What's new
What's new

Today's eBay funny: "Used Gear" for $4,000

sfriedberg

Diamond
The entire description is "Used gear from running machine." And the photo is a section of rack, with absolutely no idea about scale. No info on the pitch, width or length of the "used gear". Oh, and they are asking four thousand dollars.

Gear | eBay

What planet do these people live on?

The entire description is "Used gear from running machine." And the photo is a section of rack, with absolutely no idea about scale. No info on the pitch, width or length of the "used gear". Oh, and they are asking four thousand dollars.

Gear | eBay

Maybe he has an expensive hard to get obsolete part he's selling to his employer. Sometimes eBay/PayPal is used to bypass stupid corporate finance dept rules regarding buying machine parts from an employee who runs a side businesses selling used machine parts.

Wow, that is a good one.

Someone once asked me in "i need a gear, what should i buy?" thinking that they gave me enough information to answer the question

when i made the mistake of inquiring further, it became quickly obvious that they were 1. hoping for *pulls gear out of pocket* "this is exactly what you need" and 2. had no idea what gears were, or how they worked.

It turns out the application was for a small and crude model of something, so i responded "use lego gears"

Gear | eBay

I'll take it!
Can I fax you a check from my Nigerian account?

Too late guys there's already a bid on it. Probably a government purchasing agent. Isn't there also a $6000.00 hammer in there somewhere? :rolleyes5:

Best Regards,
Bob

Hello there. I saw you have one of those extremely rare gear racks that cannot be found ANYWHERE. Being a collector of gear racks, I wondered if you might tell me where exactly you obtained it, because the only ones I have been able to find are the thousands of inexpensive ones like the ones found here - Boston Gear L5052 Rack Gear, 14.5 Degree Pressure Angle, 24 Pitch, 2.0 feet long, Steel: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Amazon $44.10 USD versus that on ebay at $4000.00, lol. What's a couple decimal points among friends? He thinks 9% off is a good deal, considering shipping is included.

Looking at OP's link redirects to this, idealized by ebay data experts "We Found Something Similar" aka Acme Gridley Gear Drive Coolant Pump.
This opportune time to insert Lol?

Elsewhere on PM today, found posts lamenting tear down of Enco by MSC. Well, Charles and Nathan Usiskin made their money, and lots of decent [imported] tooling with the Enco brand is found desirable; especially compared to millenial chinesium of today.
i work for a small family job shop. Owners have little experience outside those walls. They rarely will-call, USPS, UPS, FedEx arriving near daily basis. McMaster-Carr is their go-to for purchases, MSC very last. They can overnight copper flats, ACME taps, crazy all-thread, water fountain, any variety fastener; whatever. Pre-internet their prices 'seemed' higher. It's clear now, a lot of income was spent being the very best, worldwide.
As stated MaCarCo site [and paper catalog] epitomize searchable material; without requirement of return filtering trick keystrokes. They also initiated 'About...' pages decades ago.
Spend time quoting, delegating work, running jobs you do personally, and pursue receivables.
Spend cash on services doing what they do best, sourcing and delivery services.

Ebay can be a funny place, sometimes its not about what something is worth, its about what people want. Cleaning out the shop a few years ago I had a bunch of old misc gears, I split them into lots that would fit in flat rate boxes and added a few key words (steam punk vintage art) to title and listed auction format with $9.99 opening bids, I was rather shocked at what they sold for.

Want a good laugh? Look up "vintage Krylon", pretty sure I've pitched a million bucks worth of old half full paint cans in my life.

Ebay can be a funny place, sometimes its not about what something is worth, its about what people want. Cleaning out the shop a few years ago I had a bunch of old misc gears, I split them into lots that would fit in flat rate boxes and added a few key words (steam punk vintage art) to title and listed auction format with $9.99 opening bids, I was rather shocked at what they sold for.

Want a good laugh? Look up "vintage Krylon", pretty sure I've pitched a million bucks worth of old half full paint cans in my life.

Good point d_girl.
ebay's gone from from viable experienced sellers to current batch of nobody's, merely wholesale of pallet lot asian crap, and estate clearouts. As in vernier caliper, search returns a few of those and 1000's that aren't. Important now, applying specific filtering symbols, and forget about their "lowest price and shipping" categorization. Spend $$.$$ for what you want; NOT on that'll do, even more definitely NOT on 'oh well'.

IMNSHO bulk of expertise is now held by the customer. Barely a garage sale now, buyer beware, caveat emptor.

The steampunk trend an extension of Victorian zeal for infinite detail; but highly unorganized. Overall, maybe less functional than 'shabby chic'. Like steam gauges on a desk lamp, automatic transmission cases as pedestal sinks, Philco refrigerator handle door pulls, and other nonsense. Practice is nearly 100% those without a mechanical background, supplied with excess discretionary funds.

Amazon $44.10 USD versus that on ebay at $4000.00, lol. What's a couple decimal points among friends? He thinks 9% off is a good deal, considering shipping is included.

Looking at OP's link redirects to this, idealized by ebay data experts "We Found Something Similar" aka Acme Gridley Gear Drive Coolant Pump.
This opportune time to insert Lol?

Elsewhere on PM today, found posts lamenting tear down of Enco by MSC. Well, Charles and Nathan Usiskin made their money, and lots of decent [imported] tooling with the Enco brand is found desirable; especially compared to millenial chinesium of today.
i work for a small family job shop. Owners have little experience outside those walls. They rarely will-call, USPS, UPS, FedEx arriving near daily basis. McMaster-Carr is their go-to for purchases, MSC very last. They can overnight copper flats, ACME taps, crazy all-thread, water fountain, any variety fastener; whatever. Pre-internet their prices 'seemed' higher. It's clear now, a lot of income was spent being the very best, worldwide.
As stated MaCarCo site [and paper catalog] epitomize searchable material; without requirement of return filtering trick keystrokes. They also initiated 'About...' pages decades ago.
Spend time quoting, delegating work, running jobs you do personally, and pursue receivables.
Spend cash on services doing what they do best, sourcing and delivery services.

Good to see you got that 6 year old post sorted out.

I looked at the SOLD prices of vintage krylon, what on earth are people thinking buying old cans of spray paint for 40.00 and 50.00 a can.
I just don’t get can someone explain?

Looking further, I really don’t get it. These are SOLD prices.
0b9082edbc2d18e3bb351ae414961935.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True Temper, I don't get it either, like I said I've pitched serious money. Either there are people that collect spray cans, maybe modelers looking for certain colors, or huffers trying to re-capture that high from 1975.

I looked at the SOLD prices of vintage krylon, what on earth are people thinking buying old cans of spray paint for 40.00 and 50.00 a can.
I just don’t get can someone explain?

Graffiti artists...seriously...that's who's buying it. Vintage spraypaint has been a thing for about ten years.

Back