For Sale - Lathe Steady Rest (to be identified)
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default For Sale - Lathe Steady Rest (to be identified)

This one came with my 16" Hendey, but doesn't fit. I thought about adapting it to our 15" Clausing but if someone can identify it, I'd rather pass it on to a proper home and find a proper 15" Clausing steady.

20190313_093011.jpg
    20190313_092959.jpg
    20190313_093025.jpg
    20190313_093112.jpg
    20190313_093123.jpg

Depending how your lathe measures, I'm thinking this is somewhere between a 14" and 16" swing. The bottom is pretty rusty and the flat way particularly will likely need to have some material grafted on to remedy the pitting, but a good bit of sand-blasting and oil will likely put it back into service. I don't have the clamp plate or bolt, but those are easy to fab.

There was also an extra knob/handle with my Hendey that didn't belong to it, but given the paint and condition, I'd bet came off of the same lathe as this steady. I'll post a picture of it too and see if that helps identify the application.

I'm thinking $100 plus shipping? Shoot me an offer. It's available for local pick-up in Conroe Texas (north Houston), but if it ships, I'll take it apart to make it smaller and secure it in a wood lined box so it survives the trip.

2. Likes stevewatr liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

20190313_095250.jpg
    Here's the handle. The hole is 3/4" round. It looks like it might be a back-gear tumbler (?). It's up for grabs too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    This one came with my 16" Hendey, but doesn't fit. I thought about adapting it to our 15" Clausing but if someone can identify it, I'd rather pass it on to a proper home and find a proper 15" Clausing steady.

20190313_093011.jpg
    20190313_092959.jpg
    20190313_093025.jpg
    20190313_093112.jpg
    20190313_093123.jpg

Depending how your lathe measures, I'm thinking this is somewhere between a 14" and 16" swing. The bottom is pretty rusty and the flat way particularly will likely need to have some material grafted on to remedy the pitting, but a good bit of sand-blasting and oil will likely put it back into service. I don't have the clamp plate or bolt, but those are easy to fab.

There was also an extra knob/handle with my Hendey that didn't belong to it, but given the paint and condition, I'd bet came off of the same lathe as this steady. I'll post a picture of it too and see if that helps identify the application.

I'm thinking $100 plus shipping? Shoot me an offer. It's available for local pick-up in Conroe Texas (north Houston), but if it ships, I'll take it apart to make it smaller and secure it in a wood lined box so it survives the trip.
    Looks a lot like one I took of an early 16" cone head we scrapped.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I keep thinking Monarch, but all the one's I see in my search's I think are newer.

It's height would work with my 16" Hendey, but the base is way to short for my Hendey's birthing-hip ways, and I already have 2 Hendey steadys (don't look like this one).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if it could be a better match for my Axelson.... Seems it is almost impossible to find one... Can I try it out ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I keep thinking Monarch, but all the one's I see in my search's I think are newer.

It's height would work with my 16" Hendey, but the base is way to short for my Hendey's birthing-hip ways, and I already have 2 Hendey steadys (don't look like this one).
    Oops, I forgot to say it was a South bend, cone head.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks quite a lot like the 90 year old laying under lathe here

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/...Bltn_No.16.pdf

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

South Bend is a good possibility. It has the right overall shape, but I haven't seen one with the long set screw bosses like this one.

The handle could be a South bend back gear tumbler. Our 1940's Heavy 10 has a different shape to the hand-end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

South Bend is a good possibility. It has the right overall shape, but I haven't seen one with the long set screw bosses like this one.

The handle could be a South bend back gear tumbler. Our 1940's Heavy 10 has a different shape to the hand-end.
    Well, I wish to retract my previous guess of south bend. I dug out the one I saved off the 16" SB conehead and it looks different. Here are pics of it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's the closest I've seen so far. It's a little different but very close.