What's new
What's new

For Sale - Lathe Steady Rest (to be identified)

M.B. Naegle

Diamond
This one came with my 16" Hendey, but doesn't fit. I thought about adapting it to our 15" Clausing but if someone can identify it, I'd rather pass it on to a proper home and find a proper 15" Clausing steady.

20190313_093011.jpg
20190313_092959.jpg
20190313_093025.jpg
20190313_093112.jpg
20190313_093123.jpg

Depending how your lathe measures, I'm thinking this is somewhere between a 14" and 16" swing. The bottom is pretty rusty and the flat way particularly will likely need to have some material grafted on to remedy the pitting, but a good bit of sand-blasting and oil will likely put it back into service. I don't have the clamp plate or bolt, but those are easy to fab.

There was also an extra knob/handle with my Hendey that didn't belong to it, but given the paint and condition, I'd bet came off of the same lathe as this steady. I'll post a picture of it too and see if that helps identify the application.

I'm thinking $100 plus shipping? Shoot me an offer. It's available for local pick-up in Conroe Texas (north Houston), but if it ships, I'll take it apart to make it smaller and secure it in a wood lined box so it survives the trip.

This one came with my 16" Hendey, but doesn't fit. I thought about adapting it to our 15" Clausing but if someone can identify it, I'd rather pass it on to a proper home and find a proper 15" Clausing steady.

View attachment 252222
View attachment 252223
View attachment 252224
View attachment 252225
View attachment 252226

Depending how your lathe measures, I'm thinking this is somewhere between a 14" and 16" swing. The bottom is pretty rusty and the flat way particularly will likely need to have some material grafted on to remedy the pitting, but a good bit of sand-blasting and oil will likely put it back into service. I don't have the clamp plate or bolt, but those are easy to fab.

There was also an extra knob/handle with my Hendey that didn't belong to it, but given the paint and condition, I'd bet came off of the same lathe as this steady. I'll post a picture of it too and see if that helps identify the application.

I'm thinking $100 plus shipping? Shoot me an offer. It's available for local pick-up in Conroe Texas (north Houston), but if it ships, I'll take it apart to make it smaller and secure it in a wood lined box so it survives the trip.
Looks a lot like one I took of an early 16" cone head we scrapped.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

I keep thinking Monarch, but all the one's I see in my search's I think are newer.

It's height would work with my 16" Hendey, but the base is way to short for my Hendey's birthing-hip ways, and I already have 2 Hendey steadys (don't look like this one).

I keep thinking Monarch, but all the one's I see in my search's I think are newer.

It's height would work with my 16" Hendey, but the base is way to short for my Hendey's birthing-hip ways, and I already have 2 Hendey steadys (don't look like this one).
Oops, I forgot to say it was a South bend, cone head.

South Bend is a good possibility. It has the right overall shape, but I haven't seen one with the long set screw bosses like this one.

The handle could be a South bend back gear tumbler. Our 1940's Heavy 10 has a different shape to the hand-end.

South Bend is a good possibility. It has the right overall shape, but I haven't seen one with the long set screw bosses like this one.

The handle could be a South bend back gear tumbler. Our 1940's Heavy 10 has a different shape to the hand-end.
Well, I wish to retract my previous guess of south bend. I dug out the one I saved off the 16" SB conehead and it looks different. Here are pics of it.
811cc49b9bb0e41557fdf78c9bdc60e6.jpg
5fbb2eb474ce6025b5e88c55b5d38cc7.jpg

Back