What's new
What's new

Seeking #14 Jarno taper tooling

Guzz

Plastic
Hello all,

I'm looking for #14 Jarno taper tooling to fit the spindle of my old Hanya lathe. A Morse taper adapter would be best but would also consider a dead center or even a busted reamer if the taper is still clean.

Thanks.

Still seeking #14 Jarno.

5 Morse is ALSO 1.750" at big end. Maybe it is 5 MT?

Johnoder,

I thought it was a #5MT and they do fit somewhat but they seat too deeply in the headstock to be right and the #5 taper is so deep that I can't check it for rocking. The lathe came with one pretty rough taper (that doesn't appear to be hand made) that came with the lathe that fits better than the new #5MT I have. It measures:

45.5mm (1.79")at the big end, 41.6mm (1.61") at the small end over 95mm (3.74") from big end to small end. I thought this taper most closely resembles a short version of a #14 Jarno Taper- but I may well be wrong-

It is an older gear head Hanya Lathe(a Japanese company that appears to be defunct)- not sure of the year but probably from the mid to late 1950's or early 60's judging from the two photos of other Hanya lathes I found online. The lathe spindle bore has a 41mm (1.61") through hole. I haven't been able to find any documentation on this lathe:confused:. It came out of a shop that appeared to use it for spinning and general fabrication of food preparation machinery and cooking implements.

G.

I have found measuring taper like this is always difficult to do accurately.
If the rough turned taper piece fits the bore, place it on a sine plate, move up the plate until the top surface of the taper is dead even end to end. Now see what is the spacing of the bar to get it level. Jarno is .600" per foot taper, multiply the result of the spacer blocks by 2.4, that should equal .600". If not the taper is not Jarno.

These assumes a 5 inch sine plate and Imperial gage blocks, if metric you know whart to do.

Still seeking a #14 Jarno center or...

I have found measuring taper like this is always difficult to do accurately.
If the rough turned taper piece fits the bore, place it on a sine plate, move up the plate until the top surface of the taper is dead even end to end. Now see what is the spacing of the bar to get it level. Jarno is .600" per foot taper, multiply the result of the spacer blocks by 2.4, that should equal .600". If not the taper is not Jarno.

These assumes a 5 inch sine plate and Imperial gage blocks, if metric you know whart to do.

Thanks for the instructions Tom.

I agree that measuring taper like this is difficult!

Unfortunately I'm still tooling up and I neither have a sine plate, nor gauge blocks! I can't believe that this lathe, likely made in the 1950's, has a proprietary spindle taper. This is especially unlikely because at this time Japan was under U.S. occupation... They could have been working from a pre-war design, but I find this unlikely knowing how the Japanese like to keep up to their technology current.

I think I'll try and turn a couple of gauges that match a Jarno #14 taper big end OD and small end OD and then more accurately measure the distance between them. That should tell me if I'm really dealing with a Jarno taper or something else.

G.

Contact these people:

Home

They may well have the specs on your machine. They have been making adapters like you seek for a long, long time.

A Jarno #14 taper is 7" long, Your spindle inside taper is likely half that distance. If you have a DRO on the lathe or a mill, use that to measure the taper of the drill that you have that fits your spindle. If a lathe, chuck the fluted end in the lathe, touch off a tool on one end move the carriage, say 3" touch off at that point, the difference will be .150" if a Jarno.
If a mill, block the drill shank so it is flat against the table, use a DI to touch a point on the shank, move the table an exact amount, measure at that point.

Jarno is .050" per inch taper.

I have Jarno #14 centers, but they are in storage 4 hours away. You are in Japan? I don't think flat rate priority mail boxes go there.

2579ee21657b7e35fef2.jpg

2579ee21657b7e35fef2_2.jpg

I’m pretty sure I have some of that size
I have some that are adapters from jarno to b&s also
Just not sure which sizes
Do you just want one piece, or what ever is here?

Johnoder,

It is an older gear head Hanya Lathe(a Japanese company that appears to be defunct)- not sure of the year but probably from the mid to late 1950's or early 60's judging from the two photos of other Hanya lathes I found online. The lathe spindle bore has a 41mm (1.61") through hole. I haven't been able to find any documentation on this lathe:confused:. It came out of a shop that appeared to use it for spinning and general fabrication of food preparation machinery and cooking implements.

G.

How about some photos??

I found two dead centers that are 14 jarno
The taper on these two are 7 and 7-1/8” long
Small end 1.450, big end 1.710
Dead center one is ground right after taper
Number two is roughly 7” longer and one half is ground flat
I know there are more here, some of which are adapters to either brown and sharpe, or Morse taper
Unfortunately, I cannot get to them at the moment
They are in a 21 rotating shelf carousel, that is currently down for repairs

Back