What's new
What's new

Shop built layout squares

Shadon

Hot Rolled
As seen here ---> http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/handy-little-layout-squares-278224/

I promised to make some available for those interested, I would like to have preorder commitments now, but I dont want your money till they ship.

Sizes: All the squares are nominal size pre-machining, available in 1" / 2" / 3" All pairs are left / right configuration. All squares are 90* / 45* configuration.

I came up with a price schedule that I believe is fair. Shipping is quoted for Con US only.

Single square (any size) = 25.00 + 6.00 USPS
Pair of mirror image squares (any size) = 45.00 + 6.00 USPS
Set of 3 (one of each size) = 65.00 + 6.00 USPS
Full set of 6 (3 pairs) = 130.00 + 6.00 USPS

While the 1" are very small and only used for the tiniest of work, the 2" has turned into my "go to" set, anything beyond 3" you might as well get a standard "L" type square. I am still working on the sizing of the 60* / 30* sets, so not available yet.

Please respond here with the quantity and size you would like and I will build to suit.

Thank you.

Last edited:
"Shipping is quoted for Con US only."

Flat rate is good to any US domestic destination, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, APO and others.

Larry

Hello Shadon,

Sign me up for a mirror set in the 2"

Thanks much,

Thomas

Edit:
Should your listing above read:

"Full set of three pairs..."?

"Pair of mirror image squares (any size) = 45.00 + 6.00 USPS"

I'd like a pair of 2" mirror image. (and I'd like them left "in the white" not blackened, if that's no big deal for you)

When you get the 60/30s ready I'll probably want those too.

Thanks for doing this.

Exactly how square are these squares? If it's below .0005", sign me up for a set of 3 (one of each size).

Thats a great question, Just went out and measured a few:
Parallelism from inner fence to outer square = .0008
True 45* = .0009
True 90* = .0008

So to answer your question, no, I am not holding to a half thou :)

I'd like to take a quick moment to thank everyone for the responses and most of all for the PM's with the suggestions on how to improve my grinding accuracy, it truly is appreciated. I never dreamed anything like this would be such a hit, but I can remember using a full size framing square trying to scribe some tiny sheet metal pieces and saying to myself (out loud) "I wish I had a miniature one of these" .... so here we are .... Also thanks for the encouragement on moving forward with this.

I have all of the above posts written down with your orders, the material is on order and should have something ready for you in the next week or so.

Thank you everybody!

I'd like to take a quick moment to thank everyone for the responses and most of all for the PM's with the suggestions on how to improve my grinding accuracy, it truly is appreciated. I never dreamed anything like this would be such a hit, but I can remember using a full size framing square trying to scribe some tiny sheet metal pieces and saying to myself (out loud) "I wish I had a miniature one of these" .... so here we are .... Also thanks for the encouragement on moving forward with this.

I have all of the above posts written down with your orders, the material is on order and should have something ready for you in the next week or so.

Thank you everybody!

as you put together the grinding suggestions you have received I would appreciate reading about this perhaps on the abrasive forum. There may be some useful nuggets here.
Denis

Back