What's new
What's new

Starrett 199 Master Precision Level FS

Blough

Aluminum
First time selling so I apologize.. A financial situation has let to me needing the green things ASAP.

As far as condition goes its used.. But no markings, engravings, deep scratches, or any signs of neglect.. I take care of my tools.
Wood case has a bit of wear and scratches on it but I think it is in pretty decent condition as well.

I would prefer paypal, like I said I need the greens.. Will give tracking number as soon as possible.

Asking $175.00

IMG_3574.jpgIMG_3571.jpgIMG_3573.jpgIMG_3577.jpgIMG_3572.jpg

Still no level , seller had some car issues, not sure what’s a reasonable wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's not good. Has he at least been communicating?

If he's claiming he's got no transportation, he's got to have at least single friend with a car that can get him to the PO.

Not great comms, he had originally told me it would ship 4/4, then said last Friday. It’s obviously not a crisis, I asked him if I could get a refund last evening, but not heard back yet.

Not great comms, he had originally told me it would ship 4/4, then said last Friday. It’s obviously not a crisis, I asked him if I could get a refund last evening, but not heard back yet.

How did you pay? If by CC through Paypal, it might be worth just going to the CC folks, Paypal isn't as helpful.

I hate these stories!
I bought a Van Norman dividing head from a PM member and received 75% of the item. “Hard times” was the excuse.

Hope you have his physical address.
I had a similar problem and threatened to call his local sheriff who told me if a complaint were filed a warrant would be issued.
Problem was solved soon as I emailed him with those nasty details.

I’m not ready to go nuclear on the guy, I’ll see if he responds to my latest email
Edit: I did use PayPal

Is it a good idea to have a "bad seller" thread so the sellers are named so it does not happen to the next guy? Probably easier to find "bad seller" than try to find random threads that might mention someone not following through after money was paid. Like what happened to me years ago, purchased a quantity of an item and ended up with less than half of the item.

Is it a good idea to have a "bad seller" thread so the sellers are named so it does not happen to the next guy? Probably easier to find "bad seller" than try to find random threads that might mention someone not following through after money was paid. Like what happened to me years ago, purchased a quantity of an item and ended up with less than half of the item.
This list will need real names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mails, etc.(screen name is too easy to change). I'm not sure about legality of it.

I’m not ready to go nuclear on the guy, I’ll see if he responds to my latest email
Edit: I did use PayPal

Did you use your credit card or bank account through Paypal? That's what Milland meant. If it was your credit card, you can file a dispute EITHER with the credit card (which is a bit easier) OR with Paypal (but not both). In the latter case you can only dispute through Paypal.

This list will need real names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mails, etc.(screen name is too easy to change). I'm not sure about legality of it.

What are you worried about? screen-name is the only thing that would matter or even mean anything to anyone else here. Supose we do it your way... lets say screen name of "joe the machinist" real name is john smith. You had a deal go bad and you put john smith on the bad seller list with his address that you mailed the moneyorder to.
I come accross a recent post by "joe the machinst" selling a good item for cheap that I have been wanting for a while and this deal is to good to pass up, doing my due diligance I check the bad seller list to if if "joe the machinist" has ever burned anyone and there are no mentions of "joe the machinist" in there. A few people were listed, including john smith in anytown usa but since I am sending paypal to his email which is [email protected] the name john smith means nothing to me, maybe when I get a paypal statement it will show [email protected] is really john smith but I wont even care to look or even worry about it until my item that was a good deal never shows up. At that point I might have enough interest to look back at paypal statement and then recheck the name john smith but why? I paid with paypal and used credit card to do so and have my money back. Not wanting anyone else to go through the ordeal I go and put "joe the machinist" on the bad seller list with an explanation of what happened...

Nobody in there right mind would send money to a newbie with no real post history and yes someone can change screen names often or even open new accounts to scam people here on PM but I dont see that happening. Most likely people get busy or sidetracked and the guy at the other side of the monitor is pretty far down the list of priorities for some people, they want to do good by selling something just have trouble following through. Well intentioned or not flakey sellers should be called out, they will either learn to not flake out or nobody will buy, either way is good.

Rob,

I'm with you on the need of such list. All I say is that the screen names alone won't be sufficient is some cases.

Of course the screen names need to be listed, but other info is desired for an extra layer of protection. When you pay by Paypal, money order or check, you know the name and address of this person or his affiliate (and e-mail registered with Paypal), and it's up to you to check them against those in the list. But, again, I'm not sure about legality of such expanded list that has real person's data and not just his screen name.

Naturally, even the expanded list doesn't guarantee safety, but it would require the thief to go extra mile to hide. So, even with the lists, paying by credit card or/and buying from well established members with a good track record would provide the best protection.

But even a list with just screen names is better than no list. Here I agree with you completely.

Mike

FYI the seller emailed me, he will refund my money if he doesn’t ship tomorrow

Back