What's new
What's new

Shills for HGR auctions on Ebay.

Toms Wheels

Titanium
Ebay, I bid on some bearings (291162862776) and was outbid. So I look at the winning buyers feed back.I was surprised to see that this bidder in the last 30 days, did 100% of his bids on HGR site, that totalled over 500 bids.

Thats a lot of bids so after looking at other items a second bidder comes up 700 bids in 30 days 89% with HGR, and a third bidder 2000 bids 92% with HGR. The feed back for HGR in last 30 days was about 1600. So they do some business but not that much as a lot of items go to the shills.

Anyone here have suspicions of HGR or others. Ebay does not make it easy to report after a sale that a shill may be involved, but I did the time to report them.

Ebay states that they will not tell you of an outcome to whatever they do, but if suspended we would know. I would not hold my breath waiting for an answer.

There are people that will only buy from one company. I new a bonehead that was convinced that anyone you bought from on ebay would rip you off %100 of the time. The only place he would buy from was reliable tool. Tried explaining the paypal system and ebays feedback system but he would hear nothing of it.

Side note. Local guy and his buddy came to my shop to buy some machines. Mentioned that they got booted from ebay for 30 days and had to do some online tutorial about what shilling is why they should not do it or ebay would not let them back on. Apparently they bid on eachothers stuff often and not many others.

Who cares?

Bid what you want to pay, and nothing more.

I did that this AM. I bid 5.01 on a CAT40 indexable cutter. Didn't win it...oh well.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. Who cares? I care, I care a lot. I do bid what I am willing to pay, but I want to pay $0.50 more than the second highest real bidder is willing to pay. I have seen the shill crap double the price the eventual winner had to pay.

CarlBoyd

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. Who cares? I care, I care a lot. I do bid what I am willing to pay, but I want to pay $0.50 more than the second highest real bidder is willing to pay. I have seen the shill crap double the price the eventual winner had to pay.
CarlBoyd

Had to pay? Someone forced him to pay more than he should have?

"Ebay does not make it easy to report after a sale that a shill may be involved..."

Shilling?

On Ebay?

Cannot believe that, I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED I say.

(your winnings sir. Oh, thank you very much)

best to take the emotion and other sentiments out of it as often as possible. Just bid the most you want to pay and move on if you don't win. Shilling won't ever stop and eBay isn't the only place shilling is happening. What I find interesting are most of second chance offers by those playing shilling games once auction is over and shilling didn't give the results they were looking for.

Use a sniping program, bid once just before the auction closes. Can't run up the prices that way, bid what you want to pay and no more. Win some lose some, don't play the bidding war, that's how you spend way too much.

Had to pay? Someone forced him to pay more than he should have?
Yes that is exactly what happened. Even if the eventual high bidder gets the item for less then they were willing to pay. the involvement of a shill forced the high bidder to pay more then he should have if he only had to outbid a legitimate 2nd bidder. The high bidder was in fact defrauded by the seller

Well, first of all, Ebay does take shilling seriously...how do I know? My dad is no longer allowed to buy stuff from me on Ebay. Neither are a couple of my friends. Seems that they logged in after I logged in, same IP address, same username, etc.

But really, I'm still at, bid what you want to pay...use a sniping program. If you didn't bid high enough and they "won" with their shill, they've still got to re sell the item.

I honestly highly doubt HGR is shilling. If you've never been there....the place barely has it together enough to conduct day to day business, let alone goin all rogue and trying to play the system. Meaning, what happens to the inventory when the shil fails? They get truckloads of shit in on a daily basis, they don't have time to take something from the end of the line back to the beginning. HGR is built on the law of averages...are their crooked things that happen? Yes...I'm sure there are...but you have to have one hell of an organized system for crooked to work.

I also highly doubt HGR is shilling. When I used to have time, I'd look at every single item they'd put up and bid low on any sort of part I think I might need in the next five years or so. I've never seen an item I lost out on resurface or get a second chance offer. there was one time I won something, they said they couldn't find it, and then I saw it go up for auction again later but I really think it was an honest mistake on their part.

Bidding on precision bearings is fierce on HGR. Out of all the dozens of times I put in low bids just to have a set around, I lucked out only once on one of the smaller sizes. If you really need a set you have to bid close to what other sellers list them for in BIN sales. If you are lucky you might get a set for about half the typical asking price.

The guys buying those bearings are re-listing them with near new prices. And some are using the same pictures, too! You would think they would stop and let others bid and buy. They haven't. I've been watching this for about six years now. And the ones I've bought the bid was higher than I really wanted to pay, but I got what I wanted!

Does shill bidding (and winning the auction) really make sense? The seller needs to pay ebay a percentage of the winning auction value, so if their shill bidder "wins" the auction, the seller is out a significant portion of money.

Now, shill bidding and LOSING the auction makes sense from the sellers perspective, so that's a different story.

If they win the auction, that's not the definition of shilling, is it?

That's winning the auction.

Those bidders that post several separate bids and then drop out? Perhaps that is shilling.

Those who make one specific bid, and let ebay's automated bidding do the work, and then drop out? That's just what I and snowman do; that's our price, and that's the limit.

Only ebay has the data to make judgement, and that data is IP addresses, proximity, and patterns of bidding on one specific seller's items, but never winning.

ebay may have the techniques down to a science, but detecting shills does seem like an art.

For the most part, unless they are buying time on another server and running their shill conspiracy through that. It's probably those fuckers who are behind the 911 conspiracy....or the goddamn Russian, still fighting the cold war by sending old codger machinists blood pressure through the roof.

Goddamn communism anyway

CarlBoyd

Originally Posted by snowman
Who cares?

Bid what you want to pay, and nothing more.

I did that this AM. I bid 5.01 on a CAT40 indexable cutter. Didn't win it...oh well.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxx

How is this any diferent than the seller setting a min price?

You cheepskates want what a $100 tool for $5.01 ??? did I say cheeepskate.... yeah, just wat to make it clear....

THE SELLER WANTS a REASONABLE price.... an wont sell it to CHEEEEEEEEEEEPSKATES

"THE SELLER WANTS a REASONABLE price.... an wont sell it to CHEEEEEEEEEEEPSKATES "

Huh, ebay just eliminated the reserve option for sellers. Go figure.
Haven't been on that in years. Too many shills.

Back