What's new
What's new

Tool Bit Assortment

calc41

Plastic
Hello, I'm a Newbe Mechanic not a Machinist so I don't know a lot about these other than how they're used. Cleaning out my Father-In-Laws Basement & found all these tool bits. My Mother-In-Law wants me to try to
sell them. I have no idea what they might be worth & I thought I'd ask here if someone could use them or give me
some idea of what to price them at. Here are 3 pictures of some of them. There's still a lot more . Thanks for any info. 100_9062.jpg100_9064.jpg100_9060.jpg

For value you can check out Ebay listings for HSS lathe bits, once you have an idea of their worth you can list them here and/or there. Maybe break them into smaller lots if you want to maximize income, but it's more handling time on your end.

And condolences on the passing of the FiL.

When looking at 'bay, look at sold listings. The for sale prices are, for the most part, unrealistically high, some even comically high.

Names and sizes are important. The smaller stuff sells better generally than the larger stuff, as machines that use larger toolbits are more likely to use carbide. IIRC, there were recently 50 pieces of 5/16, new, that sold as one lot, delivered, on this site for $1.00 each.

Sort for approximate sizes, and include a rule in the picture for scale. Names are important, so the more that show the better. I noticed some labeled Stellite, you may want to sort out all non-magnetic tool bits and group them separately regardless of size.

USPS flat rate boxes are your friend. Tape well, and put the small, addressed box inside a flat rate envelope to increase the likelihood of safe arrival.

Ditto to what gbent says about checking Ebay. Take the for sale prices with a large grain of salt. Like he said, most are way too high. Also, make sure you aren't looking at prices on lots full of Chinese made junk. There are also a ton of old posts for lots of HSS blanks on this site. That may be give you a better idea than Ebay.

If you could lay them all out with names up and a ruler or scale for reference, that would be nice. I would be interested in them once you decide on a price.

I for one would rarely entertain HSS or inserts on a buy by the piece sale, simply not worth my time to hunt ebay.

A mostly full UPS flat rate box with the "Tom Lipton" inspired "Crate in a Box" bolstering of the packing is way more appealing.

So you might simply want to come up with a price you can be happy with and offer as a bulk purchase. Ultimately I think the bulk sale will get them out the door much quicker than selling individually.

Good luck

When looking at 'bay, look at sold listings. The for sale prices are, for the most part, unrealistically high, some even comically high.

Names and sizes are important. The smaller stuff sells better generally than the larger stuff, as machines that use larger toolbits are more likely to use carbide. IIRC, there were recently 50 pieces of 5/16, new, that sold as one lot, delivered, on this site for $1.00 each.

Sort for approximate sizes, and include a rule in the picture for scale. Names are important, so the more that show the better. I noticed some labeled Stellite, you may want to sort out all non-magnetic tool bits and group them separately regardless of size.

USPS flat rate boxes are your friend. Tape well, and put the small, addressed box inside a flat rate envelope to increase the likelihood of safe arrival.

Adding a comment on the USPS Flat Rate boxes. We like using these also but found when shipping lots of small parts it's best to put the parts in plastic grocery bags then inside the boxes. When the postal folks break open a box the bags inside help prevent a waterfall of small parts.

Back