What's new
What's new

Tailstock needed B&S #13

falcoman

Aluminum
Gentelmen,

Several years back I purchased a B&S #13 tool and cutter grinder. It came without any attachments and I have never used it.
I think now is the time to get it up and runing. The first project I need to do will be grinding between centers. To do so I need a standard tailstock. Looks like there are all sorts of other attachments as well. Would like to here from anyone who has a line on a tailstock, etc.

Thanks, Steve

I would like to jump if here to if I can, I just bought from a friend a #13 b&s grinder serial number 1277 . Old but looks to be in pretty good shape. I am looking for attachments as well. I don't want to jump in ahead of Falcoman, but if I can PM anyone let me know. Thanks mike

Never buy a T & C grinder without all the bits and pcs. to use it. They are next to impossible to find. I have been looking for attachments for my monoset grinder for 8 years and finely have most of what I need to use it. If you run across anything you need you better grab it as it may be years till you find another.

No extra tailstocks but I have multiples of many B&S 13 fixtures and attachments.
Universal fixtures, #351 spring collet chucks, tons of #11 collets, live center pulleys, risers, index centers, ID grinding attachment, endmill sharpening workhead, tool rests, center heads, face chuck, face plate, dogs with wrench and holder, taper holding attachment, through feed cutter sharpening attachment, surface grinding table, continuous radius and tangent dresser, 6-18 EM and PM chucks, steady rest, headstock base and more.

Most of the above are genuine B&S 13 items. The ID attachment has the incorrect mounting casting. The radius/tangent dresser does not have the original #13 specific stand. Missing a few of the smaller dogs and one wrench. Face chuck does not have the drawbar. Universal does not have all the bushings and bars.

Got the tailstock Thanks to btbbob. Now for the rest of it. Like I said before I have never had this machine running and so I am finding out what I need to use it and what I don't have. The list is long, but this machine has so many capabilities to expand to. It is basicly blank with a power tool head with no chuck and now a tailstock. It has tapered drives for the spindle, apparantly I need some bushings or something for the wheels to bolt on. Got the manuals but that is not clear for part numbers. Still need a face plate and center for the head stock for my first operation. which will be grinding a shaft I think the internal grinding stuff would be great to have around and add additional capability to my humble shop. I also would like the Universal Head and fittings at some point. If you can help please PM me with what you want for your parts. Thanks Steve

Might want to put up a picture of the machine because the #13 was made for a long time and changed quite a bit during that run.

You have the "ancient" No. 13. Mid to Late 40's vintage. Same one I have. Most of what's out there seems to be for the 50's and newer "modern" No. 13's. The newer style are quite a bit different and worth a lot more.

You have the "ancient" No. 13. Mid to Late 40's vintage. Same one I have. Most of what's out there seems to be for the 50's and newer "modern" No. 13's. The newer style are quite a bit different and worth a lot more.

Yes I knew it was WW2 vintage from the DOD stickers on it. Apparantly the government gave some of this type of stuff to the big companies for the war effort.
Received the tailstock today and it fits just fine. A little tlc and I think this is going to run great. Next problem is the head stock motor is only 440. The rest of them are duel voltage motors. Thinking about using a Boost Buck I have laying around to up my voltage at the machine to solve that one and just leave the wiring alone.
Still need some wheel adaptors. What do you use and where do you get them. Also there is a wooden box that looks like it was built into the machine down by the big motor. Looks like it may have been for storing wheels in. Does yours have this as well?

Back