What's new
What's new

Tool Steel A2, D2, O1, 4150 QT and many more alloys FS in small quanitities.

Hardplates

Stainless
I am a one man shop and recently purchased somewhere around 30,000 pounds of tool steel. Much of the steel has the original MTRs and the material that doesn't will be tested with an X-ray florescence gun to accurately ID the alloy. This is way more material than I "need" but the price was right at auction. I would like to recoup some of the cost by selling "small" pieces. There are lots of several hundred pound blocks of tool steel that I will cut if need be and lots of 4150 pre hard round bar in the 2-3" range. Its going to take me some time to inventory and ID all the material and I will update the listing as I do so. Just figured I would post something up and if someone needs something specific feel free to ask. I will not be selling tool steel for $0.50 a pound but it will be much much cheaper than buying from a supplier and include MTR's. Obviously flat rate boxes are the way to go but other arrangements can be made for larger pieces.

Lots of potential interest here. Understood that inventorying takes time, but more info at this initial stage would help in cutting down on back&forth mail enquiries. E.g., How small is a "small" batch - smallest USPO 1-rate box? Shapes - rod, flats, tube? What other alloys?

-Marty-

Lots of potential interest here. Understood that inventorying takes time, but more info at this initial stage would help in cutting down on back&forth mail enquiries. E.g., How small is a "small" batch - smallest USPO 1-rate box? Shapes - rod, flats, tube? What other alloys?

-Marty-

It appears that there is going to be more interest than I anticipated which is nothing to complain about. I would anticipate it being at least a week before I have a better idea of what I purchased and can go through the MTRs. I was posting to gauge interest so I know how good of an inventory to perform and how quickly to do it. I would like to say that no order is too small but on the other hand I'm not interested in taking the time involved to cut, pack and ship a $5 order.

Thank you to everyone that has expressed interest.

just a suggestion, but you may be able to move a bunch of that material by making up mixed lots for a fixed price. Eg. 30lb mixed steel, mixed sizes in a medium flat rate for $50. Or some variation thereof. Not saying individual orders won't work, just that you could knockout 10 or 15 boxes in an afternoon which would get you more money per hour, even if it's less money per pound.

I know that the $55 boxes of alu drops from Xometry are very popular with hobbyists and I've seen mixed steel boxes on eBay before. Even advertising on Hobby Machinist would get you a fair no. of orders I would expect.

Any rounds 3/8" or under in A2 or O-1? I would be looking for 3 or 6 footers.

I believe most of the stuff in this lot it larger. I will know for sure on Monday.

I do know that I can get small A2 and O1 for around $3 a pound, but I doubt that would help you out much?

I will be interested in A2 precision ground flat stock in 1/32", 1/16" or 3/32" thick? Preference for 1/16" thick. Widths of 1 through 12 inches lengths up to 36 inches.

You can let me know here or by pm.

Thanks for sharing!

I will be interested in A2 precision ground flat stock in 1/32", 1/16" or 3/32" thick? Preference for 1/16" thick. Widths of 1 through 12 inches lengths up to 36 inches.

You can let me know here or by pm.

Thanks for sharing!

I don't believe there is anything that thin in this lot. But I will have much better answers on Monday. If you were looking for something like 12" x 12" x 6" then I would have you covered. I didn't expect so much interest in this and figured I will need to keep bumping the thread as I added materials.

Better to stay in the thread so we all see the inventory, available or not. No need for a bunch of people asking the same questions in PM's

Do you have any S7 or H13?

I'm not sure but will know on Monday. I can get it for around $3 a pound (that's with me making a small percentage when I'm picking up material for myself). I don't know if this helps many people but I have a really good connection for a small guy like me on tool steel.

I believe most of the stuff in this lot it larger. I will know for sure on Monday.

I do know that I can get small A2 and O1 for around $3 a pound, but I doubt that would help you out much?

Great price, but doubt it would help much. I just looked at my purchase history and I bought $750 of small tool steel rounds from McMaster last year. I doubt you could get close to what McMaster pays for shipping.

Here are the sizes I used last year, all rounds.

(A2) 3/16, 1/4
(O1) 1/4, 3/8, 7/16

I would hate to see what I am actually paying per pound.

Great price, but doubt it would help much. I just looked at my purchase history and I bought $750 of small tool steel rounds from McMaster last year. I doubt you could get close to what McMaster pays for shipping.

Here are the sizes I used last year, all rounds.

(A2) 3/16, 1/4
(O1) 1/4, 3/8, 7/16

I would hate to see what I am actually paying per pound.

Just a quick look on their site at 3/8" and it looks like a little under $10 a pound for O1 and $15 for A2. Not a bad price for a small piece here and there. Too bad they don't have 3' flat rate boxes. I think a large is a tick under 24"

Just a quick look on their site at 3/8" and it looks like a little under $10 a pound for O1 and $15 for A2. Not a bad price for a small piece here and there. Too bad they don't have 3' flat rate boxes. I think a large is a tick under 24"

I am running the small tool steel rounds through a sliding headstock Swiss that wastes about a 7" bar end so I really prefer 6' bars but sometimes stuck with 3' ones.

Remember, UPS has flat rate service based on YOUR packaging, 50lbs max weight.

I can't remember cause I didn't know to begin with :D

That's not bad. A 3" x 4" x 72" box is about $17 and the max size is around $20. Less than $0.50 a pound for shipping something 6' long doesn't seem like a bad deal and it says up to 100" long :eek:

I can't remember cause I didn't know to begin with :D

That's not bad. A 3" x 4" x 72" box is about $17 and the max size is around $20. Less than $0.50 a pound for shipping something 6' long doesn't seem like a bad deal and it says up to 100" long :eek:

I forgot they called it "simple rate". Not as cheap as USPS but great for things that do not fit in USPS boxes.
Here is a thread on it:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...rate-shipping-now-370408/?highlight=flat+rate

Back