What's new
What's new

Starrett parts supplier?

cwdaniel

Plastic
Does anyone have a source for Starrett replacement parts? Particularly a spring for the 827B edge finder?

There is this outfit called L.S. Starrett Co. Athol. MA If your willing to spend the price of a phone call you can call them (978) 249-3551 You can also contact your local Starrett rep. [h=5][/h]

There is this outfit called L.S. Starrett Co. Athol. MA If your willing to spend the price of a phone call you can call them (978) 249-3551 You can also contact your local Starrett rep. [h=5][/h]

And I have found their prices for small parts to be reasonable.

The cost for a case for an indicator I have was less than what people were asking for used ones on ebay.

Steve

Starrett supplies almost all the parts for their tools, even those that were designed in the 1800's. I visited the factory a few years ago, and was taken for a tour by a young machinist. We went through every floor, so it was interesting to see that their methods and commitment to quality have changed little in the last 50 years. Not to say they don't have modern machines, but they still have the old ones (Hardinge BB2's, Monarch 10EE's, etc.). I have ordered parts from them and received prompt service and reasonably prices.

A quick-fix recommendation, then low grade thread hack:

If spring is broken near original loop, bend out adjacent coil into a hook and reattach. While it's apart, put a dab of paint/ on
threaded post of each end; secure but not Loc_Tite.
Now,use same paper-clip to pull it through body, push paper-clip to bridge open end of edgefinder, thread back into point, cut off paper-clip and pull it out.
I'll bet factory does identical way, maybe music wire instead.

Hack.
Notice how old companies [especially those carrying a person's name] have customer service in mind. I just received replacement scriber for a Swanson combination square, for the asking.
At the same time, the big bozo's pester you with Customer Fulfillment Surveys..........I answer those too; "What's happened in customer service over past 900 years, you haven't a handle on; and expect me to relate free?"

I mean, what are cubicles full of 1 year master-degree MBA's doing? And Toolmakers are overhead??????

Hi Daniel,
I work at Starrett in Tech Support the 827B spring is:
PT17809 --- SPRING FOR #827 EDGE FINDER, .098X.141X.781 --- it currently is $ 3.83
We don’t enforce a minimum for parts orders and can take parts orders direct with a credit card if you ask for customer service at (978) 249-3551.
Someone likely misspoke if you were told otherwise, sorry about that.
As a heads up there is a handling fee for parts <$25.00 it’ll be $8.95.
Thanks,
James M. Clinton
Manager Special Order and Technical Support - Precision Hand Tools
The L.S. Starrett Company
121 Crescent Street
Athol, MA 01331

Hi Daniel,
I work at Starrett in Tech Support the 827B spring is:
PT17809 --- SPRING FOR #827 EDGE FINDER, .098X.141X.781 --- it currently is $ 3.83
We don’t enforce a minimum for parts orders and can take parts orders direct with a credit card if you ask for customer service at (978) 249-3551.
Someone likely misspoke if you were told otherwise, sorry about that.
As a heads up there is a handling fee for parts <$25.00 it’ll be $8.95.
Thanks,
James M. Clinton
Manager Special Order and Technical Support - Precision Hand Tools
The L.S. Starrett Company
121 Crescent Street
Athol, MA 01331

Damm, that's some good customer service!

Back