What's new
What's new

Starrett mother load Score

Waggoner72

Plastic
Hey guys, new to the forum and thought y'all might appreciate and have some knowledge about these Starrett items I picked up the other day. I come from The Garage Journal Forum.
Found all of this local and paid $180 for everything in all the pictures. How did I do?
95% of the items are Starrett. A couple other brands including mitutoyo and Japan? Dial indicators, micrometers, depth gauges, rulers, machinist levels, victor torches, brass hammers, Armstrong and wright wrenches and sockets. Any insight on what to do with all these? I am not a machinist by any means. I mainly do automotive work and I do have my own shop. Thinking may sell some things and keep stuff I think I may use in the next 30 years Atleast once.... There were more various items but this was the majority of it.
7c3b1349d1bb1c22f71b270a761f6cec.jpg

d911990dc5f67b20bc140d17803c6653.jpg

7f6c475b78061a46330e09e81788167e.jpg

29061c26e1f589df57f7fca393cecce6.jpg

9c1bd205183585512adfade48d908d02.jpg

93f43a3a674f137e3e56a21d9aabe6e0.jpg

cc88f4c76c695f80d0b1721a3c5391ea.jpg

5f6e245d697d6778399c109194a4e048.jpg

42ce611f6ac6810262dbd32f67dbdb65.jpg

4d2b25bb682ec7e6b602bef456c05dd7.jpg

27e425af79f923c01149684144f2e1cc.jpg

Lots of USA HSS drill bits and wright giant sockets.
97e47367d58d9b44ab5c78cdd2d453f2.jpg

If you end up selling, I'd be interested in buying a .001, .005, and .0001 DTI from you, if you've got 'em and aren't ridiculous on prices.

Company buys all my tools, but I still wouldn't mind owning one or all of those for my own toolbox.

Let me know if you want to sell the set of indicator points(screwed into the ring).

If you were to sell all of that stuff individually, you would probably double or triple your money.

If youfucked a widow Or a down machinist out of them may you die a thousand deaths.

Iow show some fucking respect

Well remember karma is a bitch.

If youfucked a widow Or a down machinist out of them may you die a thousand deaths.

Hmmmm.... Thanks? Asking price was $300 on it all. Guy had them all thrown in a jobox about to rust away at the next rain. He was very happy to take $180 for it all.

I've heard that jealousy is worse than karma, it'll reach deep down inside your heart and pull it inside out.

Because you feel his karma is bad for buying a bunch of used tools cheap, well, you'll get over it...IOW, your panties will become un-wadded at some point...LOL

Nice score OP, that's a great haul for $180.

You did lowball the guy, in a way. But there is a good deal of rusty stuff, so not that bad.

The multi--anvil mic sets tend to go for real money, which I don't figure, they are, to me, a real PITA. But they can be good if you need to set up for specific measurements on a job, Reasonable way to have several big mics available without taking a lot of room for seldom used stuff.

At $180 you paid low, but maybe not as low as it seems. The small mics, they go around here for maybe $15 to 20 , lower if not carbide face and if old 1 thou models. Files and hammers, drills, and sockets are almost a "gimme" The two #98 levels are nice, sensitive, but not stupid-sensitive. Lots of indicators, the back plunger sets go for money here,although I don't particularly like them. You lucked out, don't see any "Last Word" in there, although you can, for some reason, sell those POS's for decent money.

You can whale off a bunch of it and keep a good set of measuring tools. Should get your money back and still have plenty of tools.

Heavey's point is well made. A good price is OK, but screwing somebody on the deal is just low. If you agreed on a price from a guy who was not trying to get rent money or whatever, OK. They guy's asking was probably about right, maybe a hundred low, for used around here, from what I see... (except for the box set 1 to 6" mics, if they are Starrett.) I didn't add it all up though.

Hmmmm.... Thanks? Asking price was $300 on it all. Guy had them all thrown in a jobox about to rust away at the next rain. He was very happy to take $180 for it all.

Sounds to me like you did the tools and the seller a good deed.

Nice bunch of of tools that you undoubtedly will get pleasure each time you use one. The seller probably appreciates they are going to a good home. A few years back a retired tool and die maker gave me a Gerstner box full of his tools, many of which he made himself. He knew he could have sold em off to collectors and grabbers on eBay but chose the good home approach instead. Each time I pull one out I smile a little realizing Arv made or bought that fine tool. I also treasure the memories of the tutoring he eagerly provided as well. I still see him from time to time and he inquires about his tools and whatever I am working on at the time though his memory is starting to slip pretty badly.

Denis

A wanton display of suckage, I believe.

Seriously, good score. Share and/or profit by this windfall as you will but consider the impoverished younger players among us.

Good buy, given the rust evident on some pieces they were not being looked after properly. With time and effort some will clean up nicely, some not.

Op did get a great buy but better that then continued decline and abuse followed by a trip to the flea market, pawnshop, etc.

As usual this thread brought out the naysayers and haters. I see no reason to doubt the Op's story. Sounds like the person he bought from was trying to make a quick buck without regard for proper care of said tools.
Hodge

Nice score, you should find a semi descent return on your investment(if that is your intent). I hope you will find a worthy home for the tools, each and every one probably has a unique story behind it. Please do have respect. Those tools did place food on someone’s table at one time.
With regard's to gauging equipment, ISO standards have mandated the participating organization(s) purchase, own, control, and distribute the equipment. This is in an effort to promote traceability, standardization, repeatability, certification ETC. To make the “wheels” of industry turn “smoothly”.
The days of machinists purchasing and controlling their own measuring equipment, en masse are behind us. My experience, with a similar buy, was vintage, used (even NOS) market was not willing to support anywhere near new prices, but rather, near the bottom value is what was gotten for my sales. It didn’t matter, as I didn’t need the gauging equipment, have plenty on hand, to suit my needs. You will find interested parties here on PM. PM is a great resource for connecting your gauging equipment to those who can use it.

very nice set of tools! Unless you need any money bad why not keep everything if you have the room to store it properly? You have only $180 in it! Later you can sell or trade for what you need at that time.

With regard's to gauging equipment, ISO standards have mandated the participating organization(s) purchase, own, control, and distribute the equipment. This is in an effort to promote traceability, standardization, repeatability, certification ETC. To make the “wheels” of industry turn “smoothly”. The days of machinists purchasing and controlling their own measuring equipment, en masse are behind us. /QUOTE]

With that exact thought in mind, several years ago our company asked that all new hires bring no tools to work, as the company would supply everything needed. They did not require the veteran employees to take their stuff home, that would probably have caused a revolution. As the vets retire,(or die off) there are fewer employee owned tools in the shop. This does make correct calibration of tools more certain, with the expected benefit of higher quality and less scrap.

In the depths of the great recession I saw an online auction that had a surface grinder I was interested in so I went for the inspection. They had a table full of brand new Starrett tools that was about the same size as the haul above. I already have way too many precision tools so I didn't bid on them but they went for a little under $300. It really pained me not to bid on them but I restrained myself.

As to the haul above, I think someone probably worked in a big factory and lifted most of those tools. It happens. Someone who bought them all for retail would never sell them for that price.

Back