What's new
What's new

South Bend Heavy 10 Bull Gear needed

dizzolve

Plastic
I recently bought a pretty nice Heavy 10 but the Bull Gear has a few teeth that have broken off. Whoever repaired it decided to screw 3 bolts along the tooth line then grinded it down to at least keep it's timing but I fear the torque of back gear will eventually break these off.

The previous owner said he never used back gear so it's not like this 'repair' has been tried and passed the test of time. Previous owner claims he didn't know about this problem. I tend to believe him - old retired guy around 70ish.

So if anyone has a line on a SB H10 Bull Gear let me know

By the way, I'd also be interested in cam lock spindle so if you have one that comes with the bull gear all the better.

Thank You in advance

Robert

PS - question - Does the Heavy 10 Bull Gear happen to be compatible with the 10K or even a 9"? Or is this part very specific to the Heavy 10

I had taken the spindle out of my South Bend Heavy 10" lathe about 35 years ago to change bearings. To do this, I had to take the bull gear off the spindle. Southbend calls for a press fit between the bull gear's bore and the spindle. It is a "light press fit", so not much force needed to press the bull gear off the spindle. To get the bull gear back on, I heated it in a pan of oil on an electric hotplate. When the gear was at about 250-300 degrees F, it slid right onto the spindle with no press needed.

It's been 35 years, and although I still regularly use that South Bend 10L lathe, I am probably having a "senior moment", so bear with me. If I recall correctly, the "stud gear" which drives the quadrant gears for feeds/threads also uses this same type of fit. I popped it off with a puller, and used the heated oil to expand it to get it back on.

Back