What's new
What's new

Surplus material - Aluminum/Stainless/Alloys

agevirtz

Plastic
Our shop trepans various materials and the process results in cores of various sizes. In the past we have always just sent this to the scrap yard, but only get pennies on the dollar for excellent material. Most recently we have been trepanning 6061-T6511 Aluminum leaving us with 6.50" dia cores x 48-96" long. This is excellent material and will clean up at ~6.25-6.375" OD. We would love to find someone that could use this material. We have certs for the original material that this came from (it was 14'' OD material. Any suggestions on how we can sell this material with the least amount of work. We do not want to sell on ebay and would prefer to sell all the material in one lot. We also have various cores in various grades of material that we do not have certs for. I've attached pics for review.

Resized_20210329_100138.jpgResized_20210329_100117.jpg

Thanks for your help

Set/post a decent price, perhaps cut to length.

Oh, you said you don't want to piece it out. Perhaps an employee would do that on his/her own time. It should not go for scrap when people still use aluminum.

Ask for a buck a pound for the certed cores here, and perhaps $.60 for the non certed. I bet you'll find buyers, unless the stock came from China originally.

So I'll ask - what's the country of origin and mill info?

Our shop trepans various materials and the process results in cores of various sizes. In the past we have always just sent this to the scrap yard, but only get pennies on the dollar for excellent material. Most recently we have been trepanning 6061-T6511 Aluminum leaving us with 6.50" dia cores x 48-96" long. This is excellent material and will clean up at ~6.25-6.375" OD. We would love to find someone that could use this material. We have certs for the original material that this came from (it was 14'' OD material. Any suggestions on how we can sell this material with the least amount of work. We do not want to sell on ebay and would prefer to sell all the material in one lot. We also have various cores in various grades of material that we do not have certs for. I've attached pics for review.

View attachment 318777View attachment 318778

Thanks for your help

And why would you NOT post in the "for sale" section ?....:nutter:

The origin is Russia

Commie metals! That stuff only works if you're building SR71's...

I should clarify that my suggested pricing was for Al stock, not the SS and alloy. Just do the same sort of 1/2 or more off actual material cost, still much better than what you'd get from a scrapper.

I'm guessing you buy the materials for your own products? Because I'd think that most production treppaning companies send the cores back with the tube stock, with invoices adjusted to suit.

I smell a rat here guys, ..................like a trepanning shop that doesn't have ready buyers or know where to ''offload '' the cores ?????

Nah - not buying it.

This thread went quiet quickly...

The OP does state his/her occupation as "Controller", so that would be a person appropriate for disposing of excess assets (I think).

Maybe DD's sleuthing spooked them, or just busy, or they've found a new use for them as very short, conductive telephone poles.

This thread went quiet quickly...

The OP does state his/her occupation as "Controller", so that would be a person appropriate for disposing of excess assets (I think).

Maybe DD's sleuthing spooked them, or just busy, or they've found a new use for them as very short, conductive telephone poles.

I think dd spooked them, he would me with that level work. I see why he’s called DIGGER Doug

I just feed dd some extra o’s, Usually keeps him happy.
Oooooooooo

I think dd spooked them, he would me with that level work. I see why he’s called DIGGER Doug

I just feed dd some extra o’s, Usually keeps him happy.
Oooooooooo

I simply asked a question....:crazy:

The "digger" comes from me owning a W&S 211.....:skep:

Spose he should have posted a resume and birth certificate first?

No, but some on here were in doubt if the OP was legit.

IF
, IF the op would have simply taken (15) whole minutes to read a wee bit, before posting, they would have seen there is a proper place and method to post this material for sale.

As the OP has made very few postings, however the for sale section does give much leeway, and I'd wager Mebfab would have let it stay.

IF the OP was honest and upfront as to
who they were, the fact that they are the company rep/owner (material wasn't stolen).

Simple really.

Sorry, OP, have to ignore DD sometimes, his spam radar is defective sometimes! :D

You are probably going to need to sell locally as shipping would likely be outrageous, unless you have something in place (reduced rates, contract, etc)... I would try FB. We cut alum all the time, but not in those diameters.

Back