What's new
What's new

small, light weight hoist. perfect for rotab

wheelieking71

Diamond
A while back I posted a pic on here where the hoist I use for my 4th axis rotary was visible.
There were a couple guys interested in it. For whatever reason, I never posted any info, sorry.
I figured since the guy quit making them, I had the last one. What was the point.
Well, I was talking to him the other day, and I learned that he has enough of the frame-work parts to build three of them sitting on a shelf.
What these are is a hoist for semi-conductor clean-room guys that have to travel a lot. It is designed to be light weight.
And, able to be broken down, and carried in a luggage bag on a plane.
It just so happens, that it works great for not only installing a rotab in a mill, but also for storing the rotab.
Mine has been hanging on there for years.

Here are a couple pics:

what he doesn't have is any hardware, rollers/casters, pins, cable rollers, or anything. Just the basic aluminum framework is there.

He wants $200 for each kit. You could probably build something cheaper. He is kinda proud of them.
But, he asked me if I knew anybody that would buy them. I told him I would put the info out there in the only place I knew that anybody might want one.

So that is what this is. I will middle man for him. But, I have a feeling my job is done, LOL.

Does the $200 include the welded subassemblies? If so, I'd be interested in one of the kits. Any idea of weight, and what the shipping-ready dimensions would be?

Thanks for posting about this!

Did he specify a rated capacity for the frame? I don't see any decals on yours.

What are the X-Y over all dimensions of the base w/battery support?

Thanks for posting.

Does the $200 include the welded subassemblies? If so, I'd be interested in one of the kits. Any idea of weight, and what the shipping-ready dimensions would be?

Thanks for posting about this!

That is all he has are the welded assemblies. I will try and round up everything and inventory it for myself. To get you guys some more info.
I didn't figger anybody would bite? LOL

Did he specify a rated capacity for the frame? I don't see any decals on yours.

What are the X-Y over all dimensions of the base w/battery support?

Thanks for posting.

I think he mentioned he had it approved for 500lbs at one point. I am sure he would not be interested in digging up any old documentation though.
Dimensions of the base: 32" wide 39" long. Not sure if he has any more battery trays.

That is pretty cool!
Do you think it would handle a 200lb unit?

I wouldn't trust 200lbs on it... My dad made it up awhile ago. That vertical rod is only 1" dia I think, but I imagine if you beefed it up some it would take a big load. Only thing is, it uses the z axis to raise and lower but I guess 200lbs isn't much for the servo? I dunno I'll get some pics and or video for u guys to see.

I wouldn't trust 200lbs on it... My dad made it up awhile ago. That vertical rod is only 1" dia I think, but I imagine if you beefed it up some it would take a big load. Only thing is, it uses the z axis to raise and lower but I guess 200lbs isn't much for the servo? I dunno I'll get some pics and or video for u guys to see.

Hmmm on second thought you would definitely have to get a beefier connection to the side of the z axis column (not sure if that's correct terms??) as ours is, it's only being held up by the sheet metal that's bent outward that rides in the guide behind the telescoping covers.

Here's some more pictures of ours.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458666850.276038.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1458666875.642310.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1458666906.409765.jpg

Notice there is a pin above the top mount holding everything up while it gets swung around.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458667343.246375.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1458667372.927594.jpg

When you have the 4th sitting above your vise, you swing this arm thing over and lock it above the angle bracket toward the back of the enclosure that rides inside the cover guides. Then raise z axis til it picks up the whole thing and remove pin so you can lower the 4th axis onto the vise. Now as you can see in the pictures, it's easy to forget the arm over the angle bracket resulting in a very loud noise and some bent stuff :/ (it wasn't me...) not a big deal to bend back tho.

I didn't get dummy plugs with my used mill so I can't unplug the 4th. I just hung it here until I figured something else out but 3 years later and I have decided I like it. I just need to get a small winch to replace the rope and pulley. McMaster has one rated to 800 lbs for $60.

hanger.jpg

Back