What's new
What's new

Is there any interest in resharpened end mills.

lazz

Stainless
I have too many resharpened end mills.
Over the years I have been putting all of them I find on a shelf... Its time to do something with them.

I did not resharpen any of them...

As I get older it takes less and less to keep me busy.... I have put this off a long time knowing how much effort it will be. They will mostly be HSS 1/4" to 1" both single and double ended. There will be zero carbide end mills.

The one thing I know for sure is the level of interest is directly connected to the price.

Does a buck for 1/4" single end and $4 for double ended 5/8" and bigger sound interesting?

I think I'd be interested.
To make sure I understand, are they a little smaller on dia due to sharpening ?
Sorry for my ignorance, but would this effect (affect ?) how they hold in the collet ?
Thanks,
Bob

I'd be up for a box of 3/8 and smaller! Especially if you have any roughing end mills in there. My ability to resharpen end mills by hand leaves alot to be desired :)

I would be interested.
Post on some of the hobby machinist sites. I bet you get a lot of interest there.

Id be interested in some as well. I'm still trying to learn so would prefer to break cheaper stuff.

Sorry for my ignorance, but would this effect (affect ?) how they hold in the collet ?
Thanks,
Bob

when you sharpen an end mil, yes, the diameter of the cutting portion is slightly reduced. The part that is held in the collet is untouched. The cutter end diameter difference does not matter - if used in a cnc you plug in the new diameter, if (more likely with hss) you are manually machining, you don't base machining on the cutter diameter, you measure the part after the cut to see how much is left. e.g. if you took a pass and measured the part and another 10 thou has to come off, you move the table over 10 thou....in which case cutter diameter doesn't matter

i can use 1/2" and up. single or double end. most interested in roughers, but i'll take 2, 3, & 4 flute. heavy on the bigger sizes. I will PM. jef

I'll also climb on the wagon. I would be especially interested in "Bridgeport" type reduced-shank end mills, such as 3/4 shank x 1-1/2 cutter diameter, for example. Otherwise, any other types are of interest.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, to answer your question, the re-grind only affects the diameter of the cutting flutes. The shank that goes in the toolholder is un-affected. The dia. of the flutes will be a little smaller, but otherwise no change.
JH

Gentlemen... I have made a mistake...

I mentioned to a buddy I didnt want to store these any more.... and the flood gates opened.
There are few, very few, if any much bigger than 3/4" left.

Ill sort the remainders and get them ready to go....

Back