What's new
What's new

Spring Plunger for Orange Vise

cosmos_275

Hot Rolled
I created this little gadget. For a long while, I had been using some key ring spring plungers to replace the set screw spring plunger that comes with the vise jaws. I got tired of going at them with the t handle wrench every time to swap things out. Spring plungers work great. They offer a few pounds of preload: you don't need the thing tightened down (on a vertical machine). To improve on the idea I made my own. They have a couple set screws to prevent rotation and a feature to only let the ring rotate in a 90 degree section, so it does not interfere with the ratchet. Now, I can swap these on and off the machine is a couple seconds and it makes a great carrying handle. I only use one side of my jaws (dovetail side). I can run another batch if this seems useful to anyone else. Might just be me ;)

Attachments

• on_vise.jpg
    on_vise.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 85
  • carry.jpg
    carry.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 73
  • spring_plunger.jpg
    spring_plunger.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 77
This is a great idea, got me thinking if I could just drill a cross hole from the top and have a push button release on both sides without interfering with the jaw

Yeah, I was going to make and eccentric headed bolt to lock a normal spring plunger in place. The rotation was annoying and not enough room for a nut. But I thought of this which also keeps the ring up and I didn't have to drill and tap the jaw.

Back