Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default south bend w/tooling

Not mine, but since FL can be a bit of tool desert thought I would post this ad from CL

Southbend 9" Lathe Lots Of Tooling TurnWorkStock Includes Steel Bench - tools - by owner - sale

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Given the condition the ways appear to be in, the presence of most, if not all, of the standard accessories that would’ve come with it, and the extra tooling. I’d call this a decent buy. No hunting all over eBay for parts or an accessory or heaven forbid change gears. Maybe a little up there but the ways seem to still have their flaking. Seems gramps took care of his stuff.

Second look shows some pretty heavy wear near the headstock in picture 3. Still would be worth looking at if local.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Four pixs of the lathe and the rest the junk? that comes with it.

Tom

4. Likes JohnEvans liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    Four pixs of the lathe and the rest the junk? that comes with it.

Tom

A lot of beat up old junk. I don't really consider stuff like that tooling unless it's been taken care and still has it's integrity (or close anyway). Can't really tell much about the lathe with the crappy pics. Even though I see a pile of rusty change gears it still seems a little high in price to me.

-Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by naru View Post
    Given the condition the ways appear to be in, the presence of most, if not all, of the standard accessories that would’ve come with it, and the extra tooling. I’d call this a decent buy. No hunting all over eBay for parts or an accessory or heaven forbid change gears. Maybe a little up there but the ways seem to still have their flaking. Seems gramps took care of his stuff.

Second look shows some pretty heavy wear near the headstock in picture 3. Still would be worth looking at if local.
    Concur. The collets, chuck, steady and change gears valued independently could probably comprise 1/3 of the package cost. Maybe 800-1000 for the machine itself and with some haggling a guy is pretty close.

Granted, those prices wouldn't be nearly as reasonable in the iron-belt.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If a machine like that had original flaking showing on the entire bed, it would be a unicorn. Too good to be true.

Most machines of this vintage don't come with ANY change gears, and they sure as hell don't come with the correct
    steady rest or any collets. Somehow I suspect those are not 3Cs.