Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ignore... I vote for sending a small quantity of sand.

2. Likes Matt_Maguire liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post
    Top sticky (with "Rules" in the title). Not that hard to find. Rule number 5 concerns people who only post here to sell.

Rules and suggestions, READ BEFORE POSTING

Larry
    Oh I thought you were talking about using the eBay picture lol...derp

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like you also need to verify the one he is complaining about, and wishing to return, is actually the same one you sent him. Since he seems to have an inventory...

Seller beware.

5. Likes digger doug, Glug, jr81452 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
    Sounds like you also need to verify the one he is complaining about, and wishing to return, is actually the same one you sent him. Since he seems to have an inventory...

Seller beware.
    Or that a part wasn't removed or swapped out...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    Oh I thought you were talking about using the eBay picture lol...derp
    That doesn't really need a written rule eh ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    That doesn't really need a written rule eh ?
    Doesn't everything these days?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mold God View Post
    the buyer wants me to take it back because it does not have a cap of some sort to cover some of the mechanicals. He says.
    Did I miss where he sent a photo of the missing cap and where you posted that photo in this thread? Right now we/you are supposed to guess about the specifics of the dispute. I did some searches but couldn't figure out this cap. Is it a fancy grub screw to keep debris out of the backside of the adjusting screw bore? I can't imagine the buyer making a claim but not providing an example photo of the missing part.

Also missing is how much time passed between when he received the item and when he complained it isn't complete. That's important.

Quote Originally Posted by rklopp View Post
    If your pictures showed it without said cap, and the buyer did not ask, you have a leg to stand on and the buyer does not.
    Agree. But if the photos did not show that a part was missing, the buyer may have a legitimate beef. Unless it is a nonsense part - like a plastic dust cap used only during original packaging.

In general - I believe part of the motivation for requiring a long history of on-topic posts in order to sell - is that we hope sellers here are reputable and we don't need to ask for a 6 sided view of photos. And also, that if one of the photos is blurry we don't need to wonder whether it is hiding something. A reasonable inspection and return policy makes it easier to trust a seller. Lots of pictures do protect the seller from BS.

Also, the reason why many want to sell here is they get to avoid the ebay BS. We want to sell to machinists, not people who are merely flipping on ebay to make a buck. F that.

Some forums have a standard sticky sales policy, and sellers indicate in their posting whether they are selling under the terms of that policy. It usually includes a reasonable inspection time and a return policy, etc.

10. Likes MichaelP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

People that buy used tooling for pennies on the dollar of new cost and expect new piss me off. Most guys are pretty realistic but once in awhile you run across a guy that claims to be making space shuttle parts on his 70 year old Monarch or Bridgeport etc. I have been around long enough to avoid selling to them. My expartner had a favorite saying when customer was complaining about the condition of a used machine. "You are only a virgin once"
    Bob
    Bob

12. Likes jr81452 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok , you never shows the one odd part of the tool in the 3 pictures you posted . I didn’t not ask for some of the money back . I just wanted to return it . Why not show the odd part of the tool ? If some thing looks odd you should of showed a picture of it . Here the picture he for got to put up . But in any case I’m just going to keep it . Did realize wanting to return some thing I bought would be a big ordeal .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f90fedaf-455c-4d5a-a349-1ae42f5f7378.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JRivera View Post
    Ok , you never shows the one odd part of the tool in the 3 pictures you posted . I didn’t not ask for some of the money back . I just wanted to return it . Why not show the odd part of the tool ? If some thing looks odd you should of showed a picture of it . Here the picture he for got to put up . But in any case I’m just going to keep it . Did realize wanting to return some thing I bought would be a big ordeal .
    Any way you could get that pic a little more blurry?

15. Likes digger doug, Dualkit, jr81452 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't find it blurry, just really small. So it looks like the area of concern is a plug of some kind that keeps swarf out of the backside adjusting threads.

I found another boring head of the same apparent model - 3F-HB - but the backside hole looks different. It is very small and easily plugged. But the pic above shows a very large backside hole that is not easily plugged and which would allow chips to jam up the threads. Are there different versions?

A 1" missing chip shield cap would be something that should be mentioned in the ad.

CRITERION AUTOMATIC BORING & FACING HEAD - 3F-HB - R8 SHANK - BRIDGEPORT SHANK | eBay

Here is the original for sale ad, I don't think it has been linked here.

Criterion 3F-HB attachment

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I must be missing something again. The missing part appears to be a plug that a two bit hack with a $500 beater lathe could make in a couple minutes out of 25 cents worth of plastic. I see no where in the original ad where the OP claims to have a new, unused pristine boring head for sale. Even if the buyer can't make that plug, pretty sure he could get one made for the $40 he beat the guy down on price. Every once in a while a person will run into a PITA buyer on here.

I put a few machines up for sale here about 10 or so years ago when I was converting over to job shop from OEM. I was having a fire sale to move things along quickly. I had a PC based running 10 x 54 CNC Mill listed for $1500. I had more than one person want to send a tech out at my expense to write up an inspection report on the machine. Had some other knucklehead ask if it would hold .0001s. People were acting like there was an extra zero on the price. I took it off of here and put it on Craigslist. It sold the first day at asking price.

18. Likes digger doug, Mud, Mold God liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems to be the item was sold "far below market" and with ample pictures for which the buyer could determine the state of the item. Perhaps offer to fabricate a plug for him for $900. That should bring up the fair market value to around his $1200 asking price on ebay. Just silly

20. Likes Dualkit, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Better photo , just saying when stuff like this itís need to be pointed out regardless of who or how much .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Or that a part wasn't removed or swapped out...
    Interesting you should comment on that.

I sent an email stating that he had not given any evidence that it did not function and that this group had said there was no cap to be had. He sent me photos - of a different (and damaged) boring head - and put up a small stink that any missing part should be enough to return. Then he may have realized that he was trying to return the wrong one and sent another email saying it was too much hassle, he would keep it.

Problem solved. Thanks, everyone!

Update, just saw the photo with cap. make sense, but mine did not have one. The others I have (bought new) have no such plug, nor any way to install one. Thanks for the extra info.

23. Likes jr81452 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad that's settled. It's a good lesson, though - I'm going to be listing a used Haas 40 taper spindle for sale tomorrow, and I'm going to be extra careful to spell out every defect and blemish I can find to help prevent any uncertainty. I even tested and pulled the drawbar to check it and the spindle interior. Better to overshare than not...

25. Likes jr81452 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Based on what I can see now, the buyer had a point when he requested the return. The obviously questionable area wasn't shown on the photos, and I strongly suspect it was done deliberately. PM is not a place to pull something like this, IMO. And it doesn't matter if the head is functional or not or how much it costs.

27. Likes stevewatr liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Really your going to act like I didnít email you right when I got it ? Asking if there was some sort of cap or something that you forgot to send . Or the fact that you didnít take a picture of the other side ? Fishy , I donít even care about the money now . Itís the fact your trying to make it seem like Iíd do some BS like that .

And for the record here the picture I sent him . As you can tell these two heads are not the same .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cc607b80-fe2c-4679-b97f-4b288fcf5860.jpg   b062822e-eb33-4916-adcb-45eaebedfa4a.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is good to remember that a buyer can ask a seller for additional information, pictures or even video of a product they want to buy.

If anyone buys something that's for sale they need to remember that they're part of the willing seller/willing buyer dynamic, and have a responsibility to understand what they're getting. In this case, a picture view of one side was missing - it could have been asked for before the sale was completed.

30. Likes jr81452 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What part of the fact one can make this missing part quick and easy and the item sold for a low price are people missing? Looks like we have a few people in here expecting pristine for 25 cents on the dollar or so. Looks like some of the guys who wanted my $1500 CNC Mill to hold .0001s are still around. A reasonable person adjusts their expectations according to price.

32. Likes jr81452 liked this post