What's new
What's new

Want To Trade: Very Large Boring Mill / Planer Parallels for...

Elwood1968

Cast Iron
I recently acquired a pair of very large parallels (61" length x 8" height x 4" width) as part of a lot of fixtures, but don't have a machine large enough to use them on. These were made for use on larger machines such as boring mills and planers.

They're in decent condition (no serious nicks or dings) but they do have some light surface rust, especially one of them on the end where the end of the original wooden storage box was missing and on the side face against the foam padding. The wood boxes are a bit rough on the outside.

These parallels were made by J. C. Busch Co. (re-named Busch Precision in 1992) in Milwaukee, but they don't show anything of this size in their current catalog. The largest size they now list is 36" length x 8" height x 4" width, and these smaller ones apparently sell new for over $2,500 each.

I'd prefer to trade the pair for accessories for a Cincinnati Cinova 80 205-12 universal mill (but will sell if no one has trades), such as:
- The late-style 3hp independent overarm (with the internal motor);
- Type A and Type B arbor supports;
- Cincinnati 10" universal dividing head with footstock;
- The "Standard Enclosed Driving Mechanism" (the gearbox on the end of the table to drive the dividing head); and/or
- Any one of the three vertical milling attachments (universal, high-speed universal, and/or vertical milling attachment) made by Cincinnai for these No. 2 size non-dial-type mills.

Located in northern Michigan, but I can deliver for free to the north metro Detroit area, or crate and ship by Fastenal.

Some photos below, but many more available by email on request.

100_1455.jpg100_1456.jpg100_1436.jpg100_1437.jpg100_1439.jpg

Cast parallels like these are also used for large surface-plate work and inspecting large machinery when it is commissioned or being rebuilt.

I have one exactly like those. It was never used as a parallel. Mine came from Devlieg.

Heavy indeed.

Most of the HBM sized parallels I have and have looked at are milled or planed from solid or a weldment. I think what you have there would be unusual to be used for fixturing large parts for machining.

I use mine for alignment and setting machines. Often 2 people are needed to set and remove because of size/weight.

Could be. I have no experience with parallels or straight edges of this size, and these were listed as parallels, possibly because there are two of the same.

I should also note that these are actually 2-1/2" wide, not the 4" as in my initial post.

Cast parallels like these are also used for large surface-plate work and inspecting large machinery when it is commissioned or being rebuilt.

I’ve never got the fascination with camelback/fishback straight edges. I’ve only ever used parallel straight edges so I can use a level with them. We called them bedding plates where I apprenticed

Open to selling these without a trade. Crated and ready to ship by truck freight or Fastenal, or can deliver to some areas of Michigan: crate is 70" length, 16-1/2" wide, 16-12" height, 392 lbs.

20230724_144414.jpeg

Make me an offer.

Back