What's new
What's new

Seneca Falls Star No. 30 parts

G-ManBart

Aluminum
I hope this isn't considered too old/antique to be posted her...mods, feel free to move/delete as I wasn't sure where that line is drawn.

Long story short, this lathe was dropped during movement. The carriage and screw cutting gearbox enclosure seemed to take the brunt of the fall, but there was other damage. The headstock still rotates smoothly, but the lever to engage forward/N/reverse is stuck.

It had a Model A transmission that I have pulled since the pulley was broken on it and the fall moved the transmission mount so it was no longer engaging with the gear driving the headstock.

The tailstock survived just fine (not pictured, but I can take pics) and I have what I think is a pretty complete set of screw cutting gears for it). Also, the door to the gearbox looks okay...I'll get a pic of that as well. I might have a few other parts that came with it, but I'd have to look through the box. The compound rest seemed to escape damage and moves smoothly. The carriage binds a bit, but I think that may actually be the bent handles rubbing on the housing...I have to look into that some more. The lead screw had pulled out of the housing on the end, but I don't think it's actually damaged or bent (droops a bit while unsupported with the gears on the end), and the threads looked decent. The bed and ways look okay to me.

I'm beyond furious with myself for such a stupid mistake (yes, I know better and have moved many heavy things in the past) so I'd just like to see whatever parts can be used go to get other machines back in action.

Let me know if there's something you need and I'll try to get pictures and figure out a price which will mostly just be shipping and enough to make it worth the trip to the post office/Fedex. I don't even know what an eBay price would be for any of these, but cut it in half, or more. I'd rather sell the parts cheap than have them go to scrap.

IMG_7903.jpgIMG_7902.jpgIMG_7899.jpgIMG_7900.jpgIMG_7901.jpg

Let me know if there's something you need and I'll try to get pictures and figure out a price which will mostly just be shipping and enough to make it worth the trip to the post office/Fedex. I don't even know what an eBay price would be for any of these, but cut it in half, or more. I'd rather sell the parts cheap than have them go to scrap.

If still available I am interested in the cross slide, the crossfeed screw and bushing/handle, and complete compound assembly. I want to upgrade my 9" SF machine which has no
compound slide. I would not want to have you part these out however if they would not fit my machine.

The dovetail crossfeed ways on my machine are about 1.850 inch wide at the top, and 1.350 inch wide at the root. If the slide ways on your machine are close
to that the assembly might fit easily.

Thanks - Jim

I have a horrible thing to say....

Strip everything off till the bed and legs are left...
Take pictures and put it on craigslist, facebook marketplace or where ever the moneyed people in your area shop.

Legs attached to beds have several hundreds of dollars in value alone....

There I have said it.... and Im ashamed to have said it.

I have a horrible thing to say....

Strip everything off till the bed and legs are left...
Take pictures and put it on craigslist, facebook marketplace or where ever the moneyed people in your area shop.

Legs attached to beds have several hundreds of dollars in value alone....

There I have said it.... and Im ashamed to have said it.

Made me recall this:

Attachments

• GaryLarson-Hand-that-fed-me.jpg
    GaryLarson-Hand-that-fed-me.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 66

Back