What's new
What's new

Starrett Crankshaft Distortion Gauge #696 696B

kazlx

Hot Rolled
From Starrett's page.

Ideal gage for checking bearing alignment or shaft deflection without dismantling the engine. Also useful as a strain gage on engine frames. This inside measuring gage checks the distortion of crankshaft webs and bears a direct relation to existing misalignment or excessive bearing wear. Used on all diesel engine shafts and center crankshafts on any type of engine or compressor, the gage can also be applied as a strain gage on engine frames while the engine is operating. A comparison of readings taken at top and bottom positions indicates any misalignment of cylinder and frame which results in local over-stress and eventual cracking of the frame neck. Gage with Balancing Attachment, 2 3/8-18” Range neck.

I believe this is the 696-Z kit. The -B seems to refer to the counterweight. I know little to nothing about this gauge or how it's used. It looks to be in excellent shape.

$100 shipped in the US. New they seem to run ~$400.

As shown in the pic.

jkaslowski at gmail dot com

34281976956_94c33324b6_z.jpg

34281976416_0b9c113a2a_z.jpg

34281976986_074b57d1d5_z.jpg

I know little to nothing about this gauge or how it's used.

You stick it between the counterweights on a crankshaft (that's why the ends are pointy), then move the crankshaft from one side to the other side.

If the gauge shows a change, then you have a misaligned bore that is causing the crankshaft to flex as it moves from one side to the other.

I had one of those and sold it to a guy in Washington state that had several fishing boats with large diesel engines. He was glad to get it because up until then, he was paying someone else to do the work.

New they are big bucks.

Steve

What SteveM said....just to clarify it a bit.

In some places it's known as "Webbing the engine" you place it in
between the last cylinder crankshaft "webs" or the counter weights.
The last one, next to the output shaft end.
As you bar over (roll) the engine over, you carefully keep your eye on the dial,
looking for movement.
As SteveM points out, any movement on the dial means the output shaft is not
properly aligned with the load, and is flexing the crank.

So what uses do you have in mind for that item John ??

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You know me Steve - what ever invention of mine that comes along and happens to suit:D

I am a great "ASSOCIATOR". Nothing here has to be limited to what it was INTENDED for.

I bought one at a Detroit diesel auction thinking it was a bore gauge.

I don't understand the above description. You put it between the webs of the main bearings on the block to look for flex there? Or basically it is a dial indicator to put between anything to look for movement? What is the counter weight on the gauge holder for?

If you put it between the crank shaft webs you would have to prick them with a center punch for the gauge to stay in place.....

If you put it between the crank shaft webs you would have to prick them with a center punch for the gauge to stay in place.....

No you don't. The ends of the rods are pointy and sharp, and the spring is very strong compared to what you would see in something like a telescoping gauge.

It digs in and stays put.

Steve

I bought one at a Detroit diesel auction thinking it was a bore gauge.

I don't understand the above description. You put it between the webs of the main bearings on the block to look for flex there? Or basically it is a dial indicator to put between anything to look for movement? What is the counter weight on the gauge holder for?

Yup, when setting up a 1 bearing alternator on the back end of an engine.

If it's not aligned right, it will pinch that web with every revolution.

No you don't. The ends of the rods are pointy and sharp, and the spring is very strong compared to what you would see in something like a telescoping gauge.

It digs in and stays put.
Steve it sounds like you know this gauge... I got one recently from a ship mechanic and as I help maintain some steam locomotives I thought it might be useful, but I wonder if mine's seized or broken inside? The collet side I assume is meant to be fixed once the collet is tightened on one of the extension rods, but what appears to be the movable pointer on the opposite side is fully retracted and immobile: the base of the conical tip is flush against the collar behind it and I can't get anything to move. Can you tell me how this gauge should work, or refer me to a description of how it normally functions? Thanks!

Back