What's new
What's new

Want to Buy, Rent or Borrow (with deposit)

EarlF

Cast Iron
Would like to have temporary, one time use of a 127 division plate for a K&T Model K Dividing Head.

Thanks for your consideration.

EarlF

making transposing gears? For one time use making a 3d print may be another option for you.

I have a shop made dividing plate for a larger B&S you could borrow if you can't come up with anything easier. You could remake the center as necessary to fit your K&T.

Is a 3D printed plate going to be more accurate than a plate made with
a decent quality rotary table? Or made on a mill with a DRO?

I found sources for gears on flea-bay. The 50 tooth came from China, the 127 tooth came from Netherlands. The cost of the 127 tooth gear was less than my time was worth setting up the dividing head. another factor for me: The plates for my dividing head were too small to accept 127 holes.

Is a 3D printed plate going to be more accurate than a plate made with
a decent quality rotary table? Or made on a mill with a DRO?

Will it be as accurate? - No.
Will it be close enough? - ultimately depends on the end application.
Will is be less labor - yes, and less prone to errors.

127 is a prime number - so there will be round-off errors somewhere!

People are using fff (fused filament fabrication) to make gears with acceptable results. For a one time use dividing plate I think the higher end printer (not the $200 ones) would make something usable with accurate hole spacing. The feature sizes may require some process tuning (or just a finish ream to size).

You could also have it laser cut in 1/4" acrylic by a sign shop (or a local maker space).
Probably cheaper and much less aggravation than printing.
If you want to use it more than once have them cut it in Delrin.

Sorry, I can't resist. How about a disc of paper and punch the holes with an ice pick?

For oddball numbers I can't do with my dividing head I draw up a disc the diameter of a dividing plate, put the required number of dots around the inside of the periphery, and stick it on a plate (there's always a little room around the outside of the plates). Just put the plunger on the dot. For a one time use it's a little more of a pain than using a plate with holes, but the accuracy at the workpiece is 40x (60x in my case) better than your eyeballing of the plunger on the dot. It really does work just fine.

Back