck that compelled you to write this thread.

That explains why people are taking issue with things I supposedly did that never happened. I apologize for jumping to the conclusion your post was directed at me. Its just the timing, and similarities are undeniable.

Bah ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Wear it like a badge of honor as it seems to be at least a partial requirement for survival on the board. ;)

disclosure: The wife calls me that all the time (mostly "lovingly" but...) and I'm sure I'm called worse by others.

-Ron

I don't understand the problem, did he get paid and then changed his mind. What about the guy that sold the same thing to 2 different members and disappeared after collecting the money and never delivered to either? I didn't see anyone who lived in his area send a leg breaker after him to keep the forums integrity intact. I buy and sell a lot of item (mostly here) and have had some success and some failures but only the one instance that was bad.
What about the guy that changes his mind after saying he wants an item for whatever reason; I may not like it but still think it is his option.

I look at the for sale section as an opportunity for both parties. It is however still business and any buyer or seller should know that a deal is only pending until both parties are satisfied.
Dan

Back