What's new
What's new

Is there any value in drill chuck keys?

Trboatworks

Diamond
There must be a hundred or more of the damn things:

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 5.10.59 PM.jpg

Most are new and the whole range of sizes- all good quality American keys.
Any way to get these sold or just put them in a sack and toss in the creek?

Thanks

When you can't find the right one they are worth their weight in rhodium...

Rhodium! Ask your wife/girlfriend/sig other what 'unexplanium' is worth! :)

No kidding, they have a hella lot of value to the fella that has never been able to find the correct chuck key!

Problem I see is the same as the line directly above, how do you define the key so the buyer thinks it fits?

I have about 15 and sometimes none fit a certain chuck exactly right. Usually one is workable however. I would keep a selection on hand and offer the rest in lots of ten or so for $20 plus shipping.

Guys thanks- say two bucks per plus the cheapest cost to get an envelope to you.

I have a bunch of drill chucks around I guess I could sort by size and try to figure out what they fit.
I think the Jacobs will be easy- the rest...

I'll quick sort them out in the morning.

Ok.

Dalmatian as you asked for type yours are shipped.

Everyone else can you hold tight for a bit.
I sat down to sort these and though there are a hundred or so of the little buggers they are of course just a dozen or so sizes.

Let me get them counted out by size so I can spare everyone ordering an assortment and getting a bunch of keys that are of no use to you.

Also- looking at them closer they are maybe half used half new.
None beat up.

Dalmatian- those I sent you are all new.

Doesn't hurt to keep a selection. We have a tray in the tool crib above the jobber drill index's. I've had a couple with busted or worn teeth and was always lucky to have a spare (or 20).

A lot of it is habit/shop practice. I'm a stickler for keeping the chuck key's IN the chuck when it's not in use. Even if there's five checks that use the same key, they all get their own.

I could do with a few so I don't have to share keys between chucks. I'll check what sizes I need when I get home.

edit - couple of K3 and a K4 would be great, though I'd happily buy some other sizes to up the total.

Last edited:
Ok- I had't realized how close I was to going nuts till I sat down to sort these damn things..

Anyone who wants any just let me know.
It appears small flat rate box or flat rate envelope to ship so figure cost of that plus two bucks each.
The ones I could figure out are listed by size, otherwise they are just letters for each group.

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 4.39.07 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 4.39.39 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 4.40.06 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 4.41.51 PM.jpg

Thanks all

Goodness, there's a lot of chucks pining for their keys out there...

As I mentioned before, I'll take an assortment of 2ea of the larger keys, let's make it 10 sets ($40). You can email or pm me a total with shipping and your PP address, I'll send you my shipping address.

Back